Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by angelbones)
    Yeah.

So glad there were places selling camping chairs though! I stupidly didn't think I'd need one... and then bought one first thing on Saturday morning

Also, really passive-aggressive people in the crowd behind you who *****ed endlessly when you stood in front of them because they were taller than you and you couldn't see.
    I may have given one woman a right mouthful for doing that.
    I hope you deeply offended her.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yituool)
    I hope you deeply offended her.
    So do I she stormed off in a huff afterwards!

ReputationRep:
    It was my first Sonisphere festival, and my first ever festival at that. I'm so glad i went! We got there Thursday, and i had a bit of a breakdown (being a tid bit OCD about hygiene and not used to the whole...culture, if that's the word, of it) that night, but by Friday, when the music started, it was brilliant! I got over being silly by then, and really enjoyed myself after that. 8D
    As sad as it sounds, i was more fussed about the smaller bands. I did miss around half an hour of Metallica (being that i'm not too fussed, i like the songs they released, but that's about as far as i got with them) for Blood Red Shoes who really surprised me. But after, we ended up watching a good chunk of Metallica, but -ashamed to say it- got rather bored after a while. I think it really makes the experience if you know the songs a band is playing!
    Mastadon were really good, as were InMe, Richard Cheese (brilliant set from him, although i was a bit miffed i couldn't get any closer!), and Weezer. I think they were probably the highlights. Aswell as Slipknot, who were rather amazing - i was never really a fan before, but after their set, i'm a total convert! I missed Opeth, which i was a bit miffed about, and Bill Bailey (although this was because we found shelter under a food stand and didn't want to miss Slipknot and lose this spot!), but we could hear Bill Bailey from where we were, and it sounded good. Also, i'd never really listened to The Mars Volta before, but they were rather good too! Sum 41 were also great, and Arch Enemy, although i'm not a fan of screamy death metal type stuff, instrumentally they are amazing, and really great live. I thought Limp Bizkit's set could have been better - he spent so much time buggering about (for example when there was music playing in the background and he just went up to the crowd to touch a load of them), when they could have played a good few more songs. Also, i still dislike Biffy Clyro, but they were excellent live. All in all, i'm glad i stuck it out, as i really enjoyed myself, and will certainly look into going next year - tempted to look into Rock Royalty though! Having to lug everything to the campsite was a bit of a pain for me, having no arm muscle, just arm flab. =P
    Also, i was a bit miffed that on our campsite there were no showers, i only saw any on the other campsite (South) which i thought was a bit out of order. |:
    But luckily it wasn't too hot, so managed to go without!

Sorry for the excessive use of the word "good". Haha. I'm still not very with it!

And on the note of short people - being one, i was a bit annoyed at how low the screens were on the Saturn stage, especially with the hill! But you can't really be angry and taller people going in front of you because there's space there. I think it was more when i was blatently watching the screen, and there was the tiniest of spaces and someone would barge into it. Which rarely happened thankfully. =P

ReputationRep:
    Does Sonisphere have security stopping and letting people into the tent stages?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    I know the Bohemia stage did to control the amount of people going in. They really weren't organised though.

(Original post by Paper Flowers)
    xx
    Yeah, if I go again I definitely think I'll go for Rock Royalty - we were camped at the bottom of the hill, it was a pain in the bum walking up to the arena every day!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obfuscator)
    I don't think Killing With A Smile is their best album, it certainly has the best breakdowns in which they should've considered when they played live. When I saw them back last November they played Romance is Dead and I think that was all from that album, really needs Smoke 'em.

That Protest set list sounds pretty good for the short time they had. I think Hair-trigger is way better than Sex Tapes, though I do love that whole album.

I was right at the barrier for Anterior too, we probably saw each other numerous times over the weekend hahaha. Really hyped for their new album now.
    For me it blows the other two away. Smoke 'Em, Gimme A D and Anasasis (Xenophontis) are my favourite Parkway songs.

I prefer Sex Tapes but tbh the whole album is great. I think instead of Wretch something like Heretics And Killers or Blindfolds Aside would've been good.

I was to the left of the stage in a black poncho looking metal as **** (hardly...) It's going to be a great album - released the day before my birthday!

I wouldn't be surprised that if I saw a picture of you I recognised you hah

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Yeh it was absolute ****. I got stopped at Red Bull before Rise To Remain and at Bohemia for Tek-One's DJ set. Half the tent was empty but they refused to let me in because 'they were told not to'. Scouse ****ers...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 69Crazyfists)
    Yeh it was absolute ****. I got stopped at Red Bull before Rise To Remain and at Bohemia for Tek-One's DJ set. Half the tent was empty but they refused to let me in because 'they were told not to'. Scouse ****ers...
    Is there any reason why they have to do it? I mean like they dont do it at Download which basically seems to be if it gets full people just stand outside.

Speaking of which I also missed Rise To Remain at Download. :mad:

ReputationRep:
    WTF happened during Steve-O's set? Did people barge past security or did they just let a load of people in suddenly? All making a ****ing racket interrupting him. Steve-O didn't really have any idea what to do (he's not been doing stand-up long).

And then what were security playing at after? Stopping people from getting in is 1 thing, but then not even making an effort to help people get out of the tent. All they had to do was get the people waiting to come in to move out the ****ing way, everyone wanting to get out would get out quicker, everyone wanting to get in would get in quicker. Not ****ing rocket science. You'd think with them doing security at a festival with 60,000 people they'd be taught a bit about crowd control.

And one more rant. We went back to the car after setting up our tents to get the rest of our stuff. And then had to queue again with the new arrivals. They had things more organised come Friday though, one queue for day tickets, one queue for camping arrivals, and people who already had their wristbands could go through the family camping side of the wristband exchange.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devel)
    Is there any reason why they have to do it? I mean like they dont do it at Download which basically seems to be if it gets full people just stand outside.

Speaking of which I also missed Rise To Remain at Download. :mad:
    I got to see Rise To Remain but they spent ages faffing around making people queue.
    The security didn't know why, they were just following orders. I agree that's the sensible way to do it.

ReputationRep:
    For me it blows the other two away. Smoke 'Em, Gimme A D and Anasasis (Xenophontis) are my favourite Parkway songs.

I prefer Sex Tapes but tbh the whole album is great. I think instead of Wretch something like Heretics And Killers or Blindfolds Aside would've been good.

I was to the left of the stage in a black poncho looking metal as **** (hardly...) It's going to be a great album - released the day before my birthday!

I wouldn't be surprised that if I saw a picture of you I recognised you hah

I've almost never listened to Anasasis for some reason, I'll check it out now. Smoke 'Em really does just tear everything apart haha, I used to think Romance is Dead was the best on the album, but nahh... haha.

Yehh Heretics and Killers is probably the best on Kezia and would be awesome live. I really like Turn Soonest to the See as well, I think that would work well live.

I was to the left of the stage right in front of the guitarist on the left (I don't know their names, terrible I know). Look on my TSR page I just put up one really bad pic of me from Soni, I'm the scumbag on the right pulling the horrible face hahaha. Probably the most attractive I've ever looked.

ReputationRep:
    I've almost never listened to Anasasis for some reason, I'll check it out now. Smoke 'Em really does just tear everything apart haha, I used to think Romance is Dead was the best on the album, but nahh... haha.

Yehh Heretics and Killers is probably the best on Kezia and would be awesome live. I really like Turn Soonest to the See as well, I think that would work well live.

I was to the left of the stage right in front of the guitarist on the left (I don't know their names, terrible I know). Look on my TSR page I just put up one really bad pic of me from Soni, I'm the scumbag on the right pulling the horrible face hahaha. Probably the most attractive I've ever looked.
    Yeh I like that one too. IMO there's no bad song on the album.

I love Turn Soonest! They played it in '09 at The Underworld, it was great. My favourite from Kezia is She Who Mars The Skin Of Gods, but I realised a long time ago they never play that live.

I can tell you their names. The guitarist in front of you with the long blond hair is Leon Kemp, the guitarist in front of me with short hair is Steve Nixon (formerly of Mendeed), the bassist is called James Britton, the vocalist is Luke Davies and I have know clue who the drummer is. They change the drummer quite a lot.

Hah lovely picture. In fairness, most pictures of me turn out similarly.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I like that one too. IMO there's no bad song on the album.

I love Turn Soonest! They played it in '09 at The Underworld, it was great. My favourite from Kezia is She Who Mars The Skin Of Gods, but I realised a long time ago they never play that live.
    Do you know if they're playing any other UK shows any time soon? I really want to try and see them some time.

I can tell you their names. The guitarist in front of you with the long blond hair is Leon Kemp, the guitarist in front of me with short hair is Steve Nixon (formerly of Mendeed), the bassist is called James Britton, the vocalist is Luke Davies and I have know clue who the drummer is. They change the drummer quite a lot.
    I've been well and truly out-anteriored.

Hah lovely picture. In fairness, most pictures of me turn out similarly.
    That was me pulling a face, just in case you didn't notice I assume, though, you don't recognise me? No surprise to be honest, would've been cool if you did though haha

ReputationRep:
    Do you know if they're playing any other UK shows any time soon? I really want to try and see them some time.

I've been well and truly out-anteriored.

That was me pulling a face, just in case you didn't notice I assume, though, you don't recognise me? No surprise to be honest, would've been cool if you did though haha
    They haven't announced any recently. I think they did one earlier in the year just before they released Scurrilous, but knowing them it won't be long until they are back.

It's hard to out-anterior me. I was the first one in the signing tent to meet them
    Also Leon and Steve are 2 of my favourite guitarists

Yeh I didn't, but there were so many people, it's hard to remember.

ReputationRep:
    They haven't announced any recently. I think they did one earlier in the year just before they released Scurrilous, but knowing them it won't be long until they are back.

It's hard to out-anterior me. I was the first one in the signing tent to meet them
    Also Leon and Steve are 2 of my favourite guitarists

Yeh I didn't, but there were so many people, it's hard to remember.

Was that the one with Born of Osiris, with Darkest Hour as the headliners? I was gonna go to that, absolutely gutted I didn't go (I don't even know why i didn't go)

And that is very keen. Yeh, they were certainly some of the best guitarists, if not the best, that I saw on the weekend. Real passionate and tasteful playing as well as technical ability.

Yeh man i suppose being intoxicated the whole time probably didn't help either hahaha

ReputationRep:
    There was a webcast of some of Sunday's performances (Parkway Drive, Mastodon, Motorhead, Opeth and Slipknot), so plenty of videos from the webcast on Youtube to relive the moment
    Currently watching some Slipknot

ReputationRep:
    Was that the one with Born of Osiris, with Darkest Hour as the headliners? I was gonna go to that, absolutely gutted I didn't go (I don't even know why i didn't go)

And that is very keen. Yeh, they were certainly some of the best guitarists, if not the best, that I saw on the weekend. Real passionate and tasteful playing as well as technical ability.

Yeh man i suppose being intoxicated the whole time probably didn't help either hahaha
    I think so yeh. I wasn't keen on any of the other bands on that bill so I didn't go. I don't dislike Darkest Hour but I find them kind of boring. They did one last year but they were supporting Propagandhi who I don't like so I didn't go then either. They'll be back soon.

Those guys, Josh Middleton from Sylosis and Gus G from Firewind are 4 of my favourite guitarists and they were all at Sonisphere

I wish I had been. I took 3 crates of cider with me, was drinking them non-stop and somehow was barely tipsy. In the end I resorted to downing like half a bottle of jager. It was at that point I forgot how ****e it tasted without a mixer.

ReputationRep:
    Foo Fighters and Green Day have been "targeted" by the festival to make appearances next year.

Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Foo Fighters and Green Day have been "targeted" by the festival to make appearances next year.

Opinions?
    Foo's would be amazing for next year, though i wouldn't go if Green Day were headlining

I genuinely can't think what other metal bands could headline, cause after Metallica, Rammstein, maiden and slipknot in the last 2 years there not a huge amount of bands i can think of that will headline, maybe Sabbath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paper Flowers)
    And on the note of short people - being one, i was a bit annoyed at how low the screens were on the Saturn stage, especially with the hill! But you can't really be angry and taller people going in front of you because there's space there. I think it was more when i was blatently watching the screen, and there was the tiniest of spaces and someone would barge into it. Which rarely happened thankfully. =P
    Arrgghh, agreed! I'm 5'7, pretty reasonable for a girl, but struggled quite a lot to see the screens. Wouldn't have hurt to have hoisted them a tad, especially (like you said) given the hill in front of the stage. Only other critism of the weekend would be the security outside Bohemia - not letting anyone in even when the tent was half empty seems a little senseless. Or, like when we were waiting outside the tent to see Steve-O, only letting people in from one queue and not the queues either side of it.. didn't seem utterly fair. Negatives aside, what an amazing weekend! Saw Metallica, Splitknot and Richard Cheese, gave my morphsuit an outing, survived on a diet of Asda value crisps and spaghetti hoops, rinsed a very reasonable amount of vodka.. all is well.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.