Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MasterJomi)
    I'm not generalising, just giving you my opinion based on the experiences I've has so far. And I do know for a fact that not everyone is like this, just the frequency in which I've come across them is quite high.

I already mentioned before that my opinions were based on the experiences I've had with Americans...
    Yes you're entitled to your opinion etc but it's my opinion that your experiences so far are quite limited to make statements like "From what I've noticed, american kids/teenagers are generally ridiculously ignorant".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Texan88)
    Shut it you know you love us Americans :sexface:
    the accents are so hot :coma:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a problem with America and I don't know anyone who does :confused:

Every country has bad aspects to it.

ReputationRep:
    S'all about Valley girls' accents. daaayum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flowermaster91)
    You know it :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesman13)
    oh and one more thing, i think in the USA you would call them 'liberals' its the liberlas who hate america, conservatives, and more importantly those who couldnt give a flying toss about politics (90% of the population) go on about how much they love amerirca and want to live there when theyre older thinking its the most amazing place in the world - im sure its nice but seriously learn that in every forum there is going to be a very homogenous population.

eg on a TV forum you tel them youre american and theyll jizz themselves

i love america
    It's the "liberals" who hate America?

Don't put labels on anyone. President Obama's supporters are so-called "liberals." His supporters hate America? I thought we elected him because we love this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadiasarah)
    It's the "liberals" who hate America?

Don't put labels on anyone. President Obama's supporters are so-called "liberals." His supporters hate America? I thought we elected him because we love this country.
    well we dont call them liberals here we just say theyre left wing but its those people in britain who hate america because.
    the right wing likes america and wikileaks has just revealed our conservatie government were proper sucking up to america even before they got into power!

ReputationRep:
    I am a strange individual who likes toast ..........................

On a serious note, I think the reasons why people will like certian countries and dislike certian countries vary, I personally like America/Americans, although I do disagree with certian things, but overall I dont have any problems with almost any countries although I do respect others right for freedom of speech

ReputationRep:
    More like nails down a blackboard

ReputationRep:
    I dont hate America,but i dont like it....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kingofhearts92)
    More like nails down a blackboard
    i was talking about the men, plus theyre better looking

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovely_me)
    No you're not. You're a nation of intolerance, with an illegal war under your belt that you are still fighting so many of your laws are terrible and bordering on lunacy. :
    you do realise that we are still fighting in that war aswell? along with afghanistan.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=flowermaster91;28830301]i was talking about the men, plus theyre better looking[/QU

So,basically what your saying,is that all British men are ugly and all American men are not,have you seen Mickey Rourke or watched Jerry Springer????

ReputationRep:
    plus theyre better looking

:lolwut: Yum.

Stereotype fail :p:

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cassandra_Z)
    I didn't realize how much people from different countries absolutely hate and resent the country that I absolutely love until I came across a post in this student website.

I know I am going to get bashed for this post, but I am already aware of that and am fine with that fact since I just want to understand other countries views.

I am American and I do know that our country isn't the best, but I am still proud to be born and raised here. For all of those who dislike me just because I am one, all I have to say is that you should really travel to see our country, to meet people here our different communities and backgrounds, and just to get to know more us instead of bashing us head on. I apologize for my rambling on, but if you were in my position what would you think? say? or even do?

I want to know what you dislike about my country and why? Please don't be too harsh, I am not trying to insult or piss off anyone. I am merely asking the question to understand peoples views and hear different opinions.

I am British (not that everyone over here shares my view) I don't dislike YOU, I dislike the country as a whole. The system which advocates human rights, yet worships the death penalty. the fact that everything in my country is slowly being Americanized. The way that American officials look down on us. The accent and language being called "English" when it actually insults proper English. Oh I could go on...

But the ordinary American people I am fine with.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamesey)
    I am British (not that everyone over here shares my view) I don't dislike YOU, I dislike the country as a whole. The system which advocates human rights, yet worships the death penalty. the fact that everything in my country is slowly being Americanized. The way that American officials look down on us. The accent and language being called "English" when it actually insults proper English. Oh I could go on...

But the ordinary American people I am fine with.
    I don't think idolize is a proper word here. You make it sound as if the death penalty is used frequently. It is really only enacted on serial killers and on very severe cases, and honeslty my personal opinion is that ****ed up people like that don't tax payers money to stay in a jail for the rest of their lives.

I don't think your country being Americanized is our fault. I understand our media is everywhere, but if the British didn't like it then they didn't have to accept it.

This is subjective. Studies have shown that the American accent is closer to the older English accent than the modern English accent. No one can ever really know which is correct seeing as no one alive today heard that accent. Also, look up the word color on dictionary.com. When you spell it "colour" it says British version, but when it is spelled without the u it doesn't say anything. That leads me to beleive that GB is the only place which spells that words that way, so by everyone else's standards, Brits would be using improper English.

ReputationRep:
    Most Americans are like you, that's why they were so surprised when 9/11 happened.

The minute they leave their safe haven and step outside the box they realise this is the case. Then they start pretending they're Canadians so that everyone will love them.

ReputationRep:
    I respect America, but the country's only true contribution to world culture is ICT. Coca-Cola and Subway don't count. lol..

I think it's bad though, since it had to have a civil war to end slavery, and was an essential apartheid state at one stage. The UK was never like that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allie-23)
    I don't think idolize is a proper word here. You make it sound as if the death penalty is used frequently. It is really only enacted on serial killers and on very severe cases, and honeslty my personal opinion is that ****ed up people like that don't tax payers money to stay in a jail for the rest of their lives.

I don't think your country being Americanized is our fault. I understand our media is everywhere, but if the British didn't like it then they didn't have to accept it.

This is subjective. Studies have shown that the American accent is closer to the older English accent than the modern English accent. No one can ever really know which is correct seeing as no one alive today heard that accent. Also, look up the word color on dictionary.com. When you spell it "colour" it says British version, but when it is spelled without the u it doesn't say anything. That leads me to beleive that GB is the only place which spells that words that way, so by everyone else's standards, Brits would be using improper English.
    But English is english so if it's the way we use it then it's the right way, because it is english.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.