Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2018 will be an awesome world cup for african people...pay back for south africa & vuvuzelas....?
    At any rate qatar is a better choice then russia, at least they'll deliver, the venues are close together, they'll most likely losen their rules and restrictions. Russia on the other hand will not be able to get rid of racism so quickly, can't do anything about the long distances and we might have a repeat of Delhi 2010.

Well done fifa:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    England only got 2 votes, less than Holland/Belgium. Oh dear.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jb9191)

Korea/Japan
    Oh that one. Yeah that was a bit homo. I can remember young Korean/Japanese women being rather excited about it all - and a tournament plagued by bad refereeing...

Anyway. I prefer watching the likes of the French Open, Wimbledon and the Olympics, to world cups. We're **** at football anyway. We need to get good again at playing football before thinking about hosting a world cup, ffs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloop)
    Actually gutted! I want to work for FIFA and now.. Well. I don't speak Russia or Arabic, so goodbye World Cup!
    But, aside from that.. Are they serious?!?! Disaster looms.
    Football tournament hosting is about politics... people working to put on a show and share their culture.
    It also gives an economic boost to many people.

What is it like to be the average Russian?
    Life is cold, hard, little money or hope, there is a lot of violent gang activity.
    No wonder they drink so much Vodka!
    Russia getting it reduces their alienation from The West.

We have a pseudo-World cup every week as the best players in the World play here!
    (incl. Arshavin)

Similar arguments with Qatar getting 2012, another right choice.

We have also seen that we have a future King who wants to do his best for the nation, a Prime Minister who gave it priority - they showed how to do a presentatiuon.

We have the pagentry of a Royal Wedding based on love next year, then the Olympics the year after!

2018 is 9½ years away, Russia & Qatar need time to get organised, they now have a goal.
    The World is a (slightly) better place. FIFA got it right I think.

ReputationRep:
    I hope 2026 goes to Jamaica

At least then if its **** we can all get high and forget its even taking place as we drift into oblivion.

Wake up after 20 joints and the whole thing is over ! Phewww !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    Why are FIFA against joint bids? They didn't seem to mind in 1996(?) when they gave it to Korea/Japan
    lol :rofl:[s]. it was 2002. and joint bid are a waste, they take away an extra qualifying space.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucy :))
    Why are FIFA against joint bids? They didn't seem to mind in 1996(?) when they gave it to Korea/Japan
    They had one in 2002

They're not completely against it, it's just they dislike it a bit, probably because of border issues

ReputationRep:
    Why do FIFA have to award the WC to such **** countries.

I went to Qatar once, one of the most boring and depressing countries in the world. As for Russia, just read the Wikileaks cables and see what was said about it.

Seriously, why can't they just give it to normal countries. Holland/Belgium, Spain/Portugal or England. Or USA or Australia.

FIFA must be getting bribed by these no-hoper nations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 419)
    lol :rofl:[s]. it was 2002. and joint bid are a waste, they take away an extra qualifying space.

Its very poorly worded but I meant they awarded it to them in 1996. My bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Football tournament hosting is about politics... people working to put on a show and share their culture.
    It also gives an economic boost to many people.

What is it like to be the average Russian?
    Life is cold, hard, little money or hope, there is a lot of violent gang activity.
    No wonder they drink so much Vodka!
    Russia getting it reduces their alienation from The West.

We have a pseudo-World cup every week as the best players in the World play here!
    (incl. Arshavin)

We have also seen that we have a future King who wants to do his best for the nation, a Prime Minister who gave it priority - they showed how to do a presentatiuon.

We have the pagentry of a Royal Wedding based on love next year, then the Olympics the year after!

2018 is 9½ years away, Russia & Qatar need time to get organised, they now have a goal.
    The World is a (slightly) better place. FIFA got it right I think.
    I think you'll find 2018 is approx just under 8 years away.

As 8 years onwards would be December 2018, therefore it would be a few months before that.

ReputationRep:
    Congratulation to Russia and Qatar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NJA)
    Do you know what the temperatures are expected to be? :holmes:

Have you tried to play football in those temperatures? :holmes:

Expect half the teams to pass the ball box to box. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    1656: Here's some breaking news that is difficult to swallow. England only got TWO votes out of 22 in the first round of voting.
    BBC Live text. Ouch

ReputationRep:
    It's all sport politics tbh. Gavin Hamilton (from World Soccer Magazine) gave a good interview discussing the politics of the whole thing.

When I got up and heard Blatter say our presentation was remarkable, then I knew we wouldn't get it. Our bid was good, we've got everything but do we have to shove it down FIFA's throats all the time?! "We love football" etc. I think FIFA know that already, all they want to know is about transport, how much money can they make and whether we agree to their eight point have to do's (which were highlighted in the Panorama programme). Instead, we do all the butt kissing, are told that we'll get some votes, do a slick and well done presentation = a paltry first round exit.

What it says is that sport politics (and maybe a few kickbacks) help and downplaying your bid and presenting what you can offer (e.g. Russia who's PM/President didn't bother attending) is more best to attain success rather than using pure, emotion to try and win.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by style)
    2018 will be an awesome world cup for african people...pay back for south africa & vuvuzelas....?
    At any rate qatar is a better choice then russia, at least they'll deliver, the venues are close together, they'll most likely losen their rules and restrictions. Russia on the other hand will not be able to get rid of racism so quickly, can't do anything about the long distances and we might have a repeat of Delhi 2010.

Well done fifa:rolleyes:
    Agreed, govenments can change rules but not people.

As a black man (and supporting a national team that has mostly blacks and arabs), I'm not looking forward to 2018 at all :sigh:

Russia I'm not actually that surprised about. The thing that it had going for it was that it was a country which had never staged the tournament before. In wanting a global tournament it needs to be truly that - global. Russia have the facilities to stage it I feel. But obviously the proof of the pudding will come in June/July 2018.

Now the Qatar selection I am amazed at, FIFA stated in SA that they wouldnt pick countries with weak home teams again - as a result of the 'disaster' of South Africa's elimination at the Group stage. - I think the issue with the others is the time difference - plus Australia would have a climate similar to South Africa - hence why I think that may have got the knock-back.

Personally I think USA and Australia would have staged better WCs but I guess Qatar have 11 and a half years to get it ready.

Anyone think these World Cups are being allocated far to early?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Poem boy)

FIFA must be getting bribed by these no-hoper nations.
      Everyone does bribary, just that the other countries were better at it. I mean giving handbags to wifes of fifa executive members and having beckham play kick about with kids in trinidad- was a very LAME attempt at bribary.

ReputationRep:
      The woman from Birmingham just shown on BBC news needs to calm down! "Why would you wanna go to Russia to watch the World Cup?! I'm disgusted!" Rude.

ReputationRep:
      Ea sports have announced the name for the 2022 official world cup game on PS3 and Xbox 360.

Qatar Hero.

ReputationRep:
      Most of you plebs don't even care about football so stfu m8s.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.