Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by odacel)
    I'm self-catered in Beaumont. Just saying. There are some houses (self-catered) on the site too, along with the blocks and the main building (catered).
    Which blocks are the self catered ones? I've been to the accommodation plenty of times and I knew the majority of Beaumont is catered
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wreemo)
    Which blocks are the self catered ones? I've been to the accommodation plenty of times and I knew the majority of Beaumont is catered
    Warden's Lodge which is all female and Rocklands House which is male definitely are. Also, I think the Gatehouse right at the front might be? I don't know if the Knowle and all of those houses, though some are definitely catered at least, in the botanical gardens are catered or self catered, someone else might.

But you are right that the majority of it is catered, in the 8 blocks right next to Beaumont House.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roh)
    Warden's Lodge which is all female and Rocklands House which is male definitely are. Also, I think the Gatehouse right at the front might be? I don't know if the Knowle and all of those houses, though some are definitely catered at least, in the botanical gardens are catered or self catered, someone else might.

But you are right that the majority of it is catered, in the 8 blocks right next to Beaumont House.

(Original post by odacel)
    As roh said, Warden's Lodge (female), Rocklands house (male), and then Gatehouse and Porter's Lodge, which are both male. I love the houses. We don't eat with the catered people, but how we get to know each other is amazing. Don't know if it's only this year, but the houses tend to visit each other more than the blocks.
    Thanks for the replies! I never realised there were single gender houses in Beaumont, always thought they were mixed with ground floor being lads and the 1st floor being girls like the blocks do.

By any chance are these self catered houses the buildings that aren't blocks? If so I know what your both on about. I always thought they were like staff housing or something

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit or any upfront rent before you move into any UoL accommodation? I know at DMU it's like £250!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BeautifullySimple)
    Does anyone know if you have to pay a deposit or any upfront rent before you move into any UoL accommodation? I know at DMU it's like £250!!!
    nope, no deposit

I was laughing at when my friends had to pay around £300 for deposits, haha.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, you have to pay a key deposit but that's only £30. I'm not even sure if you get it back...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBlackMonster)
    nope, no deposit

I was laughing at when my friends had to pay around £300 for deposits, haha.

EDIT: Oh I forgot, you have to pay a key deposit but that's only £30. I'm not even sure if you get it back...

:eek::eek::eek::banana: owww yeah UoL is sounding better and better by the day (HURRY UP OCTOBER!!!) lol. I could live with £30 haha!

ReputationRep:
    I'm really stuck between which accomodation to live in. I'm a socialble guy, like to make as many friends as possibe. I go out a lot, club etc. However I work hard when I have too. I'm looking to gain a lot of independence at university & I like a little bit of privacy. So what accom would people suggest for me? Would appreciate if people responded. Especially since we can apply so soon.
    JoFo was my main interest but I've frequently seen that its not as sociable as other halls ... help?!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GeeGaryJunior)
    I'm really stuck between which accomodation to live in. I'm a socialble guy, like to make as many friends as possibe. I go out a lot, club etc. However I work hard when I have too. I'm looking to gain a lot of independence at university & I like a little bit of privacy. So what accom would people suggest for me? Would appreciate if people responded. Especially since we can apply so soon.
    JoFo was my main interest but I've frequently seen that its not as sociable as other halls ... help?!

At a Uni like Leicester most people have worked hard during their A Levels to be there so don't worry too much about halls being too disruptive. Though unless you're a medic first year will probably be less intense than Year 13.

Privacy wise virtually all the rooms are singles so that shouldn't be a worry, avoid the handful of shared rooms but that's not difficult, just put them last when you rank the options on the accommodation form.

Most JoFo blocks are pretty sociable and you should make friends if you're outgoing, but it does seem to be widely accepted that GMS and Beaumont are quite a bit more sociable simply due to their layouts and going out lots/meeting a lot of people will be easier there.

With independence you are going to get a lot more than your used to being at anywhere in uni and you'll learn to handle it during First year, though this is a process that continues throughout uni.

Ultimately depends on how much weight you put on the social side of things. Though I would say everyone soon learns to love their room no matter whether it's JoFo or Digby and what they've previously been used to (I know a guy who loved his Lasdun room even though his parents had a country estate and he went to Harrow!) simply because it is yours.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for a flat for next term? Room S6.03 is available in CityBlock 2! The room is a Superior-Plus self contained studio and it's the biggest room in the building. It also allows for double occupancy, so both you and your partner could live there. Or alternatively just you if you're looking for plenty of space. CityBlock is located right next to town so has really good ease of access. Message me for more information, thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Larsson)
    i have just accepted my offer at Leicester as my firm and will look to apply for accomodation as soon as it opens, in march i believe.

i want to have an ensuite and at the moment im not too bothered about catered/self catered

i went to the uni yesterday and looked at John Foster and GMS and have now worked out that i can go in Beaumont, JoFo or GMS to have an ensuite.

JoFo seemed a little less social than the other halls, what would you guys suggest is the better place to choose? Beaumont, JoFo or GMS?
    Beaumont all the way! I live there now and absolutely love it

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know what date in March you can start to apply? Because I'm not going to firm Leicester until I've been to the UCAS open day on Saturday, so I hope that it won't open before then as it operates on a first come first serve basis.

Was there over summer, and this was either at Beaumont or over the road at the other one, of which the name I can't recall.

Spoiler:
      Show

This was inside my room, it was a bit messy at the time. Outside of view, to the right is a cupboard and a set of shelves.
      Name:  IMG_2415.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  510.4 KB
      This is the corridor outside the room, a wee bit grim looking but the picture wasn't a very flattering one. There were two bathrooms and one pokey kitchen, but nae bad.
      Name:  IMG_2416.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  501.2 KB

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Oromis263)
      Was there over summer, and this was either at Beaumont or over the road at the other one, of which the name I can't recall.

Spoiler:
      Show

This was inside my room, it was a bit messy at the time. Outside of view, to the right is a cupboard and a set of shelves.
      Name:  IMG_2415.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  510.4 KB
      This is the corridor outside the room, a wee bit grim looking but the picture wasn't a very flattering one. There were two bathrooms and one pokey kitchen, but nae bad.
      Name:  IMG_2416.jpg
Views: 234
Size:  501.2 KB
      The second picture looks like a good setting for a scene in a horror film.

(Original post by localfox1000)
        The second picture looks like a good setting for a scene in a horror film.
        My thoughts when I uploaded it! It wasn't bad though, and the food was pretty good

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by Oromis263)
        My thoughts when I uploaded it! It wasn't bad though, and the food was pretty good
        Yeah, tbf, from what i have seen, the accom seemed pretty decent.

(Original post by localfox1000)
          Yeah, tbf, from what i have seen, the accom seemed pretty decent.
          Oh, I did just remember though, some of the old house parts of the accom. (we didn't stay in the rooms, but spent the evenings/meals there) were pretty creepy in the dark, especially up on the third floor, alone with flickering light bulbs. We totally played sardines... ^_^
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by hollly)
          Does anyone know what date in March you can start to apply? Because I'm not going to firm Leicester until I've been to the UCAS open day on Saturday, so I hope that it won't open before then as it operates on a first come first serve basis.
          I don't know exactly when (email the accommodation office and I'm sure they'll provide an answer) but if you do it over the next couple of weeks you should be fine for virtually all the rooms. JoFo is always rammed full of medics, who often get offers later 'cause of interviews, and that's the most popular so you should be fine

ReputationRep:
          How much are the bus passes? and are they monthy..?

How long would it take to walk to uni from GMS?

Thanks!
          • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by inspiration91)
          How much are the bus passes? and are they monthy..?

How long would it take to walk to uni from GMS?

Thanks!
          This is the bus prices: http://www2.le.ac.uk/offices/accommodation/faqs/buses

You can also get a monthly pass, which works out pretty much exactly the same over the year, maybe about a tenner cheaper but more faff as you have to go to town to renew it.

The walk takes between 30-45 mins depending how frantic you are. If you aren't getting a bus pass a bike can be a good idea, as it only takes 10-15 mins.

ReputationRep:
          Has anyone managed to register online yet?

I just tried to do it, and it keeps say 'personal details not validated'

I'm a postgrad if that makes any difference...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.