Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Norfolkadam)
    It's all dependent on your pay. The person earning the lowest amount within the threshold pays back somewhere around the £10-20 per month figure. The old way of working it out is here, the new way, I can't be bothered to find but it's similar.

Do your research before you start ****ging people off.
    Wasn't ****ging anyone off

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaggedspike)
    Wasn't ****ging anyone off
    You called his/her point rediculous, even though they were right, so actually you did **** them off

But by all means play the innocent card because your arguement crumbled so fast, grow up a little then come back okay?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    How have the Tories destroyed your future?

Please bear the following points in mind:
    1. The Government is Coalition, not a Tory one
    2. Labour requested the Browne review
    3. You get a student loan
    4. You don't have to repay the debt until you are earning £21 000 a year
    define loan

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Margaret Thatcher)
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

The vote went through. Tuition fees have been raised.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    i think the protesters did high-light a valid point, the politics in the united kingdom is completely shocking, more shocking that the damage caused! the government thinks that it is acceptable to push through their unpopular policies without the consent of the majority just because they have a large number of seats. the government thinks that it is acceptable to go back on manifesto promises, which is the basis upon which people can see their party lines and decide to vote for them.. they have NO MANDATE for what they have done and it is totally undemocratic.

THIS IS WHY THERE IS A BACKLASH FROM STUDENTS EVERYWHERE THAT ARE POLITICALLY ENGAGED.
    students have every right to be upset , and may i add that the violent protesters are not 100% representative of all the protesters there, and that the protesters have NOT failed, they have demonstrated that political pressure will be applied when they fail to act in a democratic way and they have high-lighted that unpopular policies cannot be pushed through by a majority in the commons without people responding to it.

finally i would like to say that you can stick your stupid OLD FASHIONED tory ideas... cause soon LABOUR will be back in power especially now that Blair and brow have gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lovestruck91)
    i think the protesters did high-light a valid point, the politics in the united kingdom is completely shocking, more shocking that the damage caused! the government thinks that it is acceptable to push through their unpopular policies without the consent of the majority just because they have a large number of seats. the government thinks that it is acceptable to go back on manifesto promises, which is the basis upon which people can see their party lines and decide to vote for them.. they have NO MANDATE for what they have done and it is totally undemocratic.

THIS IS WHY THERE IS A BACKLASH FROM STUDENTS EVERYWHERE THAT ARE POLITICALLY ENGAGED.
    students have every right to be upset , and may i add that the violent protesters are not 100% representative of all the protesters there, and that the protesters have NOT failed, they have demonstrated that political pressure will be applied when they fail to act in a democratic way and they have high-lighted that unpopular policies cannot be pushed through by a majority in the commons without people responding to it.

finally i would like to say that you can stick your stupid OLD FASHIONED tory ideas... cause soon LABOUR will be back in power especially now that Blair and brow have gone
    Yes because Ed Milliband is doing a stand up job.

I wouldn't say any party have much to offer at the moment - but do they ever?

Really one of the main issues this university funding review is highlighting is the fact that there aren't enough alternatives for students leaving school. We simply need more apprenticeship schemes run by big companies, subsidised by the Government. So many students go to university, study something completely irrelevant to their course, and then get a job in something they could have been trained to do 4 years previously. Accountancy for example. Why the hell does anyone need to go to university for that?

On the other hand, university does offer the 'social' benefits. Ie. more often than not you become more confident and independent being there. Not to mention the opportunities on offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bosch)
    You called his/her point rediculous, even though they were right, so actually you did **** them off

But by all means play the innocent card because your arguement crumbled so fast, grow up a little then come back okay?
    So all criticism is ****ging off? Get real your overly emotional, I'd leave it to the person I criticised to make that judgement not a 3rd party. The figures he pulled out are ridiculous because it applies to a minority and asserted it actually applies to a majority. Provided you do a sensible degree at a reasonably respected university you are going to earn quite a bit.

Even if the starting salary is low and so you do end up paying those small figures your salary is going to increase inevitably due to inflation or a pay rise. Again rendering him point invalid.

Go find your sense of power elsewhere.

ReputationRep:
    You wasted your time, damaged property, injured people, disgusted the taxpayer - all for nothing. Zilch.

If anything, it's made the government's position stronger - as they now have the taxpayer on side, as most taxpayers have been disgusted by the violent acts.
    Thankfully, I am sure that most students will not fall for this utter ****e.

There is only one Party to blame for the disastrous mess we are in. The Labour Party.

The UK is at present facing between a £6 - £10 Trillion debt.

When Labour took office GDP was more like £360 Billion.

The Labour Party have literally done more economic damage to the UK than Hitler did.

It is truly unbelievable, that anyone could vote Labour.

[Voting left, and voting Labour are complete opposites]

ReputationRep:

Hmm yeah. The protests were poorly organized. I myself tried to escape but my damn school didn't let us - but we still made a massive commotion and ended up running around the school trying to escape.

What needed to be done was basically the protests, as well as a series of powerful letters to local MPs stating "If you do not represent us and our view, then we shall not vote for you in the coming election". This is what needed to be done. I am forming The British Union for Secondary School Students.

I shall keep posting updates on how the site is going. PM me for details!

**** THE TORIES AND VIVA LA REVOLUCION!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dan1el)

There is only one Party to blame for the disastrous mess we are in. The Labour Party.

The Labour Party have literally done more economic damage to the UK than Hitler did.

would you class voting left as voting liberal ? cuz id like to vote left but sure as hell wont be voting liberal after this screw job theyv pulled.

We certainly dont protest like the french ... thats the problem with us

ReputationRep:

The majority of your post is not accurate. Including the size of our debt which actually currently stands at less than 1 trillion.

It also may interest you to know that our debt as a percentage of GDP is below the average for the last 300 years. Come on people stop taking the debt rhetoric at face value and think critically.

ReputationRep:

Shame you don't have source for the increase in debt, luckily I do
    http://www.statistics.gov.uk/cci/nugget.asp?id=277
    £1tn - so you're only an order of magnitude out on that...

The recession during the war was larger and lifted public sector debt to 250%
    http://www.economicshelp.org/uploade...ifs-751548.jpg

How did Hitler do less economic damage to the UK?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mevidek)
    Hmm yeah. The protests were poorly organized. I myself tried to escape but my damn school didn't let us - but we still made a massive commotion and ended up running around the school trying to escape.

What needed to be done was basically the protests, as well as a series of powerful letters to local MPs stating "If you do not represent us and our view, then we shall not vote for you in the coming election". This is what needed to be done. I am forming The British Union for Secondary School Students.

How cliche...

(Original post by mevidek)

You're a bit special, aren't you? Maybe the rise in fees will slow the tide of this sort of idiot going to university in the first place. Our academic system is battered and bruised enough without all this.

ReputationRep:

Why are you so pro-fees anyway?

The changes reduce revenue and hence increase the deficit between 2012 and around 2030.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by im so academic)
      Lol. Students? Taxpayers? (Bearing in mind that it is not the majority who have a part-time job).
      You pay tax on just about everything.....

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by SpiritedAway)
      You pay tax on just about everything.....
      With money given to you by the state - hardly the same is it?

Or are people on the dole taxpayers too?

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quady)
      With money given to you by the state - hardly the same is it?

Or are people on the dole taxpayers too?
      Oh, so are they not paying VAT? Because I'm pretty sure if you're paying VAT then you are paying a tax.

And also money you are getting from the state which is acting as loan company. We pay the money back, in fact, I'd be surprised if there is no interest. So not only are we bringing our skills into to the world once we have graduated, we're also putting in more money into the system than what we borrowed. Key word there, borrowed.

ReputationRep:
      Oh, so are they not paying VAT? Because I'm pretty sure if you're paying VAT then you are paying a tax.

And also money you are getting from the state which is acting as loan company. We pay the money back, in fact, I'd be surprised if there is no interest. So not only are we bringing our skills into to the world once we have graduated, we're also putting in more money into the system than what we borrowed. Key word there, borrowed.
      Yes of course, but the state giving you some money then you giving a lot less money back surely can't count can it? Of course you are factually correct, but only three MPs actually did anything wrong with their expense claims, it doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong.

You don't have to pay the money back so its hardly borrowing is it? Or please enlighten me by define 'loan'/'borrow'.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Quady)
      Yes of course, but the state giving you some money then you giving a lot less money back surely can't count can it? Of course you are factually correct, but only three MPs actually did anything wrong with their expense claims, it doesn't mean they didn't do anything wrong.

You don't have to pay the money back so its hardly borrowing is it? Or please enlighten me by define 'loan'/'borrow'.
      Now Nancy Drew, try finding out your dusty old dictionary which you obviously don't use and look these words up :mmm:.
      It is a legally binding contract. Once you are earning more than £15K per annum, you pay it back. If you don't, you're in deep trouble. Hence why it's called a student LOAN.

ReputationRep:
      Now Nancy Drew, try finding out your dusty old dictionary which you obviously don't use and look these words up :mmm:.
      It is a legally binding contract. Once you are earning more than £15K per annum, you pay it back. If you don't, you're in deep trouble. Hence why it's called a student LOAN.
      So you can be made bankrupt for not paying it?

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.