Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    most Further Mathematicians can pretty much teach themselves.
    this is assumption made by teachers generally works well with pure and mech units however it doesnt seem to work too well with stats or decision for some reason - our teach assumed that us further mathmeticians could speed through S1 so he "taught" us variance s.d expected values in one lesson and half the class was clueless since teacher never went into much detail and we haven't done gcse stats either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsey)
    I've never taught Further Pure since it changed from P4 etc. Only taught D1 once, not really into Decision Maths. I have previously taught M2/M3/M4 but I have more impact teaching the standard units. Further Maths doesn't really require much teaching, more demonstration, most Further Mathematicians can pretty much teach themselves.
    The new books sure do make it easy to self teach
    D1 is'nt actually maths though is it?
    S2 is probably a better choice over D1 surely? or would FP1, FP2 and M2 be better for AS Further Maths?

It is Maths, just a different, modern form.

I would recommend only taking FP1 for AS Further and then 2 applied units, gives you far more options.

ReputationRep:
      Full Marks in this module!! Wooooo! How did you all do? xx

PS: whoever neg repped me..thanx a lot! Expressing happiness is apparently not appropriate. O.o
      • Community Assistant
      • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
      I got a D! 59 UMS - not too far off a C then. I think a retake? but I ain't good in mechanics. I got a B in FP1 and S2!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by mr tim)
      I got a D! 59 UMS - not too far off a C then. I think a retake? but I ain't good in mechanics. I got a B in FP1 and S2!
      Well done! 2nd time lucky then!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ajka)
      Well done!!!
      i got 87

ReputationRep:
      95!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So happy!

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Bubbles2010)
      Well done!!!
      i got 87
      Same! Congrats

I am quite pleased as I was focussing mainly on C3 and C4 soI was getting pretty rubbish marks in the practice papers leading up to this. I dont think I could have done any better. This gives me a fairly solid grounding for an A in fm (fingers crossed!)

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ajka)
      Congrats. Me too

ReputationRep:
      can someone please explain to me how the answer in 4a is found?
      and what were the grade boundaries for this exam?
      Thanks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by philippat)
      can someone please explain to me how the answer in 4a is found?
      and what were the grade boundaries for this exam?
      Thanks
      A* A B C D E N U
      Mechanics 2 out of 75 68 62 55 48 41 35 29 0
      grade boundaries and the solution for 4a is on page 14 of this thread in solutions by 'Arsey' .

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Ajka)
      A* A B C D E N U
      Mechanics 2 out of 75 68 62 55 48 41 35 29 0
      grade boundaries and the solution for 4a is on page 14 of this thread in solutions by 'Arsey' .
      thank you!
      just that I don't understand the idea of work done by force, work done by friction, how do we de decide in which direction does it go and which sign to put?
      can someone explaint this to me?
      Thanks

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by philippat)
      thank you!
      just that I don't understand the idea of work done by force, work done by friction, how do we de decide in which direction does it go and which sign to put?
      can someone explaint this to me?
      Thanks
      Well work done by force is the energy you need to raise the object so calculate the perpendicular height and use potential energy= mgh. Work done by friction is the energy you need to actually drag the object on the surface which would be Friction force by distance moved (the slanted lenght) = Frd . Then you add them up to get work done in moving the object.
      Friction oposes motion so as he's dragging the object up the fristion acts down.
      Hope this helps but its hard to write out so perhaps ask your teacher to explain it again.

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.