Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why are people so ignorant about suicide and depression? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    So I was reading this thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...9#post28902489

and I'm completely shocked and appalled at some of the responses, for example:

"Suicide is for the weakminded"
    "Survival of the fittest, he deserved to die"
    "I have no sympathy with people who do this selfish act" etc.

How can people be so heartless and ignorant? Also, surely people should be more angry at the bullies? That poor boy died because of some cold hearted, foul people who were complete and utter cowards.

Depression is a chemical imbalance for Gods sake, I don't know why people see it any differently from any other illness. Having it does NOT make you weak in any way, no more than having any other illness does. Why the ignorance and the judgement?

The problem here is the bullies, surely more should be done to combat bullying and abuse?

Urgh this makes me ridiculously angry. People who've never had depression or felt suicidal have no right to judge.
    It's the same sort of attitude the public at large had to homosexuality 20 years ago, the general public are ignorant about most things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Ali.)
    It's not silly to call someone who claims depression 'isn't that bad' ignorant.

Do you know mine? You don't know any of the illnesses I've suffered from, quite a lot of physical illnesses actually.

Why are they idiotic? I'm not downplaying cancer at all. I'm just saying that depression can be just as bad, and often is. That's not whiny or anntention-seeking. I don't think it's too much to ask that people stop judging those who have suffered from depressive illnesses, personally.
    At no point have I said depression isn't that bad, so your quotation marks are irrelevant.

It's a serious illness, just in no way as serious as cancer imo.

ReputationRep:
    seriously is this thread still going on! I think these 'depression' seriously need to get over themselves, and stop posting their threads on an ACADEMIC forum, i mean fair enough if your depressed go speak to a friend, a counsellor, a self help forum' if you decide not to them you yourself are only to blame. Plus i think most people fail to realise that most depressing threads are over pathetic and idoitic reasons such as break ups, and family arguments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trimmy)
    seriously is this thread still going on! I think these 'depression' seriously need to get over themselves, and stop posting their threads on an ACADEMIC forum, i mean fair enough if your depressed go speak to a friend, a counsellor, a self help forum' if you decide not to them you yourself are only to blame. Plus i think most people fail to realise that most depressing threads are over pathetic and idoitic reasons such as break ups, and family arguments.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=89

LOLWUT

I ****ing hate you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by concubine)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=89

LOLWUT

I ****ing hate you.
    I'm aware there is a health and relationship section within this site. However, this is mainly an academic forum, furthermore if you really had depression you would seek qualified/ adequate help. You wouldn't log on to the student room, which as its name suggest is predominately an academic site.

This is clearly a debate, so i think its a bit childish of you to say that.

ReputationRep:
    people still neg repping because you have an opinion. pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    I'm generally quite depressed, about the level of ignorance about suicide and depression. That and my sense of humour.

ReputationRep:
    haha who gave me a positive rep

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.