Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Asians, are you allowed to marry a girl/guy of your choice? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by boysenberry)
    Aha, hell no. The girl would have to be Muslim. If they weren't Pakistani (but still Muslim) they would be initially resistant, but would come around eventually.
    If I wanted to get married to a girl that wasn't Muslim I certainly could, but would lose my entire family in the process. Bit ****ty really!

yeah this. and for me she can't even be MP cuz my family all hates those lmao.
    i wouldn't want to get married to a girl from different religion or cast thingy anyway.

ReputationRep:
    glad I could help

ReputationRep:
    My mum doesn't want me to marry someone from my own country XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Evanesyne)
    My mum doesn't want me to marry someone from my own country XD
    that's because you're from Narnia...

ReputationRep:
    well, im allowed to marry anyone of my own choice, but as long they are from the same religion i guess.

i'd just like to say, there is some sort of confusion between arranged marriage and forced marriage, ppl need to learn what the difference is!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saha01)
    well, im allowed to marry anyone of my own choice, but as long they are from the same religion i guess.

i'd just like to say, there is some sort of confusion between arranged marriage and forced marriage, ppl need to learn what the difference is!

I think we need a new name for arranged marriages because it has a stigma that follows it everywhere! I don't think people are going to change their minds about it's meaning even though you and I both know an arranged marriages just mean that the parents are involved in the meeting of the man and woman, but it's up to said man and woman whether or not they go through with it

ReputationRep:
    Funny how if a white person said they'd only marry another white person, that's racist, but when anyone of any other ethnicity has a similar strict ethnic requirement it's just accepted..... :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catty khan)
    i'm patarn, i cant be ask to explain, so i opt out for saying afghan, its d same thing really, my ancesetors were from there and speak the languge.
    Oooh Ok cool

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MaxMaxMax)
    Funny how if a white person said they'd only marry another white person, that's racist, but when anyone of any other ethnicity has a similar strict ethnic requirement it's just accepted..... :confused:
    I don't think any rational person would say that a white person wanting to only marry a white person is racist... A lot of it is about attraction and that white person may just not be attracted to black or asian people. Same goes for the people of any other ethnicity that you mention, as long as they aren't negatively referring to people of a race differing from theirs it isn't racist, just preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cesar Lecat)
    Can I just state this to you. There is no such thing as Extremist muslim, religous muslim, relaxed muslim, moderate muslim or as you put it, modern muslims. There's only just muslims.

The open minded muslim is a still a muslim who followed their religion. You're urged to question the religion in Islam. Why do you think so many muslims know so much about their religion? Because they ask question and find out about it.

The simple fact is, your mother and fathers marriage was illegitimate under Islam. All muslims marry according to Islam. If your dad was not a muslim, then the marriage was not a marriage under Islam and sorry to say this, but you were born out of wedlock. Under civil law and the laws of the country, it might have been a marriage. But under Islam, it wasn't. Which is why I said, it was no different to a boyfriend/girlfriend relationship.

It does matter what religion the spouse is. A muslim cannot marry a hindu, man or woman. It's important you try and understand this. There's no ifs or buts about it. Islam only allows a muslim man to marry a Jewish or Christian woman who are practising and believe in their religion. Why? Because they are referred to as the people of the book in the Quran. A muslim woman cannot marry a Jewish or Christan man. Furthermore, Islam requires that under the condition of the marriage, the Jewish or Christian mother must agree that the child will be raised as a muslim.

What do you mean you follow the rules of Islam, but not so deep? What do you mean by that? Seriously, you could you please tell me what you mean by that? Do you follow the 5 pillars of Islam? Do you believe in the Quran?
    first of all my dad lied to my mum about being muslim and she found out he was hindu after i was born so no i was not born out of marriage to your knowledge of Islam because my mum was lied to.

secondly i've been researching this topic and proffessors who actually study islam split in 2 .some say marrying a non-muslim is a great sin and you will suffer the consequence in hell and some say it's illegitimate.
    Either way it's not right.I don't knowwhich one to believe in either.
    Also yes i agree that islam requires that you must raise your child as a muslim.

what i eman by following the rules iof Islam but not being deep is believing but not doing all.
    Yh i do all of the 5 pillars but i don't wear a headscarf for example.
    iI believe in the Quran but i wont choose my partner based on religion.
    if that makes sense..so i'm more of a sinner muslim.
    I just do the basics...the 5 pillars and not eat pork.

In our religion if you do the 5 pillars and not eat pork you are the most BASIC kind of muslim..
    The rest that you don't do will only burn in you in hell.

Like SOME very religous types even believe that having photos in the house is considered as sin and it's like you're worshpping them whereas i totally disagree with this idea right or not.
    Any kind of plastic surgery/artificial change in body is considered as sin but to me
    Breast/lip/nose surgery is nowhere near having braces put on..
    so i dont know if i'm sinning or not.i probably am but i'll face the consequence.
    Islam demands that women musn't make men want them.
    I consider this as reallly wrong idea as i think men should control themselves..
    plus it depends on the length of clothing you wear and your attitude.
    I agree stripping naked or wearing super tight clothes makes women desirable
    but wearing 1/2 sleeve or tying your hair in a messy bun hardly makes any difference..

so yh i do the most basic stuff to make me count as a muslim but other than that i'll burn in heall for not doing the rest.
    Though i haven't been to Mecca yet but am planning to later on in my life..
    basically i'v done 4 of the 5 pillars and don't eat pork.

ReputationRep:
    LOL NO.

In fact a large part of my family feels I can't even marry outside my caste (Yeah in India you have Hindu's and thennn caste's within the religion and even caste's within caste's!).

If I married someone outside of my cast a lot of my family wouldn't be too happy. Wouldn't want to think what would happen if I married someone outside of my religion.

Hey I don't care though, I'll marry who I want to.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    My birthplace is saudi arabia and yes I am to allowed to marry whichever girl I like. /Parents don't give rats ass to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Menakshelatte)
    first of all my dad lied to my mum about being muslim and she found out he was hindu after i was born so no i was not born out of marriage to your knowledge of Islam because my mum was lied to.

secondly i've been researching this topic and proffessors who actually study islam split in 2 .some say marrying a non-muslim is a great sin and you will suffer the consequence in hell and some say it's illegitimate.
    Also yes i agree that islam requires that you must raise your child as a muslim.

what i eman by following the rules iof Islam but not being deep is believing but not doing all.

In our religion if you do the 5 pillars and not eat pork you are the most BASIC kind of muslim..

Like SOME very religous types even believe that having photos in the house is considered as sin and it's like you're worshpping them whereas i totally disagree with this idea right or not.
    Any kind of plastic surgery/artificial change in body is considered as sin but to me
    so i dont know if i'm sinning or not.i probably am but i'll face the consequence.
    I consider this as reallly wrong idea as i think men should control themselves..
    but wearing 1/2 sleeve or tying your hair in a messy bun hardly makes any difference..

so yh i do the most basic stuff to make me count as a muslim but other than that i'll burn in heall for not doing the rest.

1) Some of the things you say here are completely irrelevant to Islam. The whole thing about people not putting up pictures in their houses- this is NOT part of Islam and therefore CANNOT be an aspect of the religion you disagree with because it simply isn't an aspect. This sort of behavior is a result of the misinterpretation of the rule that Muslims must not idolise or worship an image/statue.

2) The rule most Islamic scholars go by is that cosmetic surgery is allowed under one of two circumstances: Firstly, that the defect is causing the person to feel negatively about themselves to the point of severe unhappiness or depression or that surgery will improve the person's health. Secondly, that the defect is a result of an accident and so something is being fixed as opposed to changed. The same applies to braces, many people feel incredibly unhappy about the way they look and most of the time the way their teeth look is a result of environmental changes i.e. thumb sucking moving teeth forward.

3) Yes, Islam demands that women should not try to make themselves desirable to men. This is a point many people pick on especially in the West to try and make out that Islam is being sexist. However, if you take a closer look at the Quran, the male "hijab" is stressed around 3 times as often as the female. Men are to cover themselves from the naval to the knees and should avert their eyes from women they find beautiful or attractive (hence the self control you believe is not demanded from men).

ReputationRep:
    Wow man, it seems like there are so many restrictions for many of you

I can marry anyone I want (providing they're muslim) - and it'd be my preferance that she'd be a practicing muslim too anyway, so it's all cool.

Prob is that most of the girls that go out with guys have had sex of some sort - so it's like finding a needle in a haystack :crossedf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Billa Bong)
    well for pakistanis it's mostly arranged marriage so the parents choose the guy/girl but the western culture seems to be slowly getting there as well and i am hearing more and more people are turning to love marriages...for me (being pakistani) if i find love before 30 that i can honestly say i can spend my life with then i'll let my parents know and hopefully they'll accept my decision...but if not then i'll go with what they say
    Even if you're in love? How can you be so sure?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lastmanstanding)
    Wow man, it seems like there are so many restrictions for many of you

I can marry anyone I want (providing they're muslim) - and it'd be my preferance that she'd be a practicing muslim too anyway, so it's all cool.

Prob is that most of the girls that go out with guys have had sex of some sort - so it's like finding a needle in a haystack :crossedf:
    Sounds like me .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deema)
    1) Some of the things you say here are completely irrelevant to Islam. The whole thing about people not putting up pictures in their houses- this is NOT part of Islam and therefore CANNOT be an aspect of the religion you disagree with because it simply isn't an aspect. This sort of behavior is a result of the misinterpretation of the rule that Muslims must not idolise or worship an image/statue.

2) The rule most Islamic scholars go by is that cosmetic surgery is allowed under one of two circumstances: Firstly, that the defect is causing the person to feel negatively about themselves to the point of severe unhappiness or depression or that surgery will improve the person's health. Secondly, that the defect is a result of an accident and so something is being fixed as opposed to changed. The same applies to braces, many people feel incredibly unhappy about the way they look and most of the time the way their teeth look is a result of environmental changes i.e. thumb sucking moving teeth forward.

3) Yes, Islam demands that women should not try to make themselves desirable to men. This is a point many people pick on especially in the West to try and make out that Islam is being sexist. However, if you take a closer look at the Quran, the male "hijab" is stressed around 3 times as often as the female. Men are to cover themselves from the naval to the knees and should avert their eyes from women they find beautiful or attractive (hence the self control you believe is not demanded from men).
    Sorry, I have to disagree. The majority of scholars are agreed on the fact their must be no pictures (with eyes) as you cannot breath life into the picture, although there is indeed ikhtilaaf in this matter

I totally agree with everything else though

ReputationRep:
    I'm of Indian descent and in my family you marry whoever you want, regardless of where they are from. My mum reached an age where she was happy with where she was in life and wanted to settle down, her parents introduced her to a couple of guys, she went out for a coffee with them, and if she liked them they went out again, if not, she didn't. In the end she really liked my dad, they ended up getting married and are still happy today. So although my grandparents had a role, it was merely introducing them, they didn't pressure her in anyway. Both of my uncles married white women, and they never had a problem with that

ReputationRep:
    Okay then, if you put it like that. The marriage was fine then. Your mum believed him when he said he was a muslim. Kind of sick of your dad to do that to be honest. What kind of man lies t the woman he loves and comprimise the religion she believes in? That's just horrible

There isn't a split. I honestly don't know where you have been researching, but even your average muslim would know this. I can if you want, provide the quotes from the Quran?

The fact is, there is no debate or discussion on the issue. I mean look at this article to show you the proof....

http://www.oxfordtimes.co.uk/news/44...edding_divide/

Only one imam is doing it out of the thousands that are in Europe. Marrying a non muslim is a sin if you are a woman. Only a muslim man can marry a non muslim, but not just any non muslims, but only the people of the books. They are Jews and Christans. Anybody else is a massive no. Furthermore, they have to be practising Jews and Christians and must be virgins. (if they are practising, they wouldn't have sex before marriage) and then finally, there must be an agreement that the child will be raised as a muslim.

Do you want me to provide you the evidence? I mean, it really isn't that hard. Just google it

Not wearing a headscarf does not mean you are not a muslim

So wait, you won't choose your partner based on religion? You have to if you believe in the religion. Because if you want to be with your partner and he doesn't meet the requirements set in Islam, your marriage is illegitimate accoring to Islam.

Basic? No, your a muslim.

Hang on, are you serious? Breast/lip/nose surgery is nowhere near having braces put? Good lord. How many 13 year olds do you know who have undergone plastic surgery? The religion states you should not change your body for certain reasons. Having a breast surgery is shallow and not allowed. Lip and nose surgery is different and might be allowed. but for example if you have lip surgery to make your lip more "sexy" and pouty, then no. If it's because it looks weird and a bit odd, then fine.

Islam expects women and men to be modest. I agree with the last point. However if you wear tight jeans, don't expect a bloke to check you out. You're wearing it for a reason. To make you look good

Hopefully you'll find the time and money to go to Mecca. Millions of muslims have never been and never will go due to financial or health reasons. Just becuse you haven't been to mecca, doesn't mean you're a bad muslim. Just as long as you plan to go in the future

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 1, 2011
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.