Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

OCR Salters F334 Chemistry of Materials (26/01/2011) Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    any idea of grade boundaries? the last exam you only needed 70% raw marks to get 80% ums, so I'm hoping its the same this year, but a teacher told me that they have high grade boundaries for this exam because they don't know how well people will do in the coursework, and then they lower the grade boundaries for the final exam if to compensate...what do you think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by del1rious)
    did anyone else write addition and condensation for the cross linking crap??? what a laod of bull that question paper made me want to pick it up and slit my wrists with it.
    Yes

Noooooo! Leave slitting wrists for the results day (hopefully NOT though! :p: )

ReputationRep:
    what did people put as the REDUCING AGENT? im really scared now!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jacobic)
    any idea of grade boundaries? the last exam you only needed 70% raw marks to get 80% ums, so I'm hoping its the same this year, but a teacher told me that they have high grade boundaries for this exam because they don't know how well people will do in the coursework, and then they lower the grade boundaries for the final exam if to compensate...what do you think?
    Your teacher is wrong, they will make the grade boundaries of this exam depending on how people do in it, not on the coursework lol

(Original post by del1rious)
    what did people put as the REDUCING AGENT? im really scared now!!!
    the br- ion as it got oxidised

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MD 4p6)
    I cant remember that well, but i think put Br- as the reducing agent? Or did i put O3? Well what ever i put it took me 5 minutes to come to an answer
    I put Br- hope its right/

ReputationRep:
    oh mammaaa
    what a bad exammmmmm. FML FML FML
    one girl walked out of it
    I wanted to too
    arghhhhhhhh ={

ReputationRep:
    Pretty sure it's Br-. LOL

How about the question ... er something about how different enantiomers react differently in the body (2 marks)

ReputationRep:
    A reducing agent is oxidised, the Br- lost electrons to the oxygen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hidden_desire)

How about the question ... er something about how different enantiomers react differently in the body (2 marks)
    I put that the different enantiomers are different shapes so interact with the active sites in proteins differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    I put that the different enantiomers are different shapes so interact with the active sites in proteins differently.
    Me too SON

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Keckers)
    Same, and that optical isomers behave differently in the presence of other chiral centres e.g. in nose (?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deej)
    oh mammaaa
    what a bad exammmmmm. FML FML FML
    one girl walked out of it
    I wanted to too
    arghhhhhhhh ={
    seriously? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    It was awful. The bloody question about nappies?? What was that?! Hoping for low grade boundaries. Its so annoying, in both my mocks i got a substantial A, but this was awful! RETAKE!

ReputationRep:
    Same, and that optical isomers behave differently in the presence of other chiral centres e.g. in nose (?)
    I didn't write down any examples I really can't see where the 2 marks would come from in my answer

ReputationRep:
    Wasn't it e/z isomers not optical isomers?

ReputationRep:
    They're definitely going to raise the grade boundaries for this one. It was pretty easy.

ReputationRep:

different shapes so different enzyme catalysed reactions

(Original post by Trixy.Sam)
    It was awful. The bloody question about nappies?? What was that?! Hoping for low grade boundaries. Its so annoying, in both my mocks i got a substantial A, but this was awful! RETAKE!
    I KNOW SERIOUSLY F*** NAPPIES!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gozatron)
    There were bits about both. You had to draw an E/Z isomer, but there were two questions about optical isomers and enzymes.

ReputationRep:
    It was, yer. They still have different shapes though

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure it was talking about enantiomers....

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.