Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nizza123)
    I just bought a kindle, it's fantastic and convenient however i have this dream of building an amazing book collection with a slider ladder.

So i will still buy certain books that deserve to be read again and again.
    Yeah ive always wanted to build up a big collection of books over time. Technology had to come along and ruin everything.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of saving up for one for uni, I can't be carting my whole bookshelf around with me and they do look great. You guys think it's worth the price?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hipster)
    Yes, I no longer have to pay for books.
    This. I bought it as it made economic sense, pretty much every book can be found for free on the web.

I find them easier to read than a book as well :yes:

ReputationRep:
    I don't really like eReaders. When using one I just miss the feeling of holding a book in your hands I just can't get used to them, lol.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have one of my own but I really like the fact that the screen isnt too bright. But don't want to buy one because... I dunno, it doesnt feel like I am reading a book, it takes away some feelings attached to the book, it feels more like I am reading something off the internet, or just a random paragraph. I suppose it is different for everyone, I am one of those people who get use to change very slowly and really like things to stay relatively constant so I don't want one so far. I can see why it would be useful.

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting the 3G Amazon Kindle for Christmas and although there's absolutely nothing like holding and reading an actual book, the Kindle has cheaper books and is easier to carry around than a bunch of books. I was unsure at first because I love books so much but my Auntie got one when they first came out and that swayed my decision, I was very much impressed by them. I'll still have books but I think this will make carrying books around, especially as my course (English Language and Literature) requires a lot of books and, for example, the big thick Norton Anthology is a pain to keep carrying around! Quite looking forward to getting it to be honest!

ReputationRep:
    Yes it has, I definitely read more since I got mine. I got a case as well so it feels a little bit more like a real book. Also, you can read with gloves on!
    Imo Kindle isn't great for textbooks though, because it's really slow to type in a word to search and you can't leaf through as you would with a real book. It's best for books you read straight through from start to finish.
    I do feel like a traitor to real books though

ReputationRep:
    Yes

ReputationRep:
    I cannot wait to get my Kindle 3G on Christmas Day :suith: it's going to save me SO much money.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of maths textbooks aren't actually available free online, even illegally, and many of those that are can be difficult to read even on a computer.

I heard that the kindle isn't great at displaying maths, but perhaps that's more of a problem with the official Kindle maths books, rather than illegal ones which are just some guy who has taken photocopies of all the pages of his book, so that it's just like viewing photos to read the book.

ReputationRep:
    I find i read more, and faster, on a kindle. No idea why, i'm a fast reader anyway!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Reading this thread is tempting me to buy a Kindle if I do well for Christmas money, £89 seems really cheap for one! Especially with all the free books and books which are <£2. Tempted indeed!

Edit question: Can you plug the Kindle into your laptop or an ethernet connection? I don't have wireless at uni for downloading books, just wire internet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 04ghicks)
    Reading this thread is tempting me to buy a Kindle if I do well for Christmas money, £89 seems really cheap for one! Especially with all the free books and books which are <£2. Tempted indeed!

Edit question: Can you plug the Kindle into your laptop or an ethernet connection? I don't have wireless at uni for downloading books, just wire internet.
    yep

ReputationRep:
    This is a proper ball ache now. I really dont want one, but I want to get one.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have a Kindle but I have a HTC Desire and I spend a lot of time reading ebooks, I prefer it to a physical book

ReputationRep:
    so where can i download free books

ReputationRep:
    I love being able to curl up in any position in bed and be able to read. I love being able to get free books/illegally download them (I'm badass). I love being able to carry millions of books with me (though I still have about 4 real books in my bag in one go). I've read SO much more since having one.

ReputationRep:
    how much are books on it?, i heard the price went up?

The books I buy tend to have lots of large illustrations in them, so not really suitable for the kindle. Indeed most of them aren't even available on the kindle.

(Original post by Hipster)
        Yes, I no longer have to pay for books.
        Someone fill me in, are there places to get free books for Kindle? All I see on Amazon is Kindle books for £5 (more expensive than the paperback copy) and puts me in a ALL CAPS RAAAAAAAAAAGE!

I've seen a couple of sites that offer free books but seem to be arbitrary books or really old ones outside of copyright restrictions.

Submit reply
      TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2012
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.