Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Has anyone ever rejected an Oxbridge offer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My friend rejected Cambridge for Harvard...he's a bit too awesome at times

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jennaz77)
    I know a guy who rejected an offer at oxford just because it was for the only girls college. He ended up at Liverpool. Yes he is crazyyyy !!
    He got put in an all-girls college, alright then...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Doctor. SW)
    I think this is the reason some people reject Oxbridge offers, because the people are so stuck up and absolutely no fun
    :lies:

(Original post by deltaforce456)
    My friend was allowed to apply to oxford and cambridge for physics or something like that, he then rejected them both along with the other three universities and he got a scholarship at HARVARD instead. Absolute GENIUS!!! And i'm happy that i know him!!!
    Organ scholar?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zuzuzu)
    He got put in an all-girls college, alright then...
    St. Hilda's recently started accepting men :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
    St. Hilda's recently started accepting men :yes:
    Ahhhhh, I see.

Apologies to the person I originally quoted, then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smiling...Rain)
    Yep.
    The professors were lovely, the students on the other hand..
    I had never felt quite so belittled, a lot of the other applicants were simply, horribly demeaning.

Oh and I fell utterly head over heels with Durham
    Ouch what did they say to you? And how is Durham going?

ReputationRep:
    I rejected Cambridge... Either that, or I completely panicked at interview and forgot what photosynthesis was. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Very much so - someone from my school got an offer from Harvard about 3 years ago - he rejected Cambridge

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of people i know declined Cambridge 4 architecture there are about 5 better courses. My m8s girlfriend rejected her offer 4 Archaeology. My sisters friend rejected oxford french for bristol, a m8 rejected cambridge in favour of the caurthold institiute etc

Any reason for the neg? lol

ReputationRep:
    :lolwut:

Your friend is either lying, can't read or is seriously misinformed :yes:

(Original post by im so academic)
    Agreed, I swear you go on a year abroad for one year. Plus, Oxford has long holidays = more time abroad.

:lolwut:

I call bull****.

They definitely go on a year abroad. I know several people who have done so. That's not to say you're made to stay in the same place if you do two languages, or even if you only do one.

I don't call people liars or trolls easily but there's def something not quite right about that story :nah:
    not on the Japanese course? i looked it up with him, it only said one semester whereas Leeds offers a whole year!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mabelbarc)
    not on the Japanese course? i looked it up with him, it only said one semester whereas Leeds offers a whole year!
    Ah, Oriental Studies rather than MFL. Yes, they do something slightly different.

I don't know that many OS students but I'm sure someone I vaguely know of was somewhere for two terms rather than just one :yes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.