Edexcel A2 Philosophy and Ethics, UNIT4: Implications Watch

Sherlockedd
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by abigailmo)
Ive also been told that Hegel won't come up, my teacher has said it has to be Ayer and if not he's going to go mad at the exam board because what is the actual point of us learning it when it is never on the exam!

Pray Ayer
Whuuut, I liiiiiike Hegel but yeah, Ayer is the most likely
abigailmo
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Could some one please tell me in a nutshell, how Alvin Plantinga and Alexander R. Pruss have reinterpreted the Ontological Argument or the versions of the Cosmological Argument put forward by Fr Copleston or William Lane Craig

abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Sherlockedd)
Whuuut, I liiiiiike Hegel but yeah, Ayer is the most likely
I hate all this guessing! Its horrible
Jackhayes74
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Can someone break down the stages of Westphal's passage for me? Spend all day perfecting Ayer aha! Would be much appreciated! Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sherlockedd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I hate all this guessing! Its horrible
It is horrible :/ *sighs*

I'm going through and crossing out the paragraphs they've used before
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
It is horrible :/ *sighs*

I'm going through and crossing out the paragraphs they've used before
Yeah, that's a pretty good idea to be honest. I think it might be Ayer's first paragraph, you know about probability. Or, the paragraph about the yellow patch - which would be a gift!

What grade do you need?
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Jackhayes74)
Can someone break down the stages of Westphal's passage for me? Spend all day perfecting Ayer aha! Would be much appreciated! Cheers

Posted from TSR Mobile
He first off discusses the enlightenment period and why the shift from philosophizing about God to philosophizing about Religion, then there's the shift from theism to deism and Kant's deist project, then Schleiermacher and Hegel's view. Then there's the shift to atheism, which is Hume, Marx and Nietzsche . My teacher tells me to remember Kant as the saying of, "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" and Hume would say the baby is plastic, a fake doll, so get rid of it too!
flopped.it.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by fusion12345)
lol i dont know what to think
3 weeks back i broguht it to my teachers attention that alot of ppl r talking about a jan exam
and i got shot down, so i just presumed they were right

so if Westphal with this jan
does that mean it cant come up next week?
and if it was Donovan before it then Ayer shud this years?
There was a January retake in 2010 for the old spec that ended in 2009. But for the new spec there are no January retakes, and on the new spec Donovan has come up in 2010 and 2012, and Westphal in 2011. Fingers crossed for Ayer?!
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Which Paragraph's have previously come up for Westphal and Donavon? Has Kant came up for Westphal?
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
If it's not Ayer, then whereof one cannot speak, thereof one must be silent

Jackhayes74
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
He first off discusses the enlightenment period and why the shift from philosophizing about God to philosophizing about Religion, then there's the shift from theism to deism and Kant's deist project, then Schleiermacher and Hegel's view. Then there's the shift to atheism, which is Hume, Marx and Nietzsche . My teacher tells me to remember Kant as the saying of, "don't throw the baby out with the bathwater" and Hume would say the baby is plastic, a fake doll, so get rid of it too!
Thank you very much! I struggle to read Westphal at times, it's like a tongue twister! But now I know how to break it down! I really hope it is Ayer, I've perfected his argument, any paragraph and I know his argument! Hopefully the risk of focusing on Ayer will pay off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sherlockedd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, that's a pretty good idea to be honest. I think it might be Ayer's first paragraph, you know about probability. Or, the paragraph about the yellow patch - which would be a gift!

What grade do you need?
Well my teachers are expecting me to get an A* but after developments I doubt that... I need an A for my offer, but I'm worried because I blanked for developments and wrote three of the worst essays I've ever written in my life :L so yeah, need to pick up as many marks as I can here :L

I'd hate the yellow patch paragraph, I just can't seem to write much for it :/ the intro would be grand though...
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Thank you very much! I struggle to read Westphal at times, it's like a tongue twister! But now I know how to break it down! I really hope it is Ayer, I've perfected his argument, any paragraph and I know his argument! Hopefully the risk of focusing on Ayer will pay off!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh i know! Its awful! I hate that Westphal doesn't even put forward his view, he just talks about other's so its hard to say what you agree and disagree with in part 2.

Ayer all the way, please Edexcel!
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well my teachers are expecting me to get an A* but after developments I doubt that... I need an A for my offer, but I'm worried because I blanked for developments and wrote three of the worst essays I've ever written in my life :L so yeah, need to pick up as many marks as I can here :L

I'd hate the yellow patch paragraph, I just can't seem to write much for it :/ the intro would be grand though...
Yeah, I need an A* too! So much pressure. What questions did you do for developments? My developments was horrible! The invigilator kept coming over and talking to me in the middle of it asking me to write my name on my extra paper?! she asked me like three times! I was going to at the end. And i had to ask for extra paper aloud because no body seen me with my hand up and i was waiting for ages. I had to rush the last question because of it and i was gutted. Natural Law was awful!

Oh i just go on about Swinburne's principle of testimony and credulity and that. Yeah I would really love the intro, the intro has come up for Westphal and Donovan before so maybe?!
Jackhayes74
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Tbh with the yellow patch paragraph you can just say how the patch can be verified empirically so it is a genuine proposition but to deduct the existence of God through a religious experience has no logical sense therefore the argument becomes invalid and disposes of the argument which has previously been accepted by philosophers (potential to bring in RE philosophers), then go on to say about what comes before the paragraph and then go on to say the conclusion whilst linking back to the original paragraph, that's what my teachers told me to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sherlockedd
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Yeah, I need an A* too! So much pressure. What questions did you do for developments? My developments was horrible! The invigilator kept coming over and talking to me in the middle of it asking me to write my name on my extra paper?! she asked me like three times! I was going to at the end. And i had to ask for extra paper aloud because no body seen me with my hand up and i was waiting for ages. I had to rush the last question because of it and i was gutted. Natural Law was awful!

Oh i just go on about Swinburne's principle of testimony and credulity and that. Yeah I would really love the intro, the intro has come up for Westphal and Donovan before so maybe?!
Yeah, it is pressure! I did religious experience, religious language and virtue ethics/critiques

Tbh with the yellow patch paragraph you can just say how the patch can be verified empirically so it is a genuine proposition but to deduct the existence of God through a religious experience has no logical sense therefore the argument becomes invalid and disposes of the argument which has previously been accepted by philosophers (potential to bring in RE philosophers), then go on to say about what comes before the paragraph and then go on to say the conclusion whilst linking back to the original paragraph, that's what my teachers told me to do.

Posted from TSR Mobile
This way would make it so much easier, thanks!
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
yeah that is so much simpler, thanks!
abigailmo
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'm reading a part 2 response online to Ayer and they say how he is blunt, sarcastic etc, are you allowed to do this? I was told to not be too personally critical but this response is really good and does just that.
Jackhayes74
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Also I saw a good way to start an essay to Ayer on another post which isn't tailored to any paragraph;

-In his text 'God-Talk Is Evidently Nonsense' A J Ayer states that all God talk is meaningless because it cannot be empirically verified.
- He rejects both the Atheist and Agnostic view points due to the fact that they both deal with the non-empirical.
- Ayer states that the debate shouldn't even be considered due to the fact that the existence of God isn't even probable.
-The ultimate basis of his argument comes from his Verification Principle and the Logical Positivist view that both Metaphysical and Unscientific ideas should be rejected due to them not providing empirical evidence, therefore rendering them meaningless.

It helped me so I thought that I'd post it to help those who haven't seen it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Gee:)
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
is anyone able to clarify what Westphal says about Hume for me at all? Thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (427)
37.75%
No - but I will (87)
7.69%
No - I don't want to (76)
6.72%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (541)
47.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise