cavalera94
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The H)
What do we think about potential 6 markers for turning points?
I'd say maybe something to do with special relativity or discovery of the electron
Electron microscope

Posted from TSR Mobile
The H
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by cavalera94)
Electron microscope

Posted from TSR Mobile
Transmission maybe? Because I think there has already been a scanning tunnelling?
Or it could be both I suppose
david2457
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by The H)
Transmission maybe? Because I think there has already been a scanning tunnelling?
Or it could be both I suppose
Yeah it being on both and comparing the two could be a possibility, maybe even for seven marks. There has been one before
SortYourLife
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
I see what you mean here... logically in that respect the other person would be travelling 1.2c relative to you.

What would we then do to find the time relative to the "other person" (to go from A to B)... you could have the time you saw them go from A to B... but if you use 1.2c in the Lorentz factor... you can't square root that?

So they couldn't possibly ask us to do a calculation in situations such as this one? :confused:

Maybe they could ask it as a written question instead... where we'd have to quote E=mc^2 & that KE is converted into mass, therefore in reality it would never actually reach that speed?
Yeah respective to you someone's travelling at 1.2c however this is impossible as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light , c.

So for all of this to work, you have to change other factors like time and length.

I wasn't saying that they'd ever ask anything about it, but I never really understood the point of special relativity until someone explained it to me like that, that was all sorry if I've confused you aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
posthumus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by SortYourLife)
Yeah respective to you someone's travelling at 1.2c however this is impossible as nothing can travel faster than the speed of light , c.

So for all of this to work, you have to change other factors like time and length.

I wasn't saying that they'd ever ask anything about it, but I never really understood the point of special relativity until someone explained it to me like that, that was all sorry if I've confused you aha

Posted from TSR Mobile
aha no it's okay... I'd actually never thought of it from the perspective... "head on" hehe

Also I am confused because even a person would not be able to observe something with their eyes... something going faster than the speed of light, it is quite confusing, but pretty cool

I think it would be a good question, as a written question
SortYourLife
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by posthumus)
aha no it's okay... I'd actually never thought of it from the perspective... "head on" hehe

Also I am confused because even a person would not be able to observe something with their eyes... something going faster than the speed of light, it is quite confusing, but pretty cool

I think it would be a good question, as a written question
I know, something travelling that fast and you can go oh hey that was only 16m long, not the 120m it is at rest.... Aha :')

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lepton
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Fabz.)
Guys how many significant figures should we generally use?
If the question does not specify, then you always quote your answer to the number of significant figures of your least accurate term in the calculation. Hope this helps
UnknownOrigin
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Sorry if this has been asked/discussed before but I'm late ITT.

Possible 6 markers for nuclear and astro?

The nuclear paper has had two nuclear based long-answer Qs, and 1 thermal. So I'm thinking maybe thermal will come up, the derivation of pV = 1/3 NM(crms)^2 perhaps?

No idea about astro though tbh
DannyyP
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone direct me to some Applied Physics notes? I missed most of the lessons due to absences and could use some notes and questions.

Thanks!
The H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by UnknownOrigin)

The nuclear paper has had two nuclear based long-answer Qs, and 1 thermal. So I'm thinking maybe thermal will come up, the derivation of pV = 1/3 NM(crms)^2 perhaps?

For the nuclear paper I think it may be something to do with molecular kinetic theory, unless they repeat something they've already done.
But I don't do astrophysics
JRP95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Derivation of pV=blah blah.. I'm hopin that comes up because I won't attempt the 6 marker anyway and that one most people will get 0/6 because it's really hard, so lower grade boundaries overall (not to sound harsh or anything). Other than that radioactive waste, something to do with specific heat/latent heat.

Astro could be evidence for big bang theory, how reflecting telescopes work and advantage over refracting, life cycle of stars (giants and main sequence), something annoying on spectra and spectral classes.
amish123
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by JRP95)
Derivation of pV=blah blah.. I'm hopin that comes up because I won't attempt the 6 marker anyway and that one most people will get 0/6 because it's really hard, so lower grade boundaries overall (not to sound harsh or anything). Other than that radioactive waste, something to do with specific heat/latent heat.

Astro could be evidence for big bang theory, how reflecting telescopes work and advantage over refracting, life cycle of stars (giants and main sequence), something annoying on spectra and spectral classes.
If I'm not mistaken, I thought the derivation of the kinetic theory equation wasn't required for this spec? :s.
lochbeau
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
No worries, sorted.

On the topic of this exam, we're doing turning points and the paper they give on it is ridiculously hard, anyone else doing turning points?
JRP95
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by amish123)
If I'm not mistaken, I thought the derivation of the kinetic theory equation wasn't required for this spec? :s.
Yeah I doubt it really it's too complicated for A2.
Beth_L_G
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone explain the electron diffraction experiment to me? I found it in one of the papers but none of my books :/
posthumus
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Beth_L_G)
Can someone explain the electron diffraction experiment to me? I found it in one of the papers but none of my books :/
Was it a 6 marker ?

- Fine beam of electrons accelerate via p.d. within vacuum tube
- diffracted by tiny graphite crystals, as the size is similar to the de broglie wavelength of an electron
[quote lambda = h/mv ]
- if you increase p.d. the velocity of the electron will increase
- since p.d. inverse proportional relationship with lamda, wavelength will also decrease
- circular diffraction pattern observed on a screen

EDIT: Oh and this works because the electron can act as a wave (wave-particle duality), so mentioning that could possibly get you marks too
jarasta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

I doubt the derivation would be a sixth marker. Or come up at all, its a pretty simple derivation. They would probably ask about the assumptions.
I'm hoping for a kinetic theory one to explain the gas laws or to do with the Rutherford scattering experiment, as long as its not nuclear energy
jarasta
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Anyone do the applied physics option 5C, I believe it is.
The H
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lochbeau)
No worries, sorted.

On the topic of this exam, we're doing turning points and the paper they give on it is ridiculously hard, anyone else doing turning points?
Yeah I am, but honestly i'm more worried about the nuclear part than turning points
xoxoxoxoxox
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Guyyss anyone knows why
only large unstable isotopes decay with alpha??.
in the aqa physics book one of the questions ask this..
and their are no answers pg 187 of the aqa bk
thanks
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    Postgraduate Open Afternoon Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Would you turn to a teacher if you were being bullied?

Yes (53)
25.85%
No (152)
74.15%

Watched Threads