This discussion is closed.
lexandra
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miffy56)
To produce CO2 you have to have O2. Therefore CO2 is not made in anaerobic resp. Lactic acid/ethanol and NAD are the products of anaerobic.
Pretty sure that's not true. Respired oxygen leaves the cell as part of a water molecule, as it is the final electron acceptor at the end of the electron transport chain. Electrons and protons bind with oxygen, producing water. Without oxygen electrons and hydrogen would accumulate on carrier molecules in the chain.... The CO2 formed all comes from carbons lost by molecules in the link reaction and the krebs cycle. You are right that animals produce lactic acid and plants produce ethanol (and both reoxidise NAD) but plants also produce CO2 in anaerobic respiration.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
Chewy29
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lexandra)
Pretty sure that's not true. Respired oxygen leaves the cell as part of a water molecule, as it is the final electron acceptor at the end of the electron transport chain. Electrons and protons bind with oxygen, producing water. Without oxygen electrons and hydrogen would accumulate on carrier molecules in the chain.... The CO2 formed all comes from carbons lost by molecules in the link reaction and the krebs cycle. You are right that animals produce lactic acid and plants produce ethanol (and both reoxidise NAD) but plants also produce CO2 in anaerobic respiration.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong!
Plants do not produce CO2 in anaerobic respiration because the link reaction and krebs cycle do not occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
safis
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone give me the correct equations for gross productivity and the one for net productivity please.
nox471
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Chewy29)
Plants do not produce CO2 in anaerobic respiration because the link reaction and krebs cycle do not occur.

Posted from TSR Mobile
yes they do co2 is produced in fermentation which is the second step of anaerobic respiration. it is necessary to do this step to oxidise the reduced NADP so it can be used again.

2 reduced NADP + 2 Pyruvate-> 2 ethanol +2co2 +2NADP

correct me if im wrong but im pretty sure im not
lcj0503
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by safis)
Can someone give me the correct equations for gross productivity and the one for net productivity please.
Net productivity=gross productivity-respiratory loss

Posted from TSR Mobile
kdk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by nox471)
yes they do co2 is produced in fermentation which is the second step of anaerobic respiration. it is necessary to do this step to oxidise the reduced NADP so it can be used again.

Pyruvate is a 3-Carbon molecule ( I hope everyone agrees on that!) Pyruvate is reduced to ehtanol ( a 2-carbon alcohol) and CO2 is given out as the third carbon, so I think you are right,
Chewy29
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

That is true. I forgot that it was the volume of CO2 produces that changes. Ignore my earlier statement.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Starlight94
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
If there was a 5 marker on succession what would we have to put?
laser174572
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by Starlight94)
If there was a 5 marker on succession what would we have to put?
If it was a simple question of "Describe the process of succession" there are lots of point you can put:
- Initially a pioneer species migrates to and becomes established at the site.
- As generations of the pioneer species grow and die, they change the environmental conditions, e.g. as they are decomposed a humus layer builds up
- More species become established as the environment becomes more favourable, and competition begins. The pioneer species is usually out-competed at this stage.
- Over time more species are added as more niches form, increasing the biodiversity if the site
- Competition begins to resolve as few new species are added
- A stable climax community is reached, in which no new species are added and which would stay the same indefinitely without any outside influence

Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
miffy56
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
June 2010, question 3)b) deaf white cats hardy-weinburg. ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
tilownii
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago

Dude you mean reduced NAD and NAd
TH4RG3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by miffy56)
June 2010, question 3)b) deaf white cats hardy-weinburg. ???

Posted from TSR Mobile
Read page 26 mate, it covers that question

Posted from TSR Mobile
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can someone give me an ideal answer on the following please?

Describe the process of the light reaction
Describe the process of the dark reaction
Desribe the Krebs cycle
Describe the Electron Transport Chain

Describe how the light dependant and light independent contribute towards each other and the plant's survival.

Thanks.
tilownii
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Please help me with question 6bi June 2011 I thought it was not due to chance?
DELETED ACCOUNT
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by lexandra)
xxx!
(Original post by Chewy29)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No. lexandra is right.

Chewy, once plants respire anaerobically, the do produce CO2. Once the 3-carbon compoud pyruvate is formed by glycolysis, it is reduced and decarboxylated to form ethanol ( a 2 carbon-compound) and CO2.
However, human do not. We only produce lactic acid (this s assuming that you're human!! )

Someone else corrected you already......oops
Scienceisgood
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by frogs r everywhere)
No. lexandra is right.

Chewy, once plants respire anaerobically, the do produce CO2. Once the 3-carbon compoud pyruvate is formed by glycolysis, it is reduced and decarboxylated to form ethanol ( a 2 carbon-compound) and CO2.
However, human do not. We only produce lactic acid (this s assuming that you're human!! )

Someone else corrected you already......oops
And that is the reason we don't get drunk when we exercise.
That's the way I remembered it. =P
TH4RG3
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by tilownii)
Please help me with question 6bi June 2011 I thought it was not due to chance?
Its 5% probabilty tht the results are due to chance (95% not due to chance) I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
ssmoses
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Heres how I'd answer the first two...

Light Dependant: A photon of light hits a chlorophyll molecule and excites an electron to a higher energy level. The electron travel down an Electron Carrier in a series of redox reactions losing energy as passed from one carrier to the next. This energy is used to combine ADP and a phosphate molecule to make ATP. Water is split by photolysis; the electron replaces the one lost in the chlorophyll molecule and the H+ is used to reduce NADP. Oxygen diffuses out of the leaf as a by product.

Light Independant: Rubp (Ribulose Bisphosphate) combines with a CO2 molecule to make 2 molecules of GP (Glycerate 3 Phosphate). GP is reduced by reduced NADP and uses an ATP molecule to make TP. TP is converted to organic substances such as Glucose and some is regenerated into RUBP with another ATP molecule.

(Original post by Scienceisgood)
Can someone give me an ideal answer on the following please?

Describe the process of the light reaction
Describe the process of the dark reaction
Desribe the Krebs cycle
Describe the Electron Transport Chain

Describe how the light dependant and light independent contribute towards each other and the plant's survival.

Thanks.
kdk
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Can anyone tell me what does ATPase do? I know that in contraction of muscles, it hydrolysis ATP to ADP and it releases energy, but I just read from a ms of examination-style questions that it is involved in ATP production in the electron transport chain, I thought that's what ATP Synthase does!! Anyone??
This is the ms, http://sciencemathsmaster.weebly.com.../chapter_4.pdf , question 1-c
tilownii
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by TH4RG3)
Its 5% probabilty tht the results are due to chance (95% not due to chance) I think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I thought significant means not due to chance correct?
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (86)
67.72%
No I haven't decided yet (25)
19.69%
Yes but I might change my mind (16)
12.6%

Watched Threads