Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Judging from other comments, I think I've done my federalism question quite well. The 10 marker was reasonably easy (thank god I knew some of the amendments!) and the 10 marker for judiciary was ridiculously easy I ran out of time a bit on the judiciary 30 marker and the question was a bit vague... The only thing I can remember writing about is stare decisis, the Justices' political philosophy and quoting Max Lerner xD

ReputationRep:
    How did everyone else find it? Hold my hands up and say I got my prediction completely wrong aha! Good luck everyone and sorry for being so silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hannahm1995)
    How did everyone else find it? Hold my hands up and say I got my prediction completely wrong aha! Good luck everyone and sorry for being so silly!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I thought it was pretty good, and I thought federalism would come up so I'd revised quite a lot for that! I think they have us quite easy papers (Gov3A as well) to make up for the disaster in January Either way, I'm pretty happy, how did you find it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrissM)
    I thought it was pretty good, and I thought federalism would come up so I'd revised quite a lot for that! I think they have us quite easy papers (Gov3A as well) to make up for the disaster in January Either way, I'm pretty happy, how did you find it?
    I found it good, thought the constitution questions where a bit ambiguous and vague but I thought it went well I really like gov3a

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    By disaster in January do you mean the GOV3A paper from january? Wow, I looked at it and was like that is literally my ideal paper haha.
    Think today went awful

ReputationRep:
    Didn't particularly enjoy todays paper, the questions seemed more specific than the past papers meaning I felt like I was waffling a little.

I did Congress and The Judiciary.

For Congress;
    Spoiler:
    Show

Committees - This was an absolute gift but I couldn't help feeling let down by the fact it wasn't the 30 marker. I could of easily written 30 marks worth for it.

Local interests over national - A slightly odd question, but I didn't think I did too badly. Pork barreling and all that. Mentioned Burkean model of Delegates who should act not solely in the eyes of their constituents however the constant threat of re-election (esp. in the House) makes this nigh on impossible. Mentioned Obamacare as an example of earmarking and amendments where Obama struggled to act in the national interest as Senators such as Ben Nelson were reluctant to support in fear of their home state. Felt like I was waffling at the end when I said that the rise of the Tea Party had seen candidates who took less of an interest in federal government and its policies. I also mentioned how Congress was still able to pass national legislation such as NCLB, ACA, Patriot and Recovery Act, however it still felt a bit vague. Still, it wasn't a disaster.

For the Judiciary.
    Spoiler:
    Show

Constructionism- Again, an absolute gift of a question but why wasn't this a 30 marker! I had so much I didn't have a chance to write because I had to go on to the 30 marker.

Restraints on the court - Started off alright, talked about lack of enforcement being the major issue such as Brown v. Board of Education and the subsequent lack of enforcement. I then talked about how Congress could pass amendments to by pass rulings but this was practically impossible. Also mentioned FDR threatening to change the number of Justices which meant the court was being influenced by politics (which is against what FF wanted). Then I started to clutch at straws, talking about the nomination process making the court more political and so this had prevented the court from functioning as a judicially neutral body. I don't even know if this makes sense. Finally tried to evaluate the word "effective" in the context of the question and how the restraints could be considered necessary in order for the court to be "effective" in the eyes of the FF. I wrote loads but it didn't feel like I wrote anything.

Most annoying thing about this question, I had learnt loads and loads of case examples and decisions. I used 2 in the whole question. 2.

I'm genuinely going to miss studying politics though, such an interesting subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by octoberbaby)
    By disaster in January do you mean the GOV3A paper from january? Wow, I looked at it and was like that is literally my ideal paper haha.
    Think today went awful
    It was a disaster for me haha, how did you do? I got a D, only 56 UMS, and I was predicted an A. I completely misread the elections question, and didn't have a clue what differential abstention was, and got a 0 Loads of people at my sixth form messed it up as well. And you never know, you might have done better than you think!

ReputationRep:
    I didn't do it - at my college we sit 3A and 4A in the summer, but we looked over the Jan 2013 paper for 3A and I was like... wow! :L Like I love tlaking about primaries and third party/independent + I can't remember what else was on it but I was just like... wow! haha. I hope you've got the A in the retake

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by octoberbaby)
    I didn't do it - at my college we sit 3A and 4A in the summer, but we looked over the Jan 2013 paper for 3A and I was like... wow! :L Like I love tlaking about primaries and third party/independent + I can't remember what else was on it but I was just like... wow! haha. I hope you've got the A in the retake
    I thought it said the election process, and talked about the TV debates and stuff. I got my script back and only got 12 out of 30. The resit went a lot better though, so I'm feeling a lot better! Good luck to you too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bord3r)

I'm genuinely going to miss studying politics though, such an interesting subject.
    Same here, easily my favourite subject

ReputationRep:
    Same <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I do love Chemistry though, so it's a tough one. This year has definitely made me want to go on a road trip across America.

The dream route
    Spoiler:
    Show

New York up to Boston back through New York state down to Philadelphia and then Washington DC then back up through Ohio (swing state sightseeing am I right?) to Chicago and around Lake Michigan down through some boring parts to Little Big Horn then across to Washington State and Seattle down through Oregon (Portland) to along the Californian coast then up to Las Vegas, then back down to Albuquerque and the desert. Finally finishing in Dallas.
    It's never going to happen, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys
    I was pretty happy with the paper; I did Constitution and Congress.

• Bill of Rights was a good question
    • Federalism was quite a good one as well although I don't think I mentioned enough as I should have; I forgot to talk about Watergate. But I did talk about how Bush was meant to give power back to the states but instead increased expenditure by 33% and expand the government with Department of Homeland Security etc.
    • Standing committees - really happy with this one too. I talked about how the composition mirrored the House/Senate as well as each of the functions with examples; analysed saying that it's quite undemocratic to have such a small group of politicians deciding which bills should be allowed through.
    • Local issues v national issues - really unsure with this one. Talked about the need to for local issues to credit claim (pork barrelling and whatnot) etc to be re-elected; analysed stating that incumbency rates of 80/90% question the real need to credit claim. Also talked about gerrymandering here. I also said about how people talk about national issues to gain name recognition to enhance chances for election from House to Senate or from Senator to President.

Pretty sure I rambled on about other things but I really cannot remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bord3r)
    I do love Chemistry though, so it's a tough one. This year has definitely made me want to go on a road trip across America.

The dream route
    Spoiler:
    Show

New York up to Boston back through New York state down to Philadelphia and then Washington DC then back up through Ohio (swing state sightseeing am I right?) to Chicago and around Lake Michigan down through some boring parts to Little Big Horn then across to Washington State and Seattle down through Oregon (Portland) to along the Californian coast then up to Las Vegas, then back down to Albuquerque and the desert. Finally finishing in Dallas.
    It's never going to happen, is it?
    It will if you make it! I went to Washington DC with my college, and it was AMAZING. I've never been to any of the other places, though, but I'd love to go to California, and I definitely want to go back to DC. I'm hoping I can do a year abroad while I'm at uni. It's wishful thinking, but it would be so good

ReputationRep:
    Hey people, how did people find Constitution and Executive question???

ReputationRep:
    I did the constitution and the judiciary. I wasn't really keen on the question about federalism however the questions on the supreme court were pretty good

ReputationRep:
    It will if you make it! I went to Washington DC with my college, and it was AMAZING. I've never been to any of the other places, though, but I'd love to go to California, and I definitely want to go back to DC. I'm hoping I can do a year abroad while I'm at uni. It's wishful thinking, but it would be so good
    Well I guess if I start planning now. I wish our college offered a Washington DC trip, we only got to go to The Houses of Parliament.
    It's definitely on my bucket list. It will happen, one day.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=ineedtorevise127;43070522]what did people write for the judiciary essay?

I did not understand that at all I think I talked about the appoinmtnets process, judicial independence and initiation from executive e.g. eissenhower troops to end segregation[/QUOTE
    I wrote about the constitutional restraints briefly but thensaid theyre weaker than on other branches of government then said because most of the powers are inferred tthe constrains are mainly informal/unconstitutional then looked at
    Public opinion (Berger court)
    Reactive not proctive
    Time constraints
    Lack of
    power of enforcement (Brown double ruling)
    And can't bind successors (furrman and gregg)and
    And then I just counter-evaluated the constraints and as.to whether.they do prevent them performing their functions or as to whether theyre justified I.e. can't bind.successors (plessy v Ferguson to Brown)
    Then looked at self restraint other years and reluctance to hear difficult or.controversial.cases. sorry its a bit of an essay. It's hard to know whst they wanted
    (sorry about my spelling my phone won't cooperate)

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=WallflowerHarves;43087747]
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    what did people write for the judiciary essay?

I did not understand that at all I think I talked about the appoinmtnets process, judicial independence and initiation from executive e.g. eissenhower troops to end segregation[/QUOTE
    I wrote about the constitutional restraints briefly but thensaid theyre weaker than on other branches of government then said because most of the powers are inferred tthe constrains are mainly informal/unconstitutional then looked at
    Public opinion (Berger court)
    Reactive not proctive
    Time constraints
    Lack of
    power of enforcement (Brown double ruling)
    And can't bind successors (furrman and gregg)and
    And then I just counter-evaluated the constraints and as.to whether.they do prevent them performing their functions or as to whether theyre justified I.e. can't bind.successors (plessy v Ferguson to Brown)
    Then looked at self restraint other years and reluctance to hear difficult or.controversial.cases. sorry its a bit of an essay. It's hard to know whst they wanted
    (sorry about my spelling my phone won't cooperate)
    My paper is going to look like **** compared to yours lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adamgraver)
    Hey people, how did people find Constitution and Executive question???
    Constitution was good. I was so happy I learnt the first ten amendments (paraphrased version). Federalism was nice, just talked about everything I knew on federalism really. Though, I can't believe that I forgot to mention about the enumerated powers( I think I forgot)

I didn't do executive, I did Supreme Court! And yourself?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.