Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
  • View Poll Results: Which accommodation are you applying for?
    Norwood House
    12.24%
    Eastwood
    14.29%
    Westwood
    8.16%
    Polden Court
    7.48%
    Brendon Court
    0.68%
    Marlborough/Solsbury Court
    40.14%
    Woodland Court
    11.56%
    Osborne House
    2.04%
    John Wood
    2.72%
    Carpenter
    0.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Genesis2703)
    Hey. I've been offered Norwood level 5 which apparently gets quite noisy. As compensation they offered free tickets to said club on the noisy days if I ask with 24 hours notice (well something about tickets anyway). How noisy is this part of Norwood? They still have Eastwood and Westwood places if I want to switch they said.

Any advice? Thanks
    I have no experience of Norwood myself but do you like club nights? If you do then you'd save money and you'd be out of your room anyway so wouldn't experience the noise.

If you're definitely not going to be going for nights out and prefer early nights sleep then it may be worth asking to switch to Eastwood or Westwood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RibenaRockstar)
    Which end is it? The lower the number on your room the less noisy it is. I was in 5.9 and I didn't have any problems with it at all - though that said I can sleep through practically anything!
    Sent a PM regarding room number

(Original post by ChelseyElla)
    I have no experience of Norwood myself but do you like club nights? If you do then you'd save money and you'd be out of your room anyway so wouldn't experience the noise.

If you're definitely not going to be going for nights out and prefer early nights sleep then it may be worth asking to switch to Eastwood or Westwood.
    Well I'm not a club person at the moment at all. Never even been to one haha. Freshers may change that of course.

Does sound like value for money though

Also it depends what you mean by an early night!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sent a PM regarding room number

Well I'm not a club person at the moment at all. Never even been to one haha. Freshers may change that of course.

Does sound like value for money though

Also it depends what you mean by an early night!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well the potential noise disturbance will be from club nights which are 10ish-2am on Wednesdays and 10ish-3am on Saturdays.

Norwood has had a lot of work done in the recent years and I haven't heard of any problems with noise. On campus there is potential to be disturbed anywhere you live as people may be loud when going back to their own accommodation after club nights.

ReputationRep:
    Well the potential noise disturbance will be from club nights which are 10ish-2am on Wednesdays and 10ish-3am on Saturdays.

Norwood has had a lot of work done in the recent years and I haven't heard of any problems with noise. On campus there is potential to be disturbed anywhere you live as people may be loud when going back to their own accommodation after club nights.
    Ah yes I normally sleep before 2am haha. What work has been done? Soundproofing?

And yes I suppose people will be noisy everywhere after a night out. It was the music that concerned me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey. I've been offered Norwood level 5 which apparently gets quite noisy. As compensation they offered free tickets to said club on the noisy days if I ask with 24 hours notice (well something about tickets anyway). How noisy is this part of Norwood? They still have Eastwood and Westwood places if I want to switch they said.

Any advice? Thanks
    No disrespect but I don't understand how they are able to offer you a choice of accommodation places when other 1st year undergrads are being told they will have to look for private rented as they have no places left.

ReputationRep:

Any advice? Thanks
    Hey,did you apply for accomadation in the summer or in August?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mumsknowbest)
    No disrespect but I don't understand how they are able to offer you a choice of accommodation places when other 1st year undergrads are being told they will have to look for private rented as they have no places left.
    They might be offering them a place in another accomadation before they allocate them to the August applicants who got told they will get accomadation ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Laurieejade)
    Hey,did you apply for accomadation in the summer or in August?
    I applied in April if I remember right

ReputationRep:
    I applied in April if I remember right
    Phew !! I applied then and I'm still waiting and I was worried they'd started the August people

ReputationRep:
    They might be offering them a place in another accomadation before they allocate them to the August applicants who got told they will get accomadation ?
    August applicant's couldn't even apply for any campus accommodation at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by firebolt)
    Oh, we'll it seems odd they have stuff left over.. :/

ReputationRep:
    My son applied in August and the only choice available to him was John Wood Court so he went with that but since then he has received an email from the accommodation office to say they are unable to offer him any university accommodation at all and he needs to look at private rented.

ReputationRep:
    My son applied in August and the only choice available to him was John Wood Court so he went with that but since then he has received an email from the accommodation office to say they are unable to offer him any university accommodation at all and he needs to look at private rented.
    That was my point, John Wood Court is in the city not on the campus. Luckily I was one of the few that has been offered accommodation

ReputationRep:
    That was my point, John Wood Court is in the city not on the campus. Luckily I was one of the few that has been offered accommodation
    We knew that John Wood Court was in the city as opposed to on campus but at least it is still university owned and managed. He would have settled for this rather than have to go with private rented.

ReputationRep:
    I believe what happens is that they have saved enough spaces for the people but not confirmed all of the rooms. So the person offered Norwood can request another if someone who was offered that accommodation doesn't accept their housing contract within a set amount of time. It's a first come first served on original application and contract accepted.

ReputationRep:
    I believe what happens is that they have saved enough spaces for the people but not confirmed all of the rooms. So the person offered Norwood can request another if someone who was offered that accommodation doesn't accept their housing contract within a set amount of time. It's a first come first served on original application and contract accepted.
    How does the whole first come first serve work cause I applied the day applications for accommadation opened in April, yet I'm still waiting as my account says awaiting allocation...

ReputationRep:
    How does the whole first come first serve work cause I applied the day applications for accommadation opened in April, yet I'm still waiting as my account says awaiting allocation...
    I'm not sure I'm afraid. I just know it's first come first served BUT they also try to place you with at least one person on the same pr similar course as you (preferably more).
    I wouldn't worry too much though as everyone always loves where they end up.

ReputationRep:
    I only found out Friday and I applied within minutes of it opening. Once you get allocated your accommodation you have 4 days to confirm it, or it is released to another student. I think you are only waiting because your slot has no yet been released. They want to give you your top choice, so you must wait until the deadline as a slot may be released the day before, and if they just allocated you your second choice you will have missed out! It sounds odd, but I think that's how they do it so the majority of people are happy it's not a bad thing to have to wait x

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Last year I applied as soon as it opened in April for accommodation, and I got my Norwood place on the 5th of September. Calm down.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone applied for Norwood but got Eastwood ?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.