Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Observatory)
    TSR Debate and Current Affairs is almost certainly being controlled by a shadowy illuminati bent on nothing less than total world domination. Personally I blame Israel.
    Makes a nice change! I generally hear Botswana and the National Association of Bellmakers being blamed for everything. It's kind of a relief to hear it blamed on a mythical all-encompassing supercult and the Jews. Phew.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might just be the case that the nutty right wingers feel the need to air their opinions and throw a tantrum quite regularly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dj1015)
    When I came to TSR a few years ago, this place was a leftist hot bed kind of like a spin off of Revleft.

So I dont blame people for going mad and post a few new threads to bring some balance back. Also this place makes a nice change from day to day crushing force of leftism that can be found on university campuses.

Yeah, I do concede that constantly posting threads is a little spammy and material spends hardly any time on the first page, but thats the way it is now. Personally I keep my new material to once or twice and week and try to divide it between here and the debate forums.
    Maybe it was more lefty in the past. It is amusing Lefties think this place is righty and righties think it left.

Supposing Lefties are the majority on here/in uni - where the hell do they go when they hit the real world?

ReputationRep:
    The neg brigade are worse believe me,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)
    Maybe it was more lefty in the past. It is amusing Lefties think this place is righty and righties think it left.

Supposing Lefties are the majority on here/in uni - where the hell do they go when they hit the real world?
    They change ideologically and become more conservative.

The last 2 elections I voted Tory (not doing that again). I just arrived at the conclusion that conservatism is better before most people do. As for the ones that remain as lefties well into their adulthood, I can only assume like many others, they are regarded as nutters and ignored.

Churchill quote: "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."

ReputationRep:
    Churchill quote: "If you're not a liberal when you're 25, you have no heart. If you're not a conservative by the time you're 35, you have no brain."
    Churchill said it, so it must be true.

ReputationRep:
    Too many Liberals on here.

Farage is the only one you can categorically trust. No matter what your political viewpoint, you elect politicians based on certain principles. Ed Miliband, David Cameron and Nick Clegg are all U-turning, slimy political crooks, as far as sticking to principles are concerned.

Farage doesn't sound like any other politician. He has lived and worked in the real world, and has not just sprung out of university into research then into politics.

James Delingpole sums Farage's increasing overwhelming support in this brilliant Spectator article.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/columnist...nvert-to-ukip/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)

Farage is the only one you can categorically trust. No matter what your political viewpoint, you elect politicians based on certain principles. Ed Miliband, David Cameron and Nick Clegg are all U-turning, slimy political crooks, as far as sticking to principles are concerned.

Farage doesn't sound like any other politician. He has lived and worked in the real world, and has not just sprung out of university into research then into politics.

James Delingpole sums Farage's increasing overwhelming support in this brilliant Spectator article.

Link not working mate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Izzyeviel)

The real world? Tell me how a Tory government is so much better for a working adult? Or maybe only an upper- middle class, greedy working adult?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)

Delingpole is an almost perfect idiot, he really never, ever gets a point quite right and his pontificating on climate change, a subject he visibly knows nothing about, is laughable and absurd. I sometimes feel quite embarrassed that I am at the same university he attended, but then he was a good pal of Cameron and Johnson, which says quite a lot I think.

Farage is a "man of the real world"? Yes, if you call being a commodities broker "real world". It's hardly driving a bus, is it.

ReputationRep:
    Link not working mate.
    sorry... there you go mate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    Churchill said it, so it must be true.
    The funny thing is he didn't actually say that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    It's ridiculous anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by qwerty457)
    I don't think it's fair to group UKIP with BNP and EDL. They are totally different.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013...?utm_hp_ref=uk

The leader of far-right group, the English Defence League (EDL), has urged supporters to vote for the UK Independence Party in the next election, arguing: "they are saying exactly what we say, just in a different way".

Edit: Bawww, did the truth hurt ikkle UKIP supporters?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AtlasCanTakeIt)
    It's ridiculous anyway.
    True, but people will say it anyway, because quoting some famous historical figure is easier than actually thinking for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Delingpole is an almost perfect idiot, he really never, ever gets a point quite right and his pontificating on climate change, a subject he visibly knows nothing about, is laughable and absurd. I sometimes feel quite embarrassed that I am at the same university he attended, but then he was a good pal of Cameron and Johnson, which says quite a lot I think.

Farage is a "man of the real world"? Yes, if you call being a commodities broker "real world". It's hardly driving a bus, is it.
    Well Farage certainly seems to listen to what the man on the street is saying. He doesn't need gimmicks like pretending to like popular music or football but just comes across as a decent, funny bloke. He does remind me of Alan Partridge at times though.

Also he genuinely seems comfortable mixing with people from any walk of life whereas Cameron/Miliband couldn't relate to most of the public if they tried. Imagine Miliband walking into your local pub and being able to hold a conversation for more than 10 seconds? Me neither. Cameron is slightly better but he still tries too hard.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcarz)

What you are saying is Farage has never held public office.

He has never had to make the sordid dirty political compromises necessary to secure the support of 50%+1. He has never had to consider whether to implement one of his policy commitments knowing that it will undermine another of his policy commitments. He has never had to try to cut expenditure whilst at the same time increasing services. None of his policy objectives has ever increased expenditure he wished to cut. No judge has ever said that what he wanted to do is unlawful. No foreign government has ever threatened retaliation for what he has wanted to do. No union has threatened to call a strike over his plans. No accountant has ever tried to create a tax loophole of what he wanted to do. No newspaper baron has tried to undermine him. No television programme has mounted a campaign of ridicule against him. No-one has exposed his love life over a Sunday tabloid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)

"Delingpole is an almost perfect idiot, he really never, ever gets a point quite right"

Silly ad hominem attack on Delingpole, without even addressing any of his points. He attacks people that say that it is definitively increasing CO2 emissions that is causing climate change which is completely unproven.

You didn't even read the article either.

He mainly attacks however the moronic wind farms / "eco-crucifixes" that generate so little energy and cost an absolute fortune.

Farage has also worked in two other foreign investment banks. You miss the entire picture completely. He has absolute economic credibility, unlike the 3 cretins we have running the main political parties in Westminster.

It is YOU who should feel embarassed for talking about Delingpole and Farage (stuff what university you go to) who you clearly know absolutely nothing about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Redolent)
    Apparently it was a Frenchman, Francois Guizot who first said it.

According to his Wikipedia entry, the original quote was:
    Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fran%C3%A7ois_Guizot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by almost_instinct)
    I don't see it as a problem of Left or Right, but a problem of certain individuals who aren't capable of engaging in serious debate.

Between the slander, ad hominem, belittling of the opposition, obvious attempts at winding people up, quotes taken out of context, abounding lack of reading comprehension, sheer dogma, and the belligerence of some of these people, it's no wonder there's so much vitriol on both sides.

I visit this site every day and the reason I have relatively few posts to my name is because if I had to engage in a discussion with half of the people on this site my laptop would end up going through the window.

Seldom will you find a debate on this forum that takes an appropriate tone; most of it is constructed as an "I'm right, you're wrong, here's why" argument with the aim of attracting as many clicks/views as possible. Instead of having discussions where the merits on each side of the debate are discussed - perhaps enabling us to develop new insights on a variety of topics - we have petulant, braying herds of keyboard warriors wanting to bash the other side as much as possible.

Now I feel much better.
    Probably the most sane post I've seen on here in a long time. If a lot of people read what they put on here in 5 years time they'd wonder why they were so immature and petty. Every thread turns into left wing people acting self righteous to the point they become as annoying as the people they complain about, whilst the right wing people shout the same incorrect 'facts' around hoping it somehow makes them true, all of which is pointless because everyone on this site is too stubborn in their beliefs to even consider the other side's viewpoint.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.