Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Well you sure proved them wrong didn't you , puberty sure worked wonders ..

(trying not to come off creepy but it sounds so creepy lol)
    The creepiest part is posting it anon. :lol: Joking, thank you

yes.

ReputationRep:
    Been called ugly a couple of times, nor sure if they were serious or not, but haven't really thought too much into it, especially as i've been called "cute" by girls before. Tbf, it's nothing to worry about, one of my friends is no adonis and was once called "the ugliest person i've ever met", but his girlfriend is one of the prettiest girls is the year below..

Yup.. been called "ugly" and a "rat" every day for some time, by this pathetic child throughout high school. He shouted names out at me relentlessly and it was just cruel. Racist names have been flung at me too. I just feel sorry for bullies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by civilstudent)
    Girls and guys, have you ever been or felt insulted by others about your looks which has perhaps dented your confidence? Like maybe someone said you had a big nose, you look old, you have horrible eyes etc.

Tell us some times about when (if ever) you have been insulted?

If you havent been insulted then say so.

Just thought it would be interesting and might help others who have gone through similar to realise that everyone gets insulted, has faults and that they are often exaggerated words.

I'l start. Heres what I can think up at the moment.

-I was rated the least attractive girl in class at college for some facial attractiveness/biology topic. Ok so maybe this wasnt an insult as it was an anonymous activity but made me feel insulted. Its kind of worse than an insult as I couldnt put it down to nastiness/being victimised lol.

-A 30 odd year old man I went on a few dates with then broke up with told his mates that he was worried about getting any girl as he couldnt even get the ugliest of girls (meaning me).

Its not a direct insult as such but Ive never had a proper relationship and guys never approach me which i find insulting/lowers confidence.
    This was actually sad, don't take into consideration what others think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elelia)
    I have dark hair and when I was 10 someone called me the bearded lady because I had a bit of a lady stache and it has stuck with me to this day. I found my dad's shaving stuff and shaved it.. Everytime I look in the mirror I think about it

I lost all my hair when I was 11 because of personal reasons and when I went to school they said I looked like a disgusting lesbian and I wore a hat for years...

I have naturally very large breasts for my frame and I was developed to a F when I was 13 and I got made fun of so much when I was 13 that I used duck tape to push them down...

There is many more but I doubt you wanna hear the rest

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe that kind of activity, is allowed in class, when it's blatantly going to take a knock to someone's confidence. I don't really understand how it worked though, if it was anonymous?

Anyway, I've mainly received *****y comments about my low weight, starting not to care any more though. I'm thin deal with it .

ReputationRep:
    Yes!

"Your cheekbones could cut wood and your nose is so long I could hang myself by it."

Spoiler:
    Show
    Better keep your thingy in your pants then and yes, why don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyMilly)
    Ive got an underdevloped optic nerve in my left eye and as a result in turns in slightly i think its by 1 mm but its clearly noticable especially when im tired, stressed or upset.

Ive had people laugh point at me, talk about it behind my back a girl at uni told me that if she had something as embarssing as I do she wouldnt show her face until it had been operated on. I went through life without many people ever commenting on it, until i went to uni when the people have been cruel and vile. They dont think about what they say they say things like 'oh you look like the russell howard guy he has a funny eye too' or 'why are you crossed eyed' ' why is your eye wonky' 'cant you get that fixed'

Or the worse thing has been when people talk about it behind my back they laugh about it and of course it gets back to me people who cant remeber me refer to me as the girl with the wonky eye

I wish people would just come up and ask me about it as its not a lazy eye, i cant have it operated on theres a 80% risk if i do i will go blind in both my eyes, people just dont realise how hurtful what they say is.

Ive also been taken the piss out for my height (5ft11) or my chubby cheeks or being to fat or to skinny
    Judging by your pictures in your profile, I can almost guarantee that the girls who say that are using that one small flaw of yours to make themselves feel better because you are probably 10 times as attractive than them.

ReputationRep:
    People have pointed out the size of my nose before, and it's something that I'm really self-conscious about so those comments have stuck with me. Once a young boy, about 4 or 5 years old, pointed it out to his mum and I was in earshot. I know I shouldn't have been upset by it, but it still got to me. I kept thinking, if a young child notices that there's something abnormal about my nose then there must be something wrong.

I'm just really self-conscious about my appearance, especially since I put on some weight recently. The other week I was trying on a swimsuit that I'd bought - the first time I'd worn one in about 2 years - and my brother made a comment (something along the lines of "argh!" and looking away). He's twelve, and I'm pretty sure he was joking, but it still hurt, y'know?

There have been other instances, but it's usually the off-hand, casual references to my appearance that get to me the most, because it's obvious that the other person isn't trying to make me feel bad but they manage to do so anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Been called a fat dog, then anorexic when I lost weight. That I look like a '10 year old polish boy'. That I'm a dwarf (I'm 5ft 2). I have too many freckles. I've been called many things, and still do.

(Original post by pandabird)
    Judging by your pictures in your profile, I can almost guarantee that the girls who say that are using that one small flaw of yours to make themselves feel better because you are probably 10 times as attractive than them.
    Oh thankyou so much that is so lovely of you to say that made me feel a lot better thankyou

ReputationRep:
    not directly but I was at the supermarket once and the girl bagging the items was saying to her friend 'where are all the fit guys at today?' then turned to me and said "no offence". Funny thing is she wasn't a looker herself. But then again other girls have said I look good so I dunno.

ReputationRep:
    I was insulted when I was 12, 13 or so by being told that a boy from my class rated my looks and my personality with the worst grade there was. Very strange because I had hardly ever spoken to him, but I have to admit that it still think about it sometimes because of the negative impact overall. Quite ridiculous given that he himself is neither handsome, nor witty, and had never been... also, I realized that much of the negativity was jealousy of my grades and not of my looks. But for people with such issues, it is much easier rating someone ugly, since stupid obviously does not work. When I was 16 or so, I just let it be and found their reactions rather amusing as they showed of their hopeless immaturity and irrationality.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had hairy arms at school (for a girl), and was always very conscious of them having been called things like 'gorilla girl' in primary school. I don't think I wore a tshirt once in secondary school actually, apart from in PE. A boy in a maths lesson once did a 'game' when we were supposed to be working in groups and said "Guess who this is an impression of" and with a piece of laminated card, drew a load of white lines onto his arm. I knew instantly he meant me and went bright red, then someone said my name and everybody laughed. It still haunts me all these years later, and I've shaved them since I was about 18. Sad really :\

That's all I can really rememeber, but I'm sure people have spoken about me behind my back. I'd rather not know about it either way though! Words can really scar you for the rest of your life, wish people would realise this before they speak.

* On a positive note though, I was once also told by a fairly popular girl at school that she rated me as the prettiest girl in our science classes ha! I remember that one too and boyfriends have told me nice things.

Apparently for every horrible comment you get in your life, you need at least 3 big compliments to help counter it!

ReputationRep:
    I got told once I had pointy boobs. :confused: How does that even work? I used to get teased about my hair, when it's in a bob it flicks out and apparently looks like Darth Vaders helmet. :lol: To be honest, that's probably a compliment. A lad teased me about my braces a little because apparently I'd been mean about his, but there were several girls at school who I'd get mixed up with and sometimes people thought one of us had said something when it was the other, I never teased anyone about their braces. I didn't get it too badly, only my brother ever bothers to comment on my acne, but he's my little bro, I never listen to him. It's sad that people feel the need to say some of the things other people on this thread have had to listen to though.

ReputationRep:
    Yes! And the hoebag who called me fat and ugly is now a ****ing huge dog.

Karma!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's really an insult, but I occasionally get mistaken for a male, because of the way I dress and the way my hair is. I bring it on myself sometimes I suppose, but I just like to be comfortable with how I dress - I wouldn't be seen dead in a dress a heels to look girly, but that's just me.

I get called 'skinny wretch' far too often by a few of my friends, I try to eat to put on weight, I don't make myself sick or anything, but it's as if my body can't handle me being over 9.5st. My weight doesn't bother me as such, but I get annoyed about being called skinny because there is physically nothing I can do about it.

I am seeing someone who is quite a lot bigger than me, but also very muscly which is nice, but I'd never call them a fat wretch so I guess they wouldn't know how it feels for me...

I haven't read every post on this thread, but I know mine isn't a big as some of the ones on here, but I though I'd share...

Katie x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Been insulted about looks pretty much all my life , its hard to deal with knowing that the odds are no one will ever find you attractive and wherever you go people are probably thinking what an ugly guy he is , but Ive reached a point where Ive just stopped caring , was majorly depressed from about 11-16 though , would come home and just play video games / watch tv shows (until I had to sleep)to drown out all the insults that I would get and stop brooding about how hideous I am . I don't know what I would do without my current friends , might have attempted something.

Throughout the late stages of primary school and most of secondary school I was picked on because I have a abnormally large and funny shaped head , its not something you can cover up . I also have a large bulbous nose , fat thick lips , bulgy out eyes . But basically people would often just make me feel so **** and low by insulting me whenever they saw fit to . Whenever I got into arguments with people and things got personal , they would always bring up my aesthetic and it just crushed my confidence.

Girls ive liked have told me pretty nasty things also
    I knew a guy like that...where abouts are you from?

ReputationRep:
    yes. i am ginger.... need i say more :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 13, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.