The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE entry for 2014

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Boy_wonder_95
Hey I'm also going for Econ 101 :smile:, from what I've heard of the applicants in the year above I think they'd send you a questionnaire to fill out your UMS rather than contact your school, but that was last year might be different this year.

That sounds more reasonable, I was just going by what their website said but it makes sense to contact us!
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Original post by Giant
King's College, and I'm applying for Economics (I'm applying for Economics everywhere). What about yourself?

Trinity, I would have looked at King's because of their reputation with Keynes but I was told by quite a few people that they have a bias against private schools in a way. I'm not sure if it's remotely true but I loved Trinity when I went there, so nevermind!

Have you sorted out your SAQ? The personal statement bit caught me out.
Reply 302
Original post by Donniee
Trinity, I would have looked at King's because of their reputation with Keynes but I was told by quite a few people that they have a bias against private schools in a way. I'm not sure if it's remotely true but I loved Trinity when I went there, so nevermind!

Have you sorted out your SAQ? The personal statement bit caught me out.

Trinity! Looks like we're both going for tough colleges. I go to a grammar school so hopefully King's won't bias against me or anything :tongue: Keynes is cool, but Richard Kahn and Arthur Cecil Pigou are some other great economists who went there. Trinity is amazing though.

The SAQ was long, I've left the personal statement bit empty as I feel as though I've said everything I wanted to say on my UCAS one (and I've heard that the SAQ PS is more for subjects like NatSci/Land Economy that are a bit different at Camb. than at other places). I need to put up a picture of myself then I'm done for that. What is your UMS average?
Hi guys,

Do you think I have my chance to study at LSE for the econ course if my average grade at the French Baccalaureate is 17.36/20, which corresponds to a A*A*A in the A-levels system.

I don't know how good it is in the English System, what do you think about it ?

Thanks for your time and help,

StudioBagel
Original post by Giant
Trinity! Looks like we're both going for tough colleges. I go to a grammar school so hopefully King's won't bias against me or anything :tongue: Keynes is cool, but Richard Kahn and Arthur Cecil Pigou are some other great economists who went there. Trinity is amazing though.

The SAQ was long, I've left the personal statement bit empty as I feel as though I've said everything I wanted to say on my UCAS one (and I've heard that the SAQ PS is more for subjects like NatSci/Land Economy that are a bit different at Camb. than at other places). I need to put up a picture of myself then I'm done for that. What is your UMS average?

Yes it does, we haven't made it easy on ourselves! No matter what they say I'm sure choosing different colleges makes somewhat of a difference to potential outcomes. I haven't come across those economists before but I understand that King's has an amazing history!

I talked a bit about how I'm suited to Cambridge's syllabus for the PS, I don't talk to anyone who got in so I was just going by the advice of a teacher.

My UMS average is something like 89%, which I understand to be dead on average according to the economics lecturer at the Trinity open day. It was still a bit disappointing compared to the absolutely amazing scores I've seen some people achieve. How did you get on with UMS?
Reply 305
Original post by Donniee
Yes it does, we haven't made it easy on ourselves! No matter what they say I'm sure choosing different colleges makes somewhat of a difference to potential outcomes. I haven't come across those economists before but I understand that King's has an amazing history!

I talked a bit about how I'm suited to Cambridge's syllabus for the PS, I don't talk to anyone who got in so I was just going by the advice of a teacher.

My UMS average is something like 89%, which I understand to be dead on average according to the economics lecturer at the Trinity open day. It was still a bit disappointing compared to the absolutely amazing scores I've seen some people achieve. How did you get on with UMS?

I would really recommend doing some research into Pigou - he developed so many fantastic ideas that are the basis of what we are taught today, like externalities! (A Pigovian Tax is a tax placed on goods like alcohol to reduce their consumption and their externalities). My average is 95%, so I hope that I can impress at interview. About the PS, it says you're not at a disadvantage if you leave it blank so I may just do that because I genuinely can't think of anything to say (the Camb course for straight Economics is essentially the same as most other Universities :tongue:)
Original post by FH1
Yep for HSPS at Trinity College... How about you?

HSPS at King's. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey guys, I'm currently enrolled in the first year of an American University. It says on LSE's website that I can apply with my first year grades from an undergraduate university with a GPA of 3.2 and above. Obviously, 3.2 is a bit low for a top drawer university such as LSE so I was wondering what I would realistically need to get out of 4 to stand a chance? Cheers.
Reply 308
Original post by Coombsy
May I ask where you have got his information from? I have heard that LSE regard GCSE results highly but not heard that they do it also in terms of rankings within schools.

Also, do you mean the school at which the GCSE's were taken?

It was was from the talk lse gave to advisers... You can listen to it on their website
Reply 309
Original post by abhiksetia
Er, no. I was nowhere near the top 3 in my year and got an offer, and had worse GCSE's than you.

ahh it gives me hope, just worried as I am studying in private school (not one of the top ones at all) so they may descriminate against it a bit. However, I'm international and hope it will show that I actually didn't speak well English in year 11
2a*s, 6as, 3bs at gcse.
A*AAA achieved at a2 (one mark off an A* in econ as well) an average of 90.25% ums across my a levels. (4th A in EPQ)
Currently on a gap year, is it worth me applying to geography/environment and development at LSE?
Don't think I have much of a chance but what do you guys think? Any comments very much appreciated!!!!! :smile:
Reply 311
Got my additional questionnaire today (applying for straight Economics)

Much simpler than the Cambridge one, all I had to do was to fill out my AS/A Level module grades. They seem to be really fussed about Further Maths (asking for a reason if you weren't studying it) and they asked for Maths/FM module scores first. They specified not to put down Critical Thinking/General Studies module marks
Reply 312
Original post by legally-blonde
HSPS at King's. :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nice! How's your SAQ going?
Original post by Giant
Got my additional questionnaire today (applying for straight Economics)

Much simpler than the Cambridge one, all I had to do was to fill out my AS/A Level module grades. They seem to be really fussed about Further Maths (asking for a reason if you weren't studying it) and they asked for Maths/FM module scores first. They specified not to put down Critical Thinking/General Studies module marks

Just sent my response off, I'm not 100% sure of my future FM modules so I just sent them the best guess I could :s-smilie:

I like how it's simpler than the SAQ but a save button would've been nice, they should've kept instructions at the top of every page and made it clear what they wanted from you.
I thought only Cambridge ask for your UMS - so apart from lse and Cambridge are there any other universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 315
Original post by Destiel <3
I thought only Cambridge ask for your UMS - so apart from lse and Cambridge are there any other universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

:wink: I think so as well, and that's the reason that i decide to apply for ox as it does not ask for UMS
Original post by lostesp
:wink: I think so as well, and that's the reason that i decide to apply for ox as it does not ask for UMS

Nice, are you applying or are you already in Oxford :smile:
Original post by Donniee
Same here, I don't have the patience to wait two weeks. On the other hand I'm surprised they got to us so quickly!

me too got the same mail i am an international student so i dnt think i would be getting any additional questionnaire or something. Do lse give any offers in november to early applicants or give out all at d same time
Reply 318
I am an international applicant from China to apply Economics of LSE. How about my chance to get the offer? Thanks for your advice.

AS CIE Results:
Mathematics A*(93)
Economics a(92)
Physics a(91)
Chemistry a(90)

Predicted:
Mathematics A*
Economics A*
Physics A*
Chemistry A*
Further Math A*
Reply 319