Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I'd say you don't need to worry. I know loads of people who progressed to part III natsci subjects with 2.2s. And some even with thirds. I'm sure you'll have gotten at least 2.1 anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm really hoping so. I'm completely not ready to leave uni this year. Going to speak to my tutor / DoS this week anyway and see what they say about everything. Only issue is that Materials have an actual 2:1 requirement which they only introduced least year. I know they let at least one person who got a 2:2 back last year anyway, and our year is a small year, so there isn't numbers pressure to only let back a certain number of people, but it's just all a bit worrying. Lets hope the exams went better than I thought...

ReputationRep:
    First exam tomorrow - FAB (as in the name of the exam, not my state of mind ). I feel like I ought to be wondering around doing some ritualistic dance to pass. There are just so many things I did wrong this year .

(Original post by Smaug123)
    It feels a bit out of place to rant about a Part IA exam, but the first maths paper was horrendous - the usual applied questions weren't there, and all the questions were a bit harder than usual at least they made up for it with the second paper!
    Also, why does Strawberry Fair have to happen loudly this weekend right outside my college?
    Quite a few of the mathmos I spoke to had the same general consensus, so don't worry! What college are you from?

(Original post by ratio)
    That word evokes fear in every medic I know. Good luck, you are not alone!
    Thanks buddy, really need that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onee-chan)
    First exam tomorrow - FAB (as in the name of the exam, not my state of mind ). I feel like I ought to be wondering around doing some ritualistic dance to pass. There are just so many things I did wrong this year .

Quite a few of the mathmos I spoke to had the same general consensus, so don't worry! What college are you from?

Thanks buddy, really need that!
    Good luck! When do you finish? :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It feels a bit out of place to rant about a Part IA exam, but the first maths paper was horrendous - the usual applied questions weren't there, and all the questions were a bit harder than usual at least they made up for it with the second paper!
    Also, why does Strawberry Fair have to happen loudly this weekend right outside my college?
    No, not at all out of place. This exam is for moaning about exams
    And I totally agree with you. Stawberry Fair is an aberration! Its just the timing of it. Why does it always have to be slap-bang in the middle of everybody's exams/thesis submissions? It was annoying enough for me yesterday as I had to be in Cam to meet two international visitors. The train home was packed with drunk people busy loudly blaring music and singing *******s

(Original post by around)
    Part III maths when I'm not doing a PhD (immediately) next year.
    Sorry, that didn't make sense to me :o: You're doing Part III exams, but are you or are you not doing a PhD? :confused: Also is the PhD unconditional that the exams don't count? Actually that happened to me. UEA gave me unconditional funding for my PhD, which made the final slog with my thesis that much harder!
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Jesus - I could almost see Strawberry Fair from my room, and we could smell the weed from miles off :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Good luck! When do you finish? :console:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! I finish in a week's Tuesday. For the latter half of next week, I'll just be hearing about how most other people have finished their exams . How about you?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you! I finish in a week's Tuesday. For the latter half of next week, I'll just be hearing about how most other people have finished their exams . How about you?
    Friday :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by camaieu)
    Friday :woo:
    Haha! Lucky you!!! Enjoy the sun, warmth and icecreams! Oh and of course with Mayweek after!!! Any plans?

ReputationRep:
    Haha! Lucky you!!! Enjoy the sun, warmth and icecreams! Oh and of course with Mayweek after!!! Any plans?
    Don't forget the copious amounts of alcohol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nichrome)
    I'd say you don't need to worry. I know loads of people who progressed to part III natsci subjects with 2.2s. And some even with thirds. I'm sure you'll have gotten at least 2.1 anyway!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That makes me feel better - how long ago was this? Like Sockpirate, I need a 2.i to carry on...

(Original post by Sockpirate)
    I'm really hoping so. I'm completely not ready to leave uni this year. Going to speak to my tutor / DoS this week anyway and see what they say about everything. Only issue is that Materials have an actual 2:1 requirement which they only introduced least year. I know they let at least one person who got a 2:2 back last year anyway, and our year is a small year, so there isn't numbers pressure to only let back a certain number of people, but it's just all a bit worrying. Lets hope the exams went better than I thought...
    I have no idea if Physics has number pressures, but our year is massive! So happy to be done, but the last exam was horrible. Of the two questions to choose from, one I was in the one lecture I missed due to being ill (so despite revising it I was less confident) and the other was on a horrible bit of the course no-one understood. ARGH!

But. Finished! I would just really really like my 2.i please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)

Sorry, that didn't make sense to me :o: You're doing Part III exams, but are you or are you not doing a PhD? :confused: Also is the PhD unconditional that the exams don't count? Actually that happened to me. UEA gave me unconditional funding for my PhD, which made the final slog with my thesis that much harder!
    I had a PhD offer, I turned it down, thinking of applying to non-maths PhD's next year. The PhD offer would have been unconditional anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by around)
    I had a PhD offer, I turned it down, thinking of applying to non-maths PhD's next year. The PhD offer would have been unconditional anyway.
    Fair enough. Well done

ReputationRep:
    Having to let caffeine and fear of failure replace sleep again to get through the exam material.

This term is horrible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Having to let caffeine and fear of failure replace sleep again to get through the exam material.

This term is horrible.
    Know the feeling. Not long left though.

ReputationRep:
    Just got back. :eek: :confused: I don't even know how I feel anymore. Oh well, ought to get *ready* :rolleyes: for MIMS tomorrow.

Jesus - I could almost see Strawberry Fair from my room, and we could smell the weed from miles off :P
    Gah that sucks! Do you have anywhere quieter to study?

(Original post by wibletg)
    Don't forget the copious amounts of alcohol.
    Haha yeah and that too :P!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    1 down, 4 to go. It was a bit of a blur, but I think I put lots of relevant words on bits of paper. The words weren't planned or precise or particularly explained, but they were written. Mid 2.1 at best I think.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Just got out of my penultimate exam. By this time tomorrow I will be in a pub celebrating the end of this godawful term.

(Original post by ratio)
    Just got out of my penultimate exam. By this time tomorrow I will be in a pub celebrating the end of this godawful term.
    How was it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Tortious)
    How was it?
    Survived! The examiner has decided to stop setting problems and fill the paper with discreet essays (there were only two problems). Life saver. You won't believe how much of the syllabus I dropped and got away with it.

I am, however, feeling absolutely shattered. I need to drum up energy to study for this last one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ratio)
    Survived! The examiner has decided to stop setting problems and fill the paper with discreet essays (there were only two problems). Life saver. You won't believe how much of the syllabus I dropped and got away with it.

I am, however, feeling absolutely shattered. I need to drum up energy to study for this last one.
    Was that Civil I by any chance? I much prefer problem questions, so when I opened the paper and saw that I was just going "crap, crap, crap" in my head. But I think it went OK

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.