Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone do the moments question??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ss2012)
    But the change of length will have an impact on the strain because strain is l/x and E is stress/strain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    When length doubles, then the force required to extend it x metres is halved, so i don't think the stress/strain graph would change - this would make sense since all copper materials have the same YM regardless of their length

ReputationRep:
    But the change of length will have an impact on the strain because strain is l/x and E is stress/strain

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Strain will not change as extension is proportional to length therefore Youngs modulus will not change

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hawthorns)
    How do you do the moments question?
    I remember doing 0.15*x = 0.32*(50-x), then solving it

(Original post by yodawg321)
    What did people say about the forces of graph.

For the first point I said about the drag force being greater than the weight force which means it deaccelerates.

And for the second point I put about the weight and drag forces being equal which makes constant velocity.

anyone say anything like this?
    I pretty much said this too

ReputationRep:
    What did everyone get for the Youngs Modulus value?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayleyfsmith)
    What did everyone get for the Youngs Modulus value?
    Around 1.875x10^11?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieGCSEs)
    dv by dt is the change in velocity over the change in time which is equal to the gradient, so that would be right?..
    Well i got 50ms^-2 which seems wrong to me so i dunno but i definitely did dv/dt

ReputationRep:
    I hated this exam so much.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    how did you guys work out the acceleration for the trolley question?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OllieGCSEs)
    dv by dt is the change in velocity over the change in time which is equal to the gradient, so that would be right?..

Oh god, I did 1/2b*h, from a to the end of the graph as I thought the area under the V/T graph represented the DE-acceleration. So it was w/e it was at point a , the area under there. So I did that wrong, great, I must of failed that paper hard; really hard.

When working out the density for the first question, wasn't it simply the mass divded by 0.w/e it was-0.w/e it was? I was told by other students that they multiplied it by a million to make it M^3 but it said cm^3 so I assumed it was simply correct to just put a decimal point infront...?

God, that was a nightmare compared to jan 2013, I was getting A's in my past papers but I seriously think I got an E on that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by seajamiet)
    Well i got 50ms^-2 which seems wrong to me so i dunno but i definitely did dv/dt
    You might have done this for a different section of the graph? Either way, you could be entitled to method marks for using dv/dt

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yodawg321)
    Yeah I drew the tangent and got around 14 acceleration
    Lets hope that's right, since I got the exact same answer!

ReputationRep:
    Can i get clarification that the force constant is the same as the spring constant and therefore was k. SO in that question where it asked you to define force constant, F/x = k would be ok?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvezon10)
    Oh god, I did 1/2b*h, from a to the end of the graph as I thought the area under the V/T graph represented the DE-acceleration. So it was w/e it was at point a , the area under there. So I did that wrong, great, I must of failed that paper hard; really hard.

When working out the density for the first question, wasn't it simply the mass divded by 0.w/e it was-0.w/e it was? I was told by other students that they multiplied it by a million to make it M^3 but it said cm^3 so I assumed it was simply correct to just put a decimal point infront...?

God, that was a nightmare compared to jan 2013, I was getting A's in my past papers but I seriously think I got an E on that.
    Same all of my mocks are As but my hopes for a decent grade are destroyed

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenajohny777)
    how did you guys work out the acceleration for the trolley question?
    I used F = kx, then substituted F into a = F/m
    But now I can't remember anything else I did :confused:

ReputationRep:
    i liked that paper, i answered every question pretty confidently, but i'll hold my breathe till results day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teamvezon10)

Sorry to hear that I'm fairly sure i messed up the density question somehow so i can't help you with that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liberty.)
    I used F = kx, then substituted F into a = F/m
    But now I can't remember anything else I did :confused:
    I remember using this for A and B, then finding the resultant (2.8N i think?), then using F=ma, 2.8 =0.8xa so a=3.5ms^-2, but again, i don't know if it's right

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else find that paper really hard or was it just me...

ReputationRep:
    Same all of my mocks are As but my hopes for a decent grade are destroyed

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm in the exact same position

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.