Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any ideas for theme 1B?

And should be an introductory paragraph or just an introductory sentence for the essays?

ReputationRep:
    For health and wealth, is it likely that one question will be on govt policies and the other will be on a factor limiting health or wealth??? Which question is easier to answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    For health and wealth, is it likely that one question will be on govt policies and the other will be on a factor limiting health or wealth??? Which question is easier to answer?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Anything could come up so don't fall in the trap of just revising one essay plan. I think the second essay is easier to answer if you remember a few statistics and use some common sense .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by madmissi)
    Yeah that's a good example, I was going to use it for effectiveness of govt policies as well

I just added today's story about Buckfast being linked to crime to my notes
    That's a really good example too. You could also discuss how the 2012 Alcohol and Minimum Pricing Act, which introduced a minimum cost of 50p per unit of alcohol, doesn't actually include Buckfast. Additionally, many supermarkets offer special deals on cheap liquor and beverages in order to circumvent the act.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ecosse_14)
    So I uploaded these forever ago but I'll chuck them in again since they seem to be quite popular topics that you guys are discussing at the mo. Note that you should try and find up to date statistics if possible as all of these are from a few years ago.

Also, don't be afraid to use the search function in here Threads for past modern studies exams will have so much information and help so have a look about.

As for the DME, I posted this post a while back with just some general advice, but people seemed to find it quite helpful so I'll share it with you guys too.

Hope that helps you guys out a bit!
    This is such a huge help!! Thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoJennyox)
    Anything could come up so don't fall in the trap of just revising one essay plan. I think the second essay is easier to answer if you remember a few statistics and use some common sense .
    Ah okay thank you! What areas have you split health and wealth into for revising??

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Is anyone else Freaking out for the exam on Thursday.... ITS TOO SOON:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amber_sss)
    Ah okay thank you! What areas have you split health and wealth into for revising??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I have just based my revision around the types of essay questions which could come up. I have made plans for each and am going to write them out in timed conditions.

Health and wealth is a pretty big topic. I haven't really split my revision into areas I have just taken it as it comes- probably not the best approach.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animelover123)
    Me....

ReputationRep:
    Some recent alcohol stats for anyone who's interested:

- A 2012 survey in European countries (published in journal, "Pediatrics") showed that 35% of Scottish school pupils drink to excess in early teenage years
    - 1/3 Scottish teenagers are binge drinking by age 13
    - Teenagers in this country are 2nd in terms of alcohol consumption, topped only by the Netherlands.

Factors associated with binge drinking: rebelliousness, peer drinking, school performance, age and sibling drinking
    Teenage bodies are not developed enough to cope with high alcohol consumption. Later problems = hepatitis, cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer, high blood pressure, mental health issues, and fetal alcohol syndrome
    Anyone found to be selling alcohol to someone under 18 is committing a criminal offence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    Some recent alcohol stats for anyone who's interested:

- A 2012 survey in European countries (published in journal, "Pediatrics") showed that 35% of Scottish school pupils drink to excess in early teenage years
    - 1/3 Scottish teenagers are binge drinking by age 13
    - Teenagers in this country are 2nd in terms of alcohol consumption, topped only by the Netherlands.

Factors associated with binge drinking: rebelliousness, peer drinking, school performance, age and sibling drinking
    Teenage bodies are not developed enough to cope with high alcohol consumption. Later problems = hepatitis, cirrhosis, pancreatic cancer, high blood pressure, mental health issues, and fetal alcohol syndrome
    Anyone found to be selling alcohol to someone under 18 is committing a criminal offence.
    What will this info be specifically for in the exam? Thanks .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by animelover123)
    I'm kinda freaking out, there is so much to learn and i'm not prepared... At all. I'm so thankful I have no conditions though, I'd probably have a breakdown if I did, haha!

ReputationRep:
    In need of urgent help for the DME. How can I stop waffling? I've been getting mediocre/average marks for the DME (20/30) because I seem to make my first couple of arguments extremely long-winded and repetitive. This, obviously, means that I usually end up having say, 3 arguments for and only 1 against. I know the DME can be a potentially very high-scoring paper and I NEED to sort this out by Thursday.

ReputationRep:
    What will this info be specifically for in the exam? Thanks .
    Health inequalities, I suppose?

ReputationRep:
    In need of urgent help for the DME. How can I stop waffling? I've been getting mediocre/average marks for the DME (20/30) because I seem to make my first couple of arguments extremely long-winded and repetitive. This, obviously, means that I usually end up having say, 3 arguments for and only 1 against. I know the DME can be a potentially very high-scoring paper and I NEED to sort this out by Thursday.
    Keep your paragraphs succinct. There does not need to be any fancy language which you will get no credit for. My structure:

Role and remit: basically copy out the box and state your stance.

At least 3 (or 4) arguments in favour of your stance:
    One line which introduces your argument.
    Next sentence which explains it using paraphrasing from the text source.
    Add in a statistic from the source.
    Then BK.
    Then maybe link back if you have time although this is not necessary.

Than arguments against your stance. I always introduce it with: "However my opponents would claim" so that it is clear to the examiner that this is the other side's argument.
    So use the same structure above but then add a rebuttal at the end of each. I suggest you do at least 2 of these paragraphs to be on the safe side. And add in some BK.

To make sure that you timing is okay, try and keep each of your arguments to perhaps 4- 5 sentences long.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Health inequalities, I suppose?
    I haven't done anything on alcohol in class...some major revision for then tonight. I know that those facts would be useful if the DME were to be that topic. But which essays would you talk about alcohol in (except from lifestyle choices)?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, how "old" are your statistics allowed to be? Is five years pushing it?

ReputationRep:
    By the way, how "old" are your statistics allowed to be? Is five years pushing it?
    we are told the 2000s are fine but more recent the better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahRH_)
    we are told the 2000s are fine but more recent the better
    Seriously, are we allowed to use examples that are that old? I'm just wary that the examiners will not like that...even I think using examples from pre-2008 are pretty out-of-date. will it count against me?

ReputationRep:
    Seriously, are we allowed to use examples that are that old? I'm just wary that the examiners will not like that...even I think using examples from pre-2008 are pretty out-of-date. will it count against me?
    i think it depends what for, i still use tony blair examples from 2005 for voting systems and it hasnt gone against me and i comapre 2004 and 2008 for the USA obama effect

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to university
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.