Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    Contact schools as soon as they open, and make sure you have a CRB/DBS certificate so you're ready to start experience asap. You will need to apply as soon as applications open for Secondary English, most places were filling up by december/january this year, so you'll need to have started gaining your classroom experience before you apply. You don't necessarily need to have it all done, but you should really have started it.
    Thanks for the advice.

how do I get a CRB/DBS before I start? I was informed each different place had to have their own certificate... Also, as long as I am supervised, legally I don't need cover, here is the relevant information about visitors to schools:

• Volunteers Checks are required only for those who have regular and unsupervised access to children and young people. Under the terms of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 where a volunteer is being adequately supervised, they are not considered to be working in regulated activity however often they do this, and the school does not need to request a DBS check. The Department for Education will shortly be publishing guidance to help schools decide what level of supervision would be considered adequate.

I will be starting experience in classrooms from September, it is just my subject specific experience I might not yet have started, depending on other schools. I hope to apply as soon as the course opens, as I have all my qualifications and will hopefully have a solid amount of experience by then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LaurieLee)
    Thanks for the advice.

how do I get a CRB/DBS before I start? I was informed each different place had to have their own certificate... Also, as long as I am supervised, legally I don't need cover, here is the relevant information about visitors to schools:

• Volunteers Checks are required only for those who have regular and unsupervised access to children and young people. Under the terms of the Protection of Freedoms Act 2012 where a volunteer is being adequately supervised, they are not considered to be working in regulated activity however often they do this, and the school does not need to request a DBS check. The Department for Education will shortly be publishing guidance to help schools decide what level of supervision would be considered adequate.

I will be starting experience in classrooms from September, it is just my subject specific experience I might not yet have started, depending on other schools. I hope to apply as soon as the course opens, as I have all my qualifications and will hopefully have a solid amount of experience by then!
    If you've already set up your experience then they should have informed you if you need a Crb check anyway. I know you legally don't need one unless you're unsupervised, however many schools still insist upon you getting one. You can use one that has been done recently if the school you're volunteering in will accept it, so you should clarify whether they'd accept this or if they'd want an individual one with them.
    Your subject specific classroom experience is the most important, so you'll definitely need to have done it before you have an interview, which is likely to be December or January but could be earlier depending on the provider.

ReputationRep:
    Does the date for 2014 applications get announced in advance of October? Some sources say its early October and others say mid October.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm a recent graduate of Criminology and I'm really interested in doing a PGCE in Primary education. During my years doing Criminology, my modules and most of my elective courses have been youth oriented and it's peaked my interest into becoming a teacher. I'm hoping to apply next year as I want to gain experience in a school before applying.

However, I'm finding it difficult to gain experience in a primary school and was hoping for some advice and pointers as to how I should go about doing this. I do have the necessary GCSE requirments for doing a PGCE but I don't have a degree in a National Curriculum subject, so I believe there may be a hesitation as to what I can bring to the school.

I have experience with children as I've been a Student Ambassador for my uni and have tutored my younger sister for her 11+ exams and during her time at primary school.

Any advice that you can give me on how to gain experience and even the application would be brilliant. Thank you in advance!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charbear92)
    Does the date for 2014 applications get announced in advance of October? Some sources say its early October and others say mid October.
    Applications open November 1st according to the UCASteacher training website.
    http://www.ucas.com/how-it-all-works/teacher-training

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnuNaj)
    Hi, I'm a recent graduate of Criminology and I'm really interested in doing a PGCE in Primary education. During my years doing Criminology, my modules and most of my elective courses have been youth oriented and it's peaked my interest into becoming a teacher. I'm hoping to apply next year as I want to gain experience in a school before applying.

However, I'm finding it difficult to gain experience in a primary school and was hoping for some advice and pointers as to how I should go about doing this. I do have the necessary GCSE requirments for doing a PGCE but I don't have a degree in a National Curriculum subject, so I believe there may be a hesitation as to what I can bring to the school.

I have experience with children as I've been a Student Ambassador for my uni and have tutored my younger sister for her 11+ exams and during her time at primary school.

Any advice that you can give me on how to gain experience and even the application would be brilliant. Thank you in advance!
    Schools will be unlikely to agree to take you on at the end of term time, probably why you're experiencing difficulty. Try in September and make sure you big up your previous experiences with children and also any other specific skills you have,such as art,sports etc.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when we find out the criteria of the QTS exams and is anyone considering a few sections with a tutor just to get the wheels turning again? I haven't done any maths since year 11 and didn't do any work during year 10 and 11 as I didn't get on with my teacher so I am really worried about my maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shelly_x)
    If you've already set up your experience then they should have informed you if you need a Crb check anyway. I know you legally don't need one unless you're unsupervised, however many schools still insist upon you getting one. You can use one that has been done recently if the school you're volunteering in will accept it, so you should clarify whether they'd accept this or if they'd want an individual one with them.
    Your subject specific classroom experience is the most important, so you'll definitely need to have done it before you have an interview, which is likely to be December or January but could be earlier depending on the provider.

Thanks for the help. I will be contacting as many local schools as I can, when term starts, so hopefully a few will have me. I have a friend teaching at one high school so I should be okay getting in to do something there.

As long as I go to the schools with something to offer, I've been told I'll stand a chance of getting to at the very least observe some lessons...

ReputationRep:
    I am definitely applying. Since this year the applications are done through the UCAS, does that mean i can only apply for PGCEs or can I also apply for other masters?

ReputationRep:
    I'm intending on applying in October for Secondary Geography, no idea where I am going to apply to though. Anyone else for secondary Geography?

ReputationRep:
    Yep. I'm about to start my final year of my BSc and then straight on to PGCE. I can't wait to be a teacher, it just feels like it'll be a very real and rewarding job.

ReputationRep:
    I emailed five schools 4 weeks ago but I did not get a response. Today I visited two of them, turns out they are closed till september. I guess I will need to arrange my supervision then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dragonfly07)
    Yep. I'm about to start my final year of my BSc and then straight on to PGCE. I can't wait to be a teacher, it just feels like it'll be a very real and rewarding job.
    Same. May I ask what degree are you doing now? Also what PGCE subject will you do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Louzilla)
    I'm intending on applying in October for Secondary Geography, no idea where I am going to apply to though. Anyone else for secondary Geography?
    Do you have school observations arranged for september? I plan to apply at the end of November or early December.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    Do you have school observations arranged for september? I plan to apply at the end of November or early December.
    Slightly, I've already done 7 days in a school and I have a placement module in my first semester for 10 days. I need to contact the school when they are open to confirm and I have another school I will be going back to for an afternoon a week. I'm hoping I'll be covered with this experience.
    Have you organised your observations? And are you applying for Geography?

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha.....or not Geography Where are you intending on applying?

ReputationRep:
    Same. May I ask what degree are you doing now? Also what PGCE subject will you do?
    I'm doing Biology and I'll go for a secondary science PGCE. What about you?

ReputationRep:
    Slightly, I've already done 7 days in a school and I have a placement module in my first semester for 10 days. I need to contact the school when they are open to confirm and I have another school I will be going back to for an afternoon a week. I'm hoping I'll be covered with this experience.

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha. Where are you intending on applying?
    Nope. I left it till the last minute because I was busy applying for summer internships. So far I have nothing arranged. I have emailed schools and even go to speak to the head of school but they are all closed. So the first week of september I will try again. I also wanted to volunteer with scouts but they are not doing anything this summer. I was told to wait till September. So yeah, I will be stressing myself this September.
    I am applying for MFL Spanish (and hopefully French). I heard there are always vacancies on those subjects so I hope I will be fine.

ReputationRep:

Woo, someone for Geography! Even if they are BSc haha.....or not Geography Where are you intending on applying?
    lol I'm not doing Geography sorry.

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing Biology and I'll go for a secondary science PGCE. What about you?
    Psychology and going for a MFL PGCE.

ReputationRep:
    Nope. I left it till the last minute because I was busy applying for summer internships. So far I have nothing arranged. I have emailed schools and even go to speak to the head of school but they are all closed. So the first week of september I will try again. I also wanted to volunteer with scouts but they are not doing anything this summer. I was told to wait till September. So yeah, I will be stressing myself this September.
    I am applying for MFL Spanish (and hopefully French). I heard there are always vacancies on those subjects so I hope I will be fine.

My lecturer told me do not email them as a first point of contact, she said you should always ring them and follow up with emails. She also said if you find out the name of the head of dept that is helpful for getting a shoe in the door.
    There are other ways of volunteering similar to scouts but it might be a bit late in the summer for it. I'm sure you'll do it.

lol I'm not doing Geography sorry.
    Gutted haha. Regardless, where are you applying?

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.