Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sleepyjode)
    how did you guys find??
    quick question for the diagram question in part 2, were they asking for a field sketch or a map of the area because some people did either one. will it make a difference?
    Should it of been a Map or a sketch at the location? I did a map...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bjmcgeough)
    Should it of been a Map or a sketch at the location? I did a map...
    Map, you did it correctly well done

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pm If Mad)
    Map, you did it correctly well done
    What is the difference?? I did a sketch of my location

I dont understand how you'd do a map of your study area as well as putting on characteristics?
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jade10128)
    What is the difference?? I did a sketch of my location

I dont understand how you'd do a map of your study area as well as putting on characteristics?
    Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well for example; you could draw the contour lines on and show a V shaped valley, or a gentle valley. Also, you could show a Meander with a slip off slope and label it 'deposition'...

That's what I did, but my aim is to compare changes to the river characteristics downstream...

ReputationRep:
    See my case study was population related, so for me a sketch of the location seemed to have a lot more going for it than a map :/ Oh well it's done now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcore96)
    See my case study was population related, so for me a sketch of the location seemed to have a lot more going for it than a map :/ Oh well it's done now
    I wouldn't worry... So long as it is a sketch showing 'characteristics' of an area, it will most likely be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I know of one howler I made on spear-man's rank, where my sigma d^2 was 78.5, so I got the second column rankings the wrong way round it seems, but my value came out to 7.256 so it still followed the same rules for significance level - but how many marks would I lose out on with the first part?

ReputationRep:
    I sketched the location for where my fieldwork took place (I did a river becoming sinuous, banks of deposition, vegetation, access points to the river etc labeled). I think the question was really misleading and ambiguous in all honesty.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mcore96)
    I know of one howler I made on spear-man's rank, where my sigma d^2 was 78.5, so I got the second column rankings the wrong way round it seems, but my value came out to 7.256 so it still followed the same rules for significance level - but how many marks would I lose out on with the first part?
    The sum of d^2 should have been 74.5, which in turn lead to an rs of:

1- (6(74.5)/12^3-12)which was 0.740 to 3 DP.

Therefore, I'd assume you'd lose at least 3 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bjmcgeough)
    Well for example; you could draw the contour lines on and show a V shaped valley, or a gentle valley. Also, you could show a Meander with a slip off slope and label it 'deposition'...

That's what I did, but my aim is to compare changes to the river characteristics downstream...
    Okay, thank you think I got it right, I did Long shore drift within a bay

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathsz0r)
    The sum of d^2 should have been 74.5, which in turn lead to an rs of:

1- (6(74.5)/12^3-12)which was 0.740 to 3 DP.

Therefore, I'd assume you'd lose at least 3 marks.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Damn three marks? I thought there would be some ecf for getting the sum of d^2 but all the follow through correct! Well, hopefully still 30+ on the exam :P

ReputationRep:
    I thought that exam was quite good. I got the spearmans rank correct with all the correct values, but I forgot to minus it from 1. How many marks do you think I'd loose?

ReputationRep:
    Let's assume there are 2 marks for values in the table, a mark for adding the D^2, 2 marks for the calculation, and a mark for 3 decimal places...

Assuming you got your answer correct to 3 decimal places, you have probably lost 2.

ReputationRep:
    What did you guys write for the disadvantages of the dots on the Brazil map?

The 1st obvious one is that dots overlap, but what did you put for the second weakness?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else run out of time?!!!! I missed at least 10 marks :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeMccarthy)

The 1st obvious one is that dots overlap, but what did you put for the second weakness?
    1) Dots overlap
    2) There are no labels for cities

Advantage is it is easy to spot any trends

ReputationRep:

I said it was impossible to tell exactly how many people there were. Hope that's right!

ReputationRep:

As an advantage i said it was a good visual representation

As disadvantages i said that a) the dots were too big to provide a specific location and b) it generalised the data too much, as it didn't include statistics on natural increase vs migration rates for example

ReputationRep:
    I got 0.740 and did a comparative bar chart
    The highest its ever been for an A is 35!

With the new government education changes, can you resit the same exam for a third time?

ReputationRep:

Takes a long time to calculate all the dots.

For the graph question I draw a compound bar graph like this: (obviously with different data, I found this on google)

Would I get the marks?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.