Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is it just me or are the AS marks really harsh this year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I agree, I got BCCC, very disapointed really, the course i want is 3 b's but I will just have to resit a couple modules and try hard next summer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpe diem 123)
    Exactly the same here! The exam went perfectly; there were no areas I felt I lost any significant marks at all. Yet I get my results back and it works out I got 83/100. Where did I lose 17 marks?! I have a feeling they have made the mark schemes really narrow; putting in rediculously pedantic things so as to catch out people in order to overalls reduce everyone's score.

Script back and a remark is in order here.
    Tell me about it. I've never been so confident with an exam before, and I never predict how many marks I've got in an exam. There's a possibility that the mark scheme was very precise and they could have rejected words/statements that some of our teachers have been telling us all year.

I'm considering getting a script back, at least then I can see for myself where I've gone wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThatScienceGuy)
    All i can say about F322 and F212 for OCR is wow... just wow
    Never been so gutted after being so confident after the exam.
    ditto! getting both these papers back - shocking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atemukay)
    people that didn't deserve high grades got them for example, someone got A in an exam which they revised last minute for, and someone who worked there ****ing ass off for weeks got a D
    I don't think that's true at all, the people who say they've revised last minute have actually put in a lot of effort through out the year and also worked hard and hence why they have scored an A. Also, at the end of the day, you could spend years on a concept and never truly understand it, time doesn't always equate to good marks, it increases the chance of you getting the top grades. My advice to you is, to revisit your revision plans, if you cannot understand a topic, NEVER skip it and say you're gunna come back to it later.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone do AQA AS product design unit 1 (3-d)? My whole year group massively under performed. Even A grade students got U's. I got an E when I was predicted a B. Ended up with a D overall despite my coursework being a high B. I've heard similar stories from another sixth form as well.

ReputationRep:
    Not me but my friend who achieved AABD on his AS grades.

He achieved the D on religious studies, in which he achieved an A or a B on the first exam and a U(?) on the second exam.
    Very surprising and has disrupted his plans on continuing it onto A2 as he wished too! Apparantly quite a few of the group got poor marks on that paper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by millwalljack)
    Did anyone do AQA AS product design unit 1 (3-d)? My whole year group massively under performed. Even A grade students got U's. I got an E when I was predicted a B. Ended up with a D overall despite my coursework being a high B. I've heard similar stories from another sixth form as well.
    I think a friend of mine did AQA AS product design. She got the highest mark for the exam out of the whole class/ year group (there's only one class for it in our year), and her grade was a D, if remember correctly. She's the type of person who gets straight A grades, haha.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also really pissed off with Edexcel. I do fine art under it and I spent whatever time on completing my sketchbook, spending countless hours throughout the night, and even sacrificed my textiles coursework (due for the same day) grade (got a D in the coursework) - and for what? A freaking C -_- I really felt like crying, and other people in my class who cannot draw for their life got As? I thought you needed talent to succeed in your favourite subjects. I feel so discouraged that I might not even get a B next year

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Atemukay)
    I know its true! Because the person who got the C grade actually helped the person who got the A, and trust me when i did help that person they truly had no idea and that was 3-4 days before the exam. I'm just destined for bad luck
    Well, now you have your results, you can't change anything. As harsh as that may sound. Anyways, focus on the future, you can still pull it back up. I'm not sure what you study, but particularly in the science/maths subjects I studied, the knowledge just carries on from previous units. I know you probably revised hard but try looking at your revision techniques again. My honest suggestion is, be ahead of your class, constantly do past paper questions on the topics you have learnt in your class. Also another thing is, do the mock tests you do in your class honestly, I know many people who cheat just to get a good grade in mocks, there's seriously no point in doing that. Use what your getting in mocks as an indication and finally, DON'T leave it too late. For Summer exams, I suggest you work through out the year but heavily start revision in January, perhaps even earlier. Also, follow what ever they say in specification, whatever they have listed will come up. Read the examiner reports and look for common mistakes, focus on these mistakes. That's my advice, whether you wanna take it on board is up to you. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    all my subjects grade boundaries were made so strict :'( i feel like a failure! and lost my desired grades by a few marks

ReputationRep:
    It simply disgusts me how examiners can be so careless. I swear if for every remark that went up, the applicant was refunded twice the price, there would hardly ever be the need for a remark.

ReputationRep:
    Remarks should be more like a bet between the board and the student. Loser pays up.

ReputationRep:
    I got A (Archaeology) B (Communication & Culture) B (Psychology) D (Classical Civilisation) and I was really expecting an A or B in ClassCiv as it was my best subject and ironically I go and get an A in my worst subject.
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadzworldz)
    Aww luck on the bright side we are still living can you please answer my question and ill give u some advice aswell?
    Yes, I am going to resit the year. I feel so much better, I was doing subjects I didn't particularly enjoy. Now I can start fresh and work harder!
    • Arsenal FC Supporter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by turnip storm)
    University's do give you offers based on your AS's, but mainly only those you are carrying on with. Just remember that if you retake the year, it can make some universities reject you on the spot!
    Also, like with my University which i just got into, they are usually lenient on one or two grades - so let's say that you achieve BBC at AS, you would probably get accepted onto a course of ABB or ABC
    What? That made me feel like 10 times worse. Just as I was feeling hopeful. You don't understand, my grades are way worse than just a BBC. And I don't see the problem, If you retake the year and do better then how can that be a problem?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Worms)
    Helllloooo!

Nope sorry, I did modern Germany (forgotten time frame already) and early tudors (I have also forgotten the time frame for this module), although I do think I am doing that module or a similar Russian history module for A2 next year!

How did you find it?
    Was Germany your source paper?

ReputationRep:
    One word.

Gove.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by weirdnessandcoffee)
    One word.

Gove.
    Oh, he's an odious fellar isn't he?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carpe diem 123)
    The marking for F322 is shocking. I was convinced I'd only lost one mark, and subsequently sat the actual paper a few days later which was marked by my chem teacher and she reckoned it would be around 97/100, yet I get my results and it's 123/150!

Definitely get your script photocopied and sent back and then get a remark. OCR chem is known for shoddy marking - it's such a long exam paper half the examiners loose the will to live and just fob people off with badly graded questions.

Good luck!
    I think the grade boundaries for F322 must've been really high this year. I truly thought that was going to be my strongest result but I only just scraped an A, got 122/150. I thought I'd done so much better in chemistry than in physics yet got 135/150 for physics even though I messed up the paper. Chemistry must've had comparatively harsh marking, either that or physics was very generous.
    Also what the **** happened with the science practical marks this year? My teachers told me my marks would get me As for the coursework, yet for chemistry, physics and biology they came back as Bs. Damn it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeganRok)
    Some for having AEE or anyone with more than 1 fail Seriously so harsh
    What type of school do you go too?

Does not sound right that they can pretend they are a good school by just kicking out people who don't do well, when it is probably partly down to poor teaching, to keep their statistics up.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.