The Student Room Group

UCL postgrad applicants 2014-2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Mmmwehh
The letter only took a couple of days, but it's literally an A4 page telling me I have a place. A bit of information would have been lovely.. it's sad but I love reading through stuff like that haha, it gets me excited!

Plus I think it just makes the university look more welcoming, but that's just me!

Have you received anything after accepting?

Me too! No I haven't received anything since accepting haha, I might email the department to find out some information about class sizes etc :smile: but it has been 9 days since I accepted so I'm not sure I will be getting any welcome post!
Actually, does anyone here know about size classes or department sizes or just any general information they can share about the School of Public Policy (Security Studies would be even better)? Or what the class size is generally for postgraduate courses? I don't recall seeing anything about that before I applied. Before I annoy them with my email haha..
Reply 302
Hey guys, ive applied to Msc Economics. Been waiting for over two months. Similar cases anyone?
Reply 303
Original post by rtyu
Hey guys, ive applied to Msc Economics. Been waiting for over two months. Similar cases anyone?

Same here. It's been over 2 months already.

Good thing I've already received an offer from my first choice, otherwise I'd be getting worried/impatient ..
Reply 304
Yep same ^. Though hasn't been 2 months for me yet but over 6 weeks.
Reply 305
Original post by oywiththepoodles
Me too! No I haven't received anything since accepting haha, I might email the department to find out some information about class sizes etc :smile: but it has been 9 days since I accepted so I'm not sure I will be getting any welcome post!

That's a shame! Perhaps they'll wait and send everything over the summer like registration info etc.

I would also like to know about class sizes! Perhaps have a looksee if there are any facebook groups for previous years for your course? You may be able to get an idea from how many people have joined those.. Or you could just email them! I may do the same :smile:

Also have you seen the custom timetable on Portico? Hours of endless fun!
Reply 306
Original post by rtyu

Yep. Applied mid Jan. Already accepted an offer elsewhere that was tied for first place with UCL on my list.
Reply 307
Original post by knyamz
Yep. Applied mid Jan. Already accepted an offer elsewhere that was tied for first place with UCL on my list.

Congrats! Im still waiting on my first choice.
Reply 308
Original post by rtyu
Congrats! Im still waiting on my first choice.

I applied at the end of November for the MSc Economics but haven't received any outcome yet...
In the meantime I have received offers from the 4 other unis I applied to but I think UCL would be my first choice.
Reply 309
Original post by tobbix
I applied at the end of November for the MSc Economics but haven't received any outcome yet...
In the meantime I have received offers from the 4 other unis I applied to but I think UCL would be my first choice.

Wow that is a long wait. I applied dec end. I hv a feeling we will hear from them soon. They asked me for my official gre score card... means they are looking into it..
Reply 310
Original post by rtyu
Wow that is a long wait. I applied dec end. I hv a feeling we will hear from them soon. They asked me for my official gre score card... means they are looking into it..

Yeah, I hope so. It's a bit weird.. I applied to Oxford 2 months later but have already received the result.

I mean, it should be in the interest of the university that the candidates get their results as soon as possible otherwise they might choose just another uni...
Reply 311
Thanks for all your advice guys, that was really helpful. I firmed UCL !
Reply 312
Original post by tobbix
Yeah, I hope so. It's a bit weird.. I applied to Oxford 2 months later but have already received the result.

I mean, it should be in the interest of the university that the candidates get their results as soon as possible otherwise they might choose just another uni...

True that. Lets W.A.I.T some more lol
Original post by Spairos
I have an uncoditional offer for PhD in UCL.

I suppose it depends on the field that you want to work.
I know many people who work in pharmaceutical companies. They probably have an msc in stats with medical applications (like that one from Sheffield) thought, and/or they have a PhD in a related area as well.
Others work in bank or in insurance companies (but those are more actuary-oriented).

Dealing with "Big Data" is one of the most high-paying jobs and in great demand. Someone with BSc in Statistics and MSc in Computers (or vice-versa, like your case), have the perfetct background for it. Please keep in mind thought, that all "Big Data" jobs, although they provide you with good salary, however they also require fore PhD.

Other than these there are many other sectors where you can work (Perhaps secondary education? But you will need a PGCE for that). Albeit I don't know a lot in general, because I am looking forward for a career in academia and thus I am not aware of all the available choices in the industry.

Thanks for the information. I looked into it. I am not really sure about how much of higher level mathematics I will be able to keep up with. In one of the university websites offering MSc in Statistics and Machine Learning its written that first two weeks there will be a maths revision conducted. Those who aren't able to keep up will be transferred to Machine Learning course. So lets see. Congratulations for your admit! Good luck with your PhD.
Reply 314
Was anyone else invited to interview for the MSc in Developmental and Clinical Practice?
I had my interview on the 20th! I was so impressed by the questions they asked....incredible program!
:frown: 2-3 weeks til results come out ahhh!
Reply 315
Hey guys, my status for the English Masters: Issues in Modern Culture updated to "Currently being processed by Admissions" yesterday morning (I'm an American living in EST time zone), yet the Portico has not yet given me a decision. I scoured past forums, and pretty much everyone said that they received their acceptance or rejection several hours later (around 7:00 PM EST) upon seeing that status update. Has anyone else gotten a later notice for this update... or should I just assume that this is a passive aggressive way of being rejected?
Reply 316
Original post by BeritV
Hey there,

I am! Actually got my offer on Tuesday (an unofficial one from the department, hopefully gonna get an official one soon!). How is your application progressing? Where else are you applying?

Hi there, congratulations on getting the offer! May I ask what is your background? Have you got any experience in computing? What are your other choices?
My application is still being assessed, I submitted it on the 16th of December... :frown:
I emailed them in February asking what was going on and they just told me to be 'aware that due to the high volume of applications...'.
Reply 317
Hi everyone, I applied for the MSc in Machine Learning and have got the informal acceptance from the department. Anybody knows how long does it usually take until they give the formal acceptance letter in portico?
Reply 318
Original post by routing_call
Thanks for the information. I looked into it. I am not really sure about how much of higher level mathematics I will be able to keep up with. In one of the university websites offering MSc in Statistics and Machine Learning its written that first two weeks there will be a maths revision conducted. Those who aren't able to keep up will be transferred to Machine Learning course. So lets see. Congratulations for your admit! Good luck with your PhD.

You are welcome! Congratulations and good luck as well!
Hey!
I have applied for EPEE at UCL! And I was offered a place to start next September... I also got an offer for Imperial (Environmental Technology), so now I am hoping to get some scholarship to decide. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending