Muslim students at Queen Mary calling for a ‘right to pray’ Watch

User1310602
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
Yet haven't used such tone, as through your example.

20+? The reality is very different, there is only 1 mosque thats close enough for usage by the universities Muslim which itself has stated it cannot accommodate them......I have even stated it in the first page of this thread, detailing why they can't, there is no space, they can't even barely accommodate their local communities.
They didn't keep asking, they simply campaigned to raise awareness of the issue, such as praying outside the Queens building so the Principle himself can see how many people genuinely turn up and understand that there clearly isn't enough space. There is absolutely nothing wrong with how they did things, politics has always worked like this........as have Student unions over many issues but no one complains about that.
And it was wrong, if you went to the recent Council Meeting you would've heard that the University admitted that there was some sort of Admin error and issue behind restricting access to the halls and that they were wrong to do so. The SU is even now pushing for a report into the usage of University space and how there's a lot of inefficiency, etc
‘You’re chatting utter nonsense’ seems slightly more hostile compared to ‘I think you’re misinformed’.
Look it up, there are indeed 20+ prayer facilities within a 1 mile radius, how can that not be enough space? I know Muslims usually have exceptionally large number of kids, but seriously this is too much. If there’s really that much of an issue with spacing how can a single hall help solve anything? Take all those that the hall can facilitate and divide that number by the 20+ facilities. It’s just a few extra people to accommodate per facility.
Yes, raising awareness so that QM reverses its decision. It’s still demanding something, just demanding it through a campaign. Ok, so praying outside demonstrated that there is not enough space. So what if there isn’t, it’s not QM’s problem. Go and campaign outside you mosques. Usually campaigns focus on issues that matter like nuclear disarmament, fair pay, austerity measures, gay rights, women’s rights, global warming, poverty etc. in comparison this is a pathetic cause to campaign for.
The admin error is irrelevant. Even is the hall is completely available for use, the Isoc cannot demand approval for usage.
Iqbal007
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by shouldbestudying)
‘You’re chatting utter nonsense’ seems slightly more hostile compared to ‘I think you’re misinformed’.
Look it up, there are indeed 20+ prayer facilities within a 1 mile radius, how can that not be enough space? I know Muslims usually have exceptionally large number of kids, but seriously this is too much. If there’s really that much of an issue with spacing how can a single hall help solve anything? Take all those that the hall can facilitate and divide that number by the 20+ facilities. It’s just a few extra people to accommodate per facility.
Yes, raising awareness so that QM reverses its decision. It’s still demanding something, just demanding it through a campaign. Ok, so praying outside demonstrated that there is not enough space. So what if there isn’t, it’s not QM’s problem. Go and campaign outside you mosques. Usually campaigns focus on issues that matter like nuclear disarmament, fair pay, austerity measures, gay rights, women’s rights, global warming, poverty etc. in comparison this is a pathetic cause to campaign for.
The admin error is irrelevant. Even is the hall is completely available for use, the Isoc cannot demand approval for usage.
Once again, thats a very opinionated observation on the matter and makes no sense, the statement is clear nor is hostile.
20+? :rofl: Agaín read my fírst post or even read the ÍSOC's statement in regards to these other facilities. None of which are wíthin reasonable walking distance not mention none have the space to accommodate us. Have you ever been to a mosque in London for Fríday Jumah prayers? :rolleyes: Í have and Í can tell you there ís no space, especially ín the Queen Mary area, the local people miss fríday prayers as there ís no space, what do you not understand, there ís no space thats a fact nor ís ít a few extra people we are talkíng about hundreds of Muslím students who want to pray, and what about the gírls which aren't accommodated in these mosques as they can't.

Again opíníonated, by that defínítíon, everythíng ís a demand, askíng your mum to buy you some chocolate when shes out is suddenly a demand, etc. And it is QM's problem, it affects their place in the local community, it affects potential students, it affects their students so of course it is. Haha a campaign is a campaign, regardless I can easily argue for a better cause, then a better one then that and that will continue, but that doesn't the campaign isn't worth somethíng whích ít ís to people who are affected however small that may be. The Admin error is relevant because it prevented SOC's from booking it..........well who cares, the ISOC can use the hall now, and have so for the last 2 weeks so :bhangra:
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Once again, thats a very opinionated observation on the matter and makes no sense, the statement is clear nor is hostile.
20+? :rofl: Agaín read my fírst post or even read the ÍSOC's statement in regards to these other facilities. None of which are wíthin reasonable walking distance not mention none have the space to accommodate us. Have you ever been to a mosque in London for Fríday Jumah prayers? :rolleyes: Í have and Í can tell you there ís no space, especially ín the Queen Mary area, the local people miss fríday prayers as there ís no space, what do you not understand, there ís no space thats a fact
Totally illogical argument.

I was at the pub last week. There was no space. That is a fact.

Therefore Queen Mary University London should provide extra drinking space on campus.

THAT is what your argument sounds like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pessimisterious)
Totally illogical argument.

I was at the pub last week. There was no space. That is a fact.

Therefore Queen Mary University London should provide extra drinking space on campus.

THAT is what your argument sounds like.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Great example to compare wíth :rolleyes:
Well the issue has ended, ÍSOC can book the halls, so debate all you want.
Pessimisterious
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Great example to compare wíth :rolleyes:
Well the issue has ended, ÍSOC can book the halls, so debate all you want.
It wasn't an example, it was an analogy based on your own argument.

The debate can still continue.

Do you realise the Islam society only won through blackmail. It's quite immoral really, and hardly seems in line with the true values of any religious practice. If the university upheld the original decision, it will have only ended up as another false allegation of racial discrimination. Hence the solution was through blackmail. The university had no choice.

I hate all religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Pessimisterious)
It wasn't an example, it was an analogy based on your own argument.

The debate can still continue.

Do you realise the Islam society only won through blackmail. It's quite immoral really, and hardly seems in line with the true values of any religious practice. If the university upheld the original decision, it will have only ended up as another false allegation of racial discrimination. Hence the solution was through blackmail. The university had no choice.

I hate all religion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh really? well great analogy based on my argument :rolleyes:

oh really, wow no supporting evidence or the likes, well keep up with makíng assumptions :bebored:
User1310602
Rep:
?
20+? :rofl: Agaín read my fírst post or even read the ÍSOC's statement in regards to these other facilities. None of which are wíthin reasonable walking distance not mention none have the space to accommodate us. Have you ever been to a mosque in London for Fríday Jumah prayers? :rolleyes: Í have and Í can tell you there ís no space, especially ín the Queen Mary area, the local people miss fríday prayers as there ís no space, what do you not understand, there ís no space thats a fact nor ís ít a few extra people we are talkíng about hundreds of Muslím students who want to pray, and what about the gírls which aren't accommodated in these mosques as they can't.

Again opíníonated, by that defínítíon, everythíng ís a demand, askíng your mum to buy you some chocolate when shes out is suddenly a demand, etc. And it is QM's problem, it affects their place in the local community, it affects potential students, it affects their students so of course it is. Haha a campaign is a campaign, regardless I can easily argue for a better cause, then a better one then that and that will continue, but that doesn't the campaign isn't worth somethíng whích ít ís to people who are affected however small that may be. The Admin error is relevant because it prevented SOC's from booking it..........well who cares, the ISOC can use the hall now, and have so for the last 2 weeks so :bhangra:
Well off course it’s opinionated. I said I would FEEL unsafe if you got to know my identity because I FEEL like your tone’s quite hostile. It’s nothing to do with objective facts, it’s my own disposition.
Awww so now Muslims have a problem with taking the bus to prayer facilities within a one mile radius? Bravo! It certainly shows how dedicated you guys are to your Allah. *Sigh* if there really is such a problem with space across the whole of East London with prayer facilities severely struggling to accommodate for local Muslims I guess you guys just have to get over it. It’s beyond your control. A single hall is not going to solve the problem. The Muslim population is obviously getting bigger and sooner or later you’ll have to accept that it’s simply not possible for ALL of you to pray together every Friday. You’re in the UK; this country doesn’t revolve around your needs. You’re going to have to sometimes sacrifice your religion. Students at QM just have to choose between attending lectures or taking the bus to a local mosque to pray. You can’t expect to do both.
I didn’t say everything’s a demand, I said the Isoc demanded the decision to be overturned, which they clearly did because they couldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer even though it was the result of a years’ worth of meetings. It’s NOT IN ANYWAY QM’s problem. They are secular institution for the general public. They are here to educate the public, not to meet the spiritual needs of group of God obsessed students. If prayer facilities were a general need that most people in this country had, then fair enough but it is hardly a need and hardly a general one.
Yep, it’s a campaign just an unjustified, and worthless one. You guys should have put your efforts into campaigning against global poverty or something rather than for access to a hall to bow down to your cosmic dictator. It’s not relevant even if it prevented the bookings, QM does not need a practical reason to deny usage.
Well this argument wasn’t ever going to contribute to the outcome anyway.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Well off course it’s opinionated. I said I would FEEL unsafe if you got to know my identity because I FEEL like your tone’s quite hostile. It’s nothing to do with objective facts, it’s my own disposition.

Awww so now Muslims have a problem with taking the bus to prayer facilities within a one mile radius? Bravo! It certainly shows how dedicated you guys are to your Allah. *Sigh* if there really is such a problem with space across the whole of East London with prayer facilities severely struggling to accommodate for local Muslims I guess you guys just have to get over it. It’s beyond your control. A single hall is not going to solve the problem. The Muslim population is obviously getting bigger and sooner or later you’ll have to accept that it’s simply not possible for ALL of you to pray together every Friday. You’re in the UK; this country doesn’t revolve around your needs. You’re going to have to sometimes sacrifice your religion. Students at QM just have to choose between attending lectures or taking the bus to a local mosque to pray. You can’t expect to do both.
I didn’t say everything’s a demand, I said the Isoc demanded the decision to be overturned, which they clearly did because they couldn’t take ‘no’ for an answer even though it was the result of a years’ worth of meetings. It’s NOT IN ANYWAY QM’s problem. They are secular institution for the general public. They are here to educate the public, not to meet the spiritual needs of group of God obsessed students. If prayer facilities were a general need that most people in this country had, then fair enough but it is hardly a need and hardly a general one.
Yep, it’s a campaign just an unjustified, and worthless one. You guys should have put your efforts into campaigning against global poverty or something rather than for access to a hall to bow down to your cosmic dictator. It’s not relevant even if it prevented the bookings, QM does not need a practical reason to deny usage.
Well this argument wasn’t ever going to contribute to the outcome anyway.
Again very opinionated, not to mention I'm not even part of the ISOC nor does the ISOC allow such behaviour towards others.

You gave the supposed "solution", I simply replied with the truth about these mosques nor are all of them accessibly so easily by public transport. The reality is that many will have to choose between their faith and their lectures........and it is in fact the universities problem if they are missing them and talking to others to not come there for such issues. If you don't agree with that, maybe ask the principle if he believes that it is an issue for him, because he certainly thought so.
Again, same thing, does that mean when you appeal in a court you are "demanding", no you are not, same with this campaign to make them look again at the issue which they did and reversed their decision and found flaws of changes to the hall system.

You think they don't.......the ISOC does a lot, raised nearly £35k the other week for children in need and orphans.......any campaign can be justified and it has worth in the eyes of those who believe it, its wrong to tell them to put their efforts elsewhere when it affects them.
Kimura_curry
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Again very opinionated, not to mention I'm not even part of the ISOC nor does the ISOC allow such behaviour towards others..
how do you know what isoc allow or don't allow if you are not even a member? sounds like you are making assumptions that suit your POV.
You gave the supposed "solution", I simply replied with the truth about these mosques nor are all of them accessibly so easily by public transport. The reality is that many will have to choose between their faith and their lectures........and it is in fact the universities problem if they are missing them and talking to others to not come there for such issues. .
its not the universities problem, it is in fact the muslim that ignores getting a complete education for the sake of ritually going to mosque. nowhere in the Koran is it written that a muslim needs to leave a university to go to a mosque. this a cultural issue. if a muslim prioritises getting a education, he/she would go to all their classes first, as any non muslim would. if not,fine then they make the choice to be uneducated - that is their own choice,

You think they don't.......the ISOC does a lot, raised nearly £35k the other week for children in need and orphans.......any campaign can be justified and it has worth in the eyes of those who believe it, its wrong to tell them to put their efforts elsewhere when it affects them.
that's good if they are actually paying toward an actual charitable cause. a lot of Islamic 'charities' have this status without actually giving to a non-religiously motivated cause. in fact many have bene shown simply to be directing money to Islamic terrorist organisations. so its perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of these 'charities
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Kimura_curry)
how do you know what isoc allow or don't allow if you are not even a member? sounds like you are making assumptions that suit your POV.

Because the ISOC is a religious based group, hence follow the rules of Islam and being a society follow the rules of the university :rolleyes: Plus I actually know the people who run the ISOC, they are nothing like that, generally quiet guys but jokes amongst themselves.

its not the universities problem, it is in fact the muslim that ignores getting a complete education for the sake of ritually going to mosque. nowhere in the Koran is it written that a muslim needs to leave a university to go to a mosque. this a cultural issue. if a muslim prioritises getting a education, he/she would go to all their classes first, as any non muslim would. if not,fine then they make the choice to be uneducated - that is their own choice,
:rofl: In Islam there's a obligation to pray 5 times a day between certain times...sounds like a cultural issue doesn't it :rolleyes:
Guess which one they'll pick....and it is the uni's problem as stated many times before.

that's good if they are actually paying toward an actual charitable cause. a lot of Islamic 'charities' have this status without actually giving to a non-religiously motivated cause. in fact many have bene shown simply to be directing money to Islamic terrorist organisations. so its perfectly reasonable to be suspicious of these 'charities
The charity used is Islamic Relief.....and they are a part of the DEC which the UK government funnel AID money through, so I doubt that very much. A lot of well-known Islamic charities are fine, you are simply talking about the dodgy ones which pop up.
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You back for more?
I was laughing at you but what you got for me babes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
User1310602
Rep:
?
(Original post by 419)
I was laughing at you but what you got for me babes.

Posted from TSR Mobile
You've got me confused babes.
Kimura_curry
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

Because the ISOC is a religious based group, hence follow the rules of Islam and being a society follow the rules of the university Plus I actually know the people who run the ISOC, they are nothing like that, generally quiet guys but jokes amongst themselves..
its still a lot of generalisation, especially seeing as you aren't even a memeber. there are a lot of organisations that stick 'islamic' in front of their name and create mass debate as to how isoc they actually are. All isoc is a gathering of students that call themselves muslims. Its run how their appointed representatives decide,
In Islam there's a obligation to pray 5 times a day between certain times...sounds like a cultural issue doesn't it
Guess which one they'll pick....and it is the uni's problem as stated many times before.
You were trying to talk about the obligation to go to mosques, even at expense of uni classes - correct me if wrong but Koran didn't specify muslims have to do that in a mosque - so yes it is a man made- cultural habit ! Why even go to uni for an education at all if you deem going to a mosque every day is more important than being educated
The charity used is Islamic Relief.....and they are a part of the DEC which the UK government funnel AID money through, so I doubt that very much. A lot of well-known Islamic charities are fine, you are simply talking about the dodgy ones which pop up .
Islamic relief is just one, and even that has been controversial in some peoples eyes., ie some bodies in USA have identified IRUK and its usa affiliates to fund Hamas and hamas related bodies. We know that there were various 'dodgy' ones that hit the news that simply funnel donations straight to terrorist activities across the globe - typically Islamic charities funnel a lot of money to ongoing warzones where terrorisits operate anyway - Iraq, afganistan, Syria, libya, Palestine, Somalia etc, ( as oppssed to muslim countries where people have lived in poverty for decades ie Ethiopia pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, sudan etc - so it often ends up in wrong hands - it is the reason most people are suspicious of motives of Islamic charities.
Britishstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
ISOC aren't exactly rich you know..........they only get like £50-£100 from the SU for the year.
I wrote in my previous post about the issues of local mosque, only one is in adequate distance but it can't meet the local communities demand for it, its actually overflowing....they use every little bit of space they have, the shoe area, the washing area, even their kitchen and still its not enough.

It's been regularly checked by both the isoc and QMSU.....the only one that has been used for events is for careers but that was for a week and that was in one of the halls, the other wouldn't really be used as its a theater.
What rubbish. There is one near the bottom of Bancroft Road and a couple very close to Stepney Green.

390,127 stated in the last census that their religion is Jedi. Should they have premises too?
Britishstudent
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
There are two at the bottom of Bancroft Road. This person spouting off there is only one is talking utter nonsense.

Even if there were a lack of mosques, I see this as an issue for Tower Hamlets, not QM.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Britishstudent)
What rubbish. There is one near the bottom of Bancroft Road and a couple very close to Stepney Green.

390,127 stated in the last census that their religion is Jedi. Should they have premises too?
Again look at whats bee told, even look at the written words of the local imams stating that they don't even have space for friday prayers.

Well if they have a Society, then they can book rooms, just like the ISOC can.

(Original post by Kimura_curry)
its still a lot of generalisation, especially seeing as you aren't even a memeber. there are a lot of organisations that stick 'islamic' in front of their name and create mass debate as to how isoc they actually are. All isoc is a gathering of students that call themselves muslims. Its run how their appointed representatives decide,

So what if I'm not a member, I'm still very good friends of the people who run the ÍSOC, í'm pretty much know the goings on behind the scenes at many isocs. They are run based on Islamic principles, though it differs which opinions they take.
You were trying to talk about the obligation to go to mosques, even at expense of uni classes - correct me if wrong but Koran didn't specify muslims have to do that in a mosque - so yes it is a man made- cultural habit ! Why even go to uni for an education at all if you deem going to a mosque every day is more important than being educated

haha Friday prayers? they do have a oblígatíon to go and pray together, just as they do wíth prayer 5 tímes a day and ín some opínions they say its mandatory to pray together :rolleyes:

Islamic relief is just one, and even that has been controversial in some peoples eyes., ie some bodies in USA have identified IRUK and its usa affiliates to fund Hamas and hamas related bodies. We know that there were various 'dodgy' ones that hit the news that simply funnel donations straight to terrorist activities across the globe - typically Islamic charities funnel a lot of money to ongoing warzones where terrorisits operate anyway - Iraq, afganistan, Syria, libya, Palestine, Somalia etc, ( as oppssed to muslim countries where people have lived in poverty for decades ie Ethiopia pakistan, Bangladesh, Indonesia, sudan etc - so it often ends up in wrong hands - it is the reason most people are suspicious of motives of Islamic charities.
:rofl: Do you even know what the DEC is.........they have to be transparent, why else does the UK allow aid to pass through them because they are the best, most transparent groups. Erm where else will they help, they help in areas where there are needs duhhhh
Info.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Again look at whats bee told, even look at the written words of the local imams stating that they don't even have space for friday prayers.

Well if they have a Society, then they can book rooms, just like the ISOC can.

:rofl: Do you even know what the DEC is.........they have to be transparent, why else does the UK allow aid to pass through them because they are the best, most transparent groups. Erm where else will they help, they help in areas where there are needs duhhhh
the countries that need the most help are those those in highest levels of poverty ie Congo, Eritrea Ethiopia, Malawi, Burundi etc - not places like Syria and Iraq where muslims send most of their money to fund Islamic wars. islams priority is not helping people and certainly not education, its pushing Islamic agendas.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Info.)
the countries that need the most help are those those in highest levels of poverty ie Congo, Eritrea Ethiopia, Malawi, Burundi etc - not places like Syria and Iraq where muslims send most of their money to fund Islamic wars. islams priority is not helping people and certainly not education, its pushing Islamic agendas.
:rofl: Íts not hard why Muslíms would send money to certaín places, íf theír famílíes come from there or due to having somethíng ín common.
-
-And what :facepalm: they send theír money to help those ín need who are sufferíng as a result of the war not to fund ít, whích western governments are doíng :rolleyes:
Info.
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
:rofl: Íts not hard why Muslíms would send money to certaín places, íf theír famílíes come from there or due to having somethíng ín common.
-
-And what :facepalm: they send theír money to help those ín need who are sufferíng as a result of the war not to fund ít, whích western governments are doíng :rolleyes:
a tiny proportion of muslims in uk are from Palestine, Iraq and Syria. But most uk muslims donate their money to those places, to fund the ongoig wars. whereas many millions more die of malnutrition in the African countries I previously mentioned, and they don't really care. So as I said, don't try and paint a picture islam is concerned about people, its primary concern is promoting islamic causes first and foremost. and in respect to university, Islamic groups priority is not for muslims to become educated, but to argue for more mosques etc.
Iqbal007
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Info.)
a tiny proportion of muslims in uk are from Palestine, Iraq and Syria. But most uk muslims donate their money to those places, to fund the ongoig wars. whereas many millions more die of malnutrition in the African countries I previously mentioned, and they don't really care. So as I said, don't try and paint a picture islam is concerned about people, its primary concern is promoting islamic causes first and foremost. and in respect to university, Islamic groups priority is not for muslims to become educated, but to argue for more mosques etc.
The ígnorance ís unbelíevable.......many people donate based on some common background such as the area, famíly, faíth or where ever they want to donate, ís theír money not yours. Secondly "fund the ongoíg wars", so donatíng to help the refugees, gíve them food, medícíne, etc is now fundíng a war1 :facepalm:

haha díd you even reads what goíng, ís símple, they want to book a hall for use on a fríday so the Muslíms students can pray :rolleyes: whích they got:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (189)
22.74%
The paper was reasonable (383)
46.09%
Not feeling great about that exam... (154)
18.53%
It was TERRIBLE (105)
12.64%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise