Brits should start learning some Arabic Watch

This discussion is closed.
Marco1
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No. After English, the French, Spanish, Italian and German languages are the beautiful ones. Lets not forget the prominence of Latin and even ancient Greek. All the aforementioned languages have a wealthy expanse of high literature. Arabic script is a nightmare and the language sounds jabberish and ugly to the ear. Despite trade benefits, I would never learn Arabic because I have no interest or admiration for Arabic culture.
Dnator
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iqbal007)
What does that have to do with anything :confused:

Arabic has loads of dialects and is the main language in loads of countries, not just Saudi Arabia.........places like the UAE. Jordan right all the way to Morocco, Tunisia, even Sudan, etc
And they are all great countries with great powerhouse economies...

Stick to English, German, a latin language and if you can be arsed to change alphabet then Mandarin or Russian.
Hellcat12
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dnator)
All the Arabic countries are corrupt desert wastelands propped up on oil money so no, thank you.
Very decent view for not wanting to learn a language. :facepalm:

Economically illiterate people everywhere. :rolleyes:
Observatory
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
To be important I think a language has to be spoken by people who:

1. possess large amounts of traded economic resources and/or military power

2. can and will refuse to learn English

I think only Mandarin really fits the bill. Japan isn't that significant and educated Japanese speak English. Hispanosphere is largely irrelevant, and all the elites speak perfect English. Russia is moderately relevant with a genuinely separate internal culture from the Anlgosphere, but not really enough to justify the difficulty of the language. Arabic-speaking world has a separate internal culture to the Anglosphere, but it consists of countries that are either completely irrelevant, or little more than Western clients. Need for some diplomats and intelligence agency employees, certainly none for the general public.

Of course Chinese elites currently learn English too, but in the next few decades there will be increasingly less reason to, and more need for English-speaking elites to reciprocate.
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Hellcat12)
Very decent view for not wanting to learn a language. :facepalm:

Economically illiterate people everywhere. :rolleyes:
I cannot imagine not being able to speak arabic will ever hold me back, if my company ever sends me to the UAE I might consider it but otherwise...why learn arabic when you can learn French, German, Spanish, Russian or Mandarin?

And please explain what useful things Arabic countries are doing on the world stage other than pumping oil? I am not interested in what ancient arabic countries did, in case you were going to say something along those lines.
Lord Jon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I'll learn whatever language I please OP

Posted from TSR Mobile
Malevolent
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Nah you're alright
Hellcat12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I cannot imagine not being able to speak arabic will ever hold me back, if my company ever sends me to the UAE I might consider it but otherwise...why learn arabic when you can learn French, German, Spanish, Russian or Mandarin?
I am not saying that you should learn it, there is no need to learn a language unless required.
You can easily go along with plain English in the Emirates too, we are thankfully blessed with the power of good speech and linguistics.
Now here comes the bias view, Arabic holds the same worth in the hearts of Muslims as British English in the hearts of the British so I implore you not to make such ridiculous assumptions, it is an embarrassment for yourself.
Jebedee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Arab businessmen can be a pain in the ass to deal with, avoided if possible.
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
I am not saying that you should learn it, there is no need to learn a language unless required.
You can easily go along with plain English in the Emirates too, we are thankfully blessed with the power of good speech and linguistics.
Now here comes the bias view, Arabic holds the same worth in the hearts of Muslims as British English in the hearts of the British so I implore you not to make such ridiculous assumptions, it is an embarrassment for yourself.
What about my economic illiteracy? English holds no emotional worth to me, it is a useful lingua franca - who cares how 'Muslims hold Arabic in their hearts?'.
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by G8D)
Learning languages isn't that interesting to most people. It doesn't help that Arabic sounds absolutely disgusting either.
Really? I think Arabic sounds really nice when spoken softly.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
No offence but you aren't blessed with anything, it's because English is the most important language and the only truly international language that it is spoken in the Arab world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Riko-Slk
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
No offence but you aren't blessed with anything, it's because English is the most important language and the only truly international language that it is spoken in the Arab world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
And they are all great countries with great powerhouse economies...

Stick to English, German, a latin language and if you can be arsed to change alphabet then Mandarin or Russian.
Closed minded westerner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hellcat12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
What about my economic illiteracy? English holds no emotional worth to me, it is a useful lingua franca - who cares how 'Muslims hold Arabic in their hearts?'.
"Corrupt Desert wastelands", "propped up on oil money". Do I need to point out more than this?
Perhaps not you, who cares anyways.

(Original post by Ggmu!)

Posted from TSR Mobile
No offence but you missed the sarcasm and thank you very much. No, you are wrong, I am an Arab and even in Dubai, Arabic is stressed upon. The medium of cultural interaction is English, being an international language, it has to be adopted since the tourists and labour force employed here is mostly from overseas.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
i have picked up a few rudimentary useful phrases...

هذا ليس الطريق المعتاد لدينا أكثر من نيويورك

"what a beautiful view"

خدمة عربة على هذه الرحلة أمر فظيع

"what a nice young man"
Hellcat12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by the bear)
i have picked up a few rudimentary useful phrases...

هذا ليس الطريق المعتاد لدينا أكثر من نيويورك

"what a beautiful view"

خدمة عربة على هذه الرحلة أمر فظيع

"what a nice young man"
You surely see the mistakes in this, no?
Dnator
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Ggmu!)
Closed minded westerner.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Weird, are Russia and China in the west? If you mean someone who would rather not have to go to the general hell-hole that is the arab league countries then perhaps.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
You surely see the mistakes in this, no?
:confused::confused:
Ggmu!
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago

No offence but you missed the sarcasm and thank you very much. No, you are wrong, I am an Arab and even in Dubai, Arabic is stressed upon. The medium of cultural interaction is English, being an international language, it has to be adopted since the tourists and labour force employed here is mostly from overseas.
I did miss the sarcasm, because it's an odd situation to be sarcastic in.

What exactly did I say that was wrong? That you aren't blessed? Or English is the most important language in the world?

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (104)
19.01%
The paper was reasonable (275)
50.27%
Not feeling great about that exam... (109)
19.93%
It was TERRIBLE (59)
10.79%

Watched Threads