Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

AQA A2 HISTORY: The Triumph of Elizabeth, 1547-1603 Offical Thread. 2nd June 2014. watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knighty437)
    Hey guys, I've still got Elizabeth's foreign policy and religious policy to revise. Which one do you think I should focus more on? France seems to be the popular bet on what will come up, so I'm wandering if that's best? HELP!!! I've done rebellions and government in her reign but not these two sections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You can do both in a day pretty easily as France is a lot shorter than Spain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hfn123)
    Could anyone clarify the Elizabeth-Anjou negotiations please? When did they start, 1569 or 1579 as I can't find any clear explanation? Also, was it with the same man, or did the Duke that Elizabeth had the first negotiations with become king, then the next set of negotiations was with the Duke on Alencon turned Anjou?

I'd be really grateful for any help, I find this so confusing!
    She was in marriage negotiation with Henry, duke of Anjou in 1569 (after the deterioration in relation between her and Philip over Hawkins attempts to trade in the new world). That failed, but then in 1579 she was in talks with Francis, duke of Alencon who later became the duke of Anjou. (After she learnt of Anjou plans of supporting the Dutch rebels, she keen to marry so that she could control French involvement in the Netherlands)

I hope that helped

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by embaker)
    how would everyone go about a question relating to how effectively Elizabeth dealt with the Puritans? think this would be much harder than a question on the threat of them
    Effectively:

1. Whitgift's drive to end Puritanism
    2. ES + most protestants moderate anyway so accepted it. Became more Calvinist as time progressed eg Lambeth articles 1595
    3. Separatists too extreme and govt dealt effectively eg Act against seditious sectaries 1593 - rounded up leaders
    4. Cecil controlled threat in parlt through men of business, challenge Neale thesis

Poorly:

- created opposition in the church
    -> vestiarian controversy
    -> prophesyings
    Therefore 'her rigidity created avoidable problems'. She was determined to stick to the settlement despite catholic penal legislation etc

- Puritan choir pushed her into Protestant policy she did not want therefore ineffective (Neale)

That's awfully formatted but just some ideas off the top of my head. If anyone can add to the poorly handled it'd be good as I got stuck, although there's enough there with the church and parlt.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knighty437)
    Hey guys, I've still got Elizabeth's foreign policy and religious policy to revise. Which one do you think I should focus more on? France seems to be the popular bet on what will come up, so I'm wandering if that's best? HELP!!! I've done rebellions and government in her reign but not these two sections.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Religious policy is not the bigger topic. You have her Settlement which is possibly the biggest thing, and then her attitude towards Catholics and Puritans as the reign progresses basically. You could throw in how the war with Spain sours her attitude to Catholics.

Foreign policy I just used the AQA book and I noted it all in an afternoon it shouldn't take you long
    Last year they asked a FP question specifically on the deterioration of Anglo-Spanish relations due to the Netherlands crisis in the 70s/80s, so there's every chance that area won't come up.
    France isn't a huge area to revise, but I have a feeling that that will be the synoptic question or at least one covering an extended period.

It could be a question on how far did Elizabeth achieve her foreign policy goals with France from 63 to 87 or something.

You have the Treaty of Cateau-Cambresis which achieved a nice deal with France regarding Calais, kept the peace for a bit and ended the war Mary's marriage to Phillip had got England dragged into.

Then the intervention in I think 63 which is not too big a topic at all, but this totally failed, we lost Calais for good and bags of money.

Mary Queen of Scots being kept alive was an incentive for the Catholic League in France (led by the Guise family, Mary's cousins) - after signing the Treaty of Joinville with Phillip - to invade with Spain and put Mary on the throne. As long as she was there, finding a legitimate Catholic replacement for Elizabeth would not have been a problem for potential invaders. It's arguable that her execution in 1587 after she was implicated in the Babington plot of the previous year removed a lot of desire to invade, at least from the Catholic League in France. We see this as there is no Catholic League involvement in the Armada of 1588 or from that point on.
    -This is connecting some pretty unsure dots to make a point but I think it stands; the presence of Mary Queen of Scots was affecting foreign relations and so in turn what to be done with her must be considered in a foreign context.

Then also subsequent attempts to create an ally through marriage to Anjou. Not just to create an ally against Spain with for instance the 'defensive league' people have suggested etc etc but also to have some control over him in the Netherlands. Before his expedition there totally failed Elizabeth felt there was a risk of him totally taking over the united provinces and this would have been as bad as Spain totally taking over there, so Elizabeth considered marriage to him once again.

It's a pretty followable area of history and there's obviously a lot more to it than that but idk thats some ideas i guess. I'm gonna be doing France today so I'll probably come back and edit this later when I find things that are wrong:L good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by farah_1)
    She was in marriage negotiation with Henry, duke of Anjou in 1569 (after the deterioration in relation between her and Philip over Hawkins attempts to trade in the new world). That failed, but then in 1579 she was in talks with Francis, duke of Alencon who later became the duke of Anjou. (After she learnt of Anjou plans of supporting the Dutch rebels, she keen to marry so that she could control French involvement in the Netherlands)

I hope that helped

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you! That's cleared things up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Effectively:

1. Whitgift's drive to end Puritanism
    2. ES + most protestants moderate anyway so accepted it. Became more Calvinist as time progressed eg Lambeth articles 1595
    3. Separatists too extreme and govt dealt effectively eg Act against seditious sectaries 1593 - rounded up leaders
    4. Cecil controlled threat in parlt through men of business, challenge Neale thesis

Poorly:

- created opposition in the church
    -> vestiarian controversy
    -> prophesyings
    Therefore 'her rigidity created avoidable problems'. She was determined to stick to the settlement despite catholic penal legislation etc

- Puritan choir pushed her into Protestant policy she did not want therefore ineffective (Neale)

That's awfully formatted but just some ideas off the top of my head. If anyone can add to the poorly handled it'd be good as I got stuck, although there's enough there with the church and parlt.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you so much! so do you think it would be fair to argue that people such as Whitgift, the council and the fact puritanism died out after the death of leaders such as John Field had more to do with why the threat of puritanism died rather than Elizabeth herself?

ReputationRep:
    Okay reading this thread makes me feel so nervous! XD I'm sorry for the potentially obvious question, but what actually is the difference between government and parliament in this context? Also in a essay question about government could you write about parliament and vice versa?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahCRJ)
    Okay reading this thread makes me feel so nervous! XD I'm sorry for the potentially obvious question, but what actually is the difference between government and parliament in this context? Also in a essay question about government could you write about parliament and vice versa?
    Parliament is a part of the government. The government as a noun is basically the collective term used for the Monarch, The Privy Council and Parliament

ReputationRep:
    government includes everything- privy council, parliament, jps, knights of the shire etc, whereas on a question on parliament just talk about parliament but it does link in with privy councillors

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by embaker)
    Thank you so much! so do you think it would be fair to argue that people such as Whitgift, the council and the fact puritanism died out after the death of leaders such as John Field had more to do with why the threat of puritanism died rather than Elizabeth herself?
    Yeah, good point! With that there should be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I really need help on making synoptic links. I have no clue whatsoever on how do these.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeyLord)
    Parliament is a part of the government. The government as a noun is basically the collective term used for the Monarch, The Privy Council and Parliament
    Thank you so much! I always got confused by that! And thank you too estock! so if asked about government, included parliament, but not the other way around?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Endless Blue)
    Yeah, good point! With that there should be enough.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ok thanks for all your help

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a lot of discussion about there potentially being a question on puritans, Presbyterians etc, so I was just wondering what you see as the stronger side? So if it was how much it a threat they were, personally I would say not much of a threat I think, although if it was how well Elizabeth dealt with them I guess you would have to say that they were a threat in order to say that she dealt with them effectively? I hope this makes sense haha what would you guys argue?

Also a lot of talk about France? what sort of question might they ask? Sorry for all the questions! Very nervous haha

ReputationRep:
    There seems to be a lot of discussion about there potentially being a question on puritans, Presbyterians etc, so I was just wondering what you see as the stronger side? So if it was how much it a threat they were, personally I would say not much of a threat I think, although if it was how well Elizabeth dealt with them I guess you would have to say that they were a threat in order to say that she dealt with them effectively? I hope this makes sense haha what would you guys argue?

Also a lot of talk about France? what sort of question might they ask? Sorry for all the questions! Very nervous haha
    Much like with Mary QOS, it's very much that they were considered a threat as opposed to actually really posing one.

The French one could be on how successful Foreign Pol was in relation to france from the start of her reign up to 87? that's my dream one hahaha

ReputationRep:
    Much like with Mary QOS, it's very much that they were considered a threat as opposed to actually really posing one.

The French one could be on how successful Foreign Pol was in relation to france from the start of her reign up to 87? that's my dream one hahaha
    What would you say for the French foreign pol one and what themes would you pick? Trying to plan it now.... not well at all

ReputationRep:
    What are key points on foreign trade and exploration? Except Hawkins, the bullion crisis and San Juan de Ulua? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Got a question for those aiming for the A*s, or at least band 5. For the structure, should I do it chronologically, and assess them as it goes on. Or should I do I split it up into two parts? - This is mainly in regards to questions that pose a threat etc.

ReputationRep:

Okay I think I understand haha just trying to figure out which side I would take!

And well fingers crossed for you! Sort of...haha because I wouldn't know where to start with that! why 87? I know you're supposed to mention the dates given, I can't think of an event/point etc for then?

ReputationRep:
    How are you structuring your paragraphs? i.e by topic/success and failure/chronology?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: June 7, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.