The Student Room Group

Fine Art Applicants and Universities 2014!!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by omifeeney
Thanks, yes it does help. Il have another go later this week when I'm not so grumpy about it :tongue:
Do you usually use resin to varnish your work?

I don't usually varnish my work, but someone on my course sometimes does, and uses resin. Some resin varnishes can be a bit yellow though, so I would look into it more!
Reply 301
When will we start hearing back from the Slade? Hopefully sometime this week, right?
Reply 302
Original post by Zoeah
I don't usually varnish my work, but someone on my course sometimes does, and uses resin. Some resin varnishes can be a bit yellow though, so I would look into it more!

Yeah the last time I was using it was at my old job and I remember it being really yellow-y, almost like beeswax. I'll look into it, thanks!
Original post by kasiapapi
When will we start hearing back from the Slade? Hopefully sometime this week, right?

We won't start hearing back until after they finish interviewing, which will be this Wednesday. So some might hear this week but they implied at the interview it would most likely be next week. The wait is so agonising! I can't stop thinking about it.
Reply 304
Original post by HelveticaBold
We won't start hearing back until after they finish interviewing, which will be this Wednesday. So some might hear this week but they implied at the interview it would most likely be next week. The wait is so agonising! I can't stop thinking about it.

Do you know how many people they interviewed? I've heard 160 people, and also 111 interviews, and I overheard one of the receptionists at the slade said 120... 160 would make more sense as 8 days of interviews (mon-fri one week and til weds this week) and 160 applicants would equal 20 a day, which is what I heard they were doing...

I'm not usually too bothered after interviews etc, but I keep re-playing what i said in my head and I am genuinely convinced I haven't got a place aghhh. Just want to know asap
Reply 305
Original post by Zoeah
Do you know how many people they interviewed? I've heard 160 people, and also 111 interviews, and I overheard one of the receptionists at the slade said 120... 160 would make more sense as 8 days of interviews (mon-fri one week and til weds this week) and 160 applicants would equal 20 a day, which is what I heard they were doing...

I'm not usually too bothered after interviews etc, but I keep re-playing what i said in my head and I am genuinely convinced I haven't got a place aghhh. Just want to know asap

I think it is probably unlikely that we will hear back this week but you never know. I honestly think I haven't got in either. 😭
Original post by Zoeah

Original post by AlPalm
I think it is probably unlikely that we will hear back this week but you never know. I honestly think I haven't got in either.

In the interview they told me it was 160, down from around 1600 applicants. I felt so positive about my interview until the end when they told me how well I'd done to get this far. Since then I've been re-playing the interview and finding all the places I feel I went wrong, haha. I still think my interview went well overall, but I'm also convinced I haven't got in. The other applicants work I saw was just so good!
Reply 307
Ugh I can so relate, my interview wasn't really like an interview at all because we ended up talking about cats (I have a lot of cat paintings) and the commitee were all cat lovers so we were like, "aw what's your kittys name?" "aw thats adorable" "mine does this, and mine does that bloody bloody blah blah"... Then we started talking about horse riding and such and how I could bring my horse to the Slade and he can live in one of the studios, I'll make a grass floor installation called 'horse in it's natural habitat".Having a laugh through the entire talk was really pleasant but I kinda feel like we haven't discussed my art well enough -.- so yeah, probably won't get in, or get an alternative offer from UCL animal psychology or so.
(edited 10 years ago)
Ugh I can so relate, my interview wasn't really like an interview at all because we ended up talking about cats (I have a lot of cat paintings) and the commitee were all cat lovers so we were like, "aw what's your kittys name?" "aw thats adorable" "mine does this, and mine does that bloody bloody blah blah"... Then we started talking about horse riding and such and how I could bring my horse to the Slade and he can live in one of the studios, I'll make a grass floor installation called 'horse in it's natural habitat".Having a laugh through the entire talk was really pleasant but I kinda feel like we haven't discussed my art well enough -.- so yeah, probably won't get in, or get an alternative offer from UCL animal psychology or so.

Hopefully that means you'll have made an impression on them though. I'd have thought they would have brought the interview back to your work if they felt they needed more, but maybe they got carried away. It's just so hard to call.
Have you uploaded your art online anywhere? I'd love to see your cat paintings. :smile:
Reply 309
Hopefully that means you'll have made an impression on them though. I'd have thought they would have brought the interview back to your work if they felt they needed more, but maybe they got carried away. It's just so hard to call.
Have you uploaded your art online anywhere? I'd love to see your cat paintings. :smile:

No not really haven't updated my website in a while, but I can send you a direct link to two kittycats on PM :smile:

Yeah we'll see, not much point in overthinking this now - but still I can't stop doing this haha.
I'm having a Wimbledon interview in 2 days via skype... This will be interesting!
No not really haven't updated my website in a while, but I can send you a direct link to two kittycats on PM :smile:

Yeah we'll see, not much point in overthinking this now - but still I can't stop doing this haha.
I'm having a Wimbledon interview in 2 days via skype... This will be interesting!

Thanks, I do love kittycats. :smile: People keep telling me that worrying wont help and there's nothing you can do now - but tell that to my nerves, haha.
Good luck with your Wimbledon interview.
Just had a ucas update and almost freaked out. I was convinced that somehow it was a rejection from Slade, haha. Just my offer from Brighton officially coming through. Phew! Unconditional, yay. :smile:
Reply 312
Had my interview at Brighton yesterday and today they offered me a place, can't explain how happy I am!!
Reply 313
Just had a ucas update and almost freaked out. I was convinced that somehow it was a rejection from Slade, haha. Just my offer from Brighton officially coming through. Phew! Unconditional, yay. :smile:

Original post by Ellie_96
Had my interview at Brighton yesterday and today they offered me a place, can't explain how happy I am!! ������

Congrats to both of you!!!

Just had my skype Wimbledon interview, 10mins only... NOT ENOUGH GRRRRRRR
Reply 314
Congrats to both of you!!!

Just had my skype Wimbledon interview, 10mins only... NOT ENOUGH GRRRRRRR

Thank you! Wow a Skype interview!? I had my interview at wimbledon about a month ago and think it was only about 10 mins, not long at all! But got offered a place so hopefully you will to :biggrin:
Reply 315
Quick question to everyone, I've applied to Brighton, Newcastle, Wimbledon and Westminster been offered places at Brighton, Wimbledon and Westminster (fine art painting courses) however westminster is definitely off the table for me as it just didn't really feel right for me and have heard it's not as good as the others..not sure if this is true? But I have no idea if I'd choose Brighton or Wimbledon? They are both such brilliant unis for fine art painting and really liked them both, does anyone have opinions or info on these that may help me make a decision? Also haven't heard that many people apply to Newcastle for fine art but have heard its also an amazing uni for this course- anyone here thats applied to newcastle?
Reply 316
Yeah skype, as I'm not from the UK. I actually travelled to London last week for my Slade interview but Wimbledon couldn't offer me an interview during my stay. That's so convenient ! Do you have an online portfolio? Would love to see your works :3
Reply 317
Original post by Ellie_96
Quick question to everyone, I've applied to Brighton, Newcastle, Wimbledon and Westminster been offered places at Brighton, Wimbledon and Westminster (fine art painting courses) however westminster is definitely off the table for me as it just didn't really feel right for me and have heard it's not as good as the others..not sure if this is true? But I have no idea if I'd choose Brighton or Wimbledon? They are both such brilliant unis for fine art painting and really liked them both, does anyone have opinions or info on these that may help me make a decision? Also haven't heard that many people apply to Newcastle for fine art but have heard its also an amazing uni for this course- anyone here thats applied to newcastle?

Same, I've applied to Newcastle and have sent my digital portfolio at the beginning of February. However I haven't heard back from them about the shortlist interview till now, not even a rejection and so I sent an email to ask, but they are not answering....
Reply 318
In the interview they told me it was 160, down from around 1600 applicants. I felt so positive about my interview until the end when they told me how well I'd done to get this far. Since then I've been re-playing the interview and finding all the places I feel I went wrong, haha. I still think my interview went well overall, but I'm also convinced I haven't got in. The other applicants work I saw was just so good!

They also told me the same kind of stuffs as you and I think they probably just told everyone about that. Don't be so worry. I thought my interview at Kent has gone all terribly wrong. I couldn't even answer simple questions like artist names or photographers etc. that the head of fine art have asked. But I got an offer two days ago which I thought it's insane and I couldn't believe it. So...nothing is impossible.
Reply 319
Hello! :smile: Has anyone applied to Lancaster university?

Quick Reply

Latest