Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ask a Muslim who is questioning his faith anything Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TSA)
    No, I still think if there was a God surely he should have made my path at least easy to some extent or not. The only reasonable explanation I can think of, is either he does not exist or he hates me for some reason.
    I thought Muslims believed life was a test? Whether or not this is just an escape hatch for when bad **** happens is debatable, but surely bad **** happening doesn't falsify Islam?

ReputationRep:
    Can God create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr Stacey)
    Can God create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?
    God is able to do anything He wills.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by muj121)
    God is able to do anything He wills.
    So he is able to create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?

(Original post by TSA)
      I did. Can I ask, can you read arabic?

In my experience south asian muslims, especially every single one that I know are taught to read arabic with no understanding of what it says.
      Ok
      Oh yea I can read it, I learnt it in Amsterdam as a child :rolleyes: I dont like it like that though, I've told my mother I wanna know what I'm reading but she shrugs it off :dontknow: therefore I look up the meaning myself

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
      So he is able to create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?
      He does whatever He wills and whatever befits His majesty.

ReputationRep:
      He does whatever He wills and whatever befits His majesty.
      How about you answer the question properly, without ignoring the obvious logical contradiction of an omnipotent God.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Sapient)
      How about you answer the question properly, without ignoring the obvious logical contradiction of an omnipotent God.
      He does whatever He wills. I'm not going to waste my time getting into useless philosophical arguments. He is not asked about what He does, rather you will be asked about what you have done in this life.

ReputationRep:
      He does whatever He wills. I'm not going to waste my time getting into useless philosophical arguments. He is not asked about what He does, rather you will be asked about what you have done in this life.
      Surely he already knows what I've done, after all, he is omniscient.

Not to mention omnibenevolent and omnipotent, and immutable to boot.

Maybe you should take your time to research the problem of evil, maybe that'll interest you, though I doubt it will as typically the mind of a theist is impenetrable to logic that conflicts with faith.

Nevermind, one of us will be right in the end, if it's you, so be it. I will choose to deny such a spiteful, malicious and pompous creator as my Lord regardless.

ReputationRep:
      'He does whatever he wills.'

So if God wills it; God can create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?

ReputationRep:

So if God wills it; God can create a stone so heavy that he himself cannot lift?
      I believe that God could destroy himself. He has a Will and He has wisdom.

I don't see how that's a good question to ask :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
      Leaving Islam will be the best decision of your life.

ReputationRep:
      All the prophets went trough tests. Ibrahim (AS) went to slaughter his own son. What is money? you have it for one day and it's gone another day. Islam will be with you forever. I know people who use to make 80k a year but after they entered Islam worked for minimum wage and he's happier then before. He quit cuz the money was Haram

Sorry for the bump but had to say that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ronmack)
      All the prophets went trough tests. Ibrahim (AS) went to slaughter his own son. What is money? you have it for one day and it's gone another day. Islam will be with you forever. I know people who use to make 80k a year but after they entered Islam worked for minimum wage and he's happier then before. He quit cuz the money was Haram

Sorry for the bump but had to say that.
      Ask a starving child, with no food or home. What is money. And you'll get your answer.

ReputationRep:

"Can a mortal ask questions which God finds unanswerable? Quite easily, I should think. All nonsense questions are unanswerable." -- C.S. Lewis, A Grief Observed

That said, part of God's omnipotence is the power to commit Himself to a set course of action. His omnipotence doesn't mean that He is capable of doing anything at any one time, just that He is initially able to do all things - fo example, He could create the Earth or not, but once He chose to create the Earth, the Earth is created, end of, so in His sovereignty, He has eliminated the possibility of "Not creating Earth". There's a whole bevy of things God "can't" do - not because he's not omnipotent, but because in His omnipotency He eliminated those options (from a Christian standpoint, for example, the option to lie, to not create the Earth, to not offer salvation through Christ, etc etc).

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by TSA)
      Ask a starving child, with no food or home. What is money. And you'll get your answer.
      Islam is the only religion that could end that.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by arfah)
      Cheer up mate, you're so negative:dontknow:

Posted from TSR Mobile
      You call it negative, I call it realistic.

Islam is the only religion that could end that.
      Really. The religion that spends millions of pounds building mosques that don't even get filled? The mosque in my town spent a million plus building it. There is another 4 within walking distance of the mosque, on a normal day this million pound mosque fills 1.5 rows if its lucky. Is that or is that not wasting money? They demolished the old mosque that use to stand there which was more than enough for the job, so unnecessarily tore down a mosque and built a new one in the process wasted £1 million+. That million pound could have changed the lives of so many people. This is not an isolated case, someone pm'd me telling me a similar thing happened in his town.

(Original post by TSA)

Really. The religion that spends millions of pounds building mosques that don't even get filled? The mosque in my town spent a million plus building it. There is another 4 within walking distance of the mosque, on a normal day this million pound mosque fills 1.5 rows if its lucky. Is that or is that not wasting money? They demolished the old mosque that use to stand there which was more than enough for the job, so unnecessarily tore down a mosque and built a new one in the process wasted £1 million+. That million pound could have changed the lives of so many people. This is not an isolated case, someone pm'd me telling me a similar thing happened in his town.
        I still want you to cheer up, you should do whatever makes you happy maybe leaving Islam is better for you atm, and who knows maybe later on things will get better

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by TSA)

tbh running masjids nowadays has become a business. A masjid near my house was build for 6 million but the masjid gets more than half full every time of the year. The one thing I don't understand why worry about others? We need to worry about ourselves how good are we ourselves.

ReputationRep:
        tbh running masjids nowadays has become a business. A masjid near my house was build for 6 million but the masjid gets more than half full every time of the year. The one thing I don't understand why worry about others? We need to worry about ourselves how good are we ourselves.
        So we need to be selfish?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
      Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
      Useful resources
      AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
    • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
      Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.