Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How many of the 64 films in TSR's Movie Madness Comp have you seen? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Motorbiker)
    You're in equal second place! :woo:

If someone wanted to skim the whole thread and find the top 5 i'll edit it into the OP but as of right now i cba...

You should check out Mary and Max, i've heard very good things about it form the few that have watched it.

2001 is unwatchable? :O I loved it. But i'm a giant nerd. It is a bit slow paced though and does tend to drag...

I'll add it to my list.

Yeah, I couldn't stand it (and I'm a giant nerd). Once upon a time in the west is also quite slow paced but is probably my favourite film, the problem with 2001, is that it's not just slow paced, nothing really happens. I really don't understand what people see in it.

My picks from the sections would be (in case anyone is interested):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Group A (Drama):
    12 Angry Men

Group B (Comedy, Family & Romance):
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Casablanca (such different films, shouldn't really be in the same section!)

Group C (Wartime & Western):
    Once Upon a Time in the West (by far)

Group D (Fantasy & SF):
    None particularly stand out. They're all good films (except 2001), but nothing outstanding.

Group E (Horror, Mystery & Thriller):
    The Usual Suspects

Group F (Action & Adventure)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Group G (Crime):
    Leon: The Professional

Group H(Animation)*:
    Monsters, Inc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hampster)

I'll add it to my list.

Yeah, I couldn't stand it (and I'm a giant nerd). Once upon a time in the west is also quite slow paced but is probably my favourite film, the problem with 2001, is that it's not just slow paced, nothing really happens. I really don't understand what people see in it.

My picks from the sections would be (in case anyone is interested):
    Spoiler:
    Show

Group A (Drama):
    12 Angry Men

Group B (Comedy, Family & Romance):
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail or Casablanca (such different films, shouldn't really be in the same section!)

Group C (Wartime & Western):
    Once Upon a Time in the West (by far)

Group D (Fantasy & SF):
    None particularly stand out. They're all good films (except 2001), but nothing outstanding.

Group E (Horror, Mystery & Thriller):
    The Usual Suspects

Group F (Action & Adventure)
    Raiders of the Lost Ark

Group G (Crime):

Group H(Animation)*:
    Monsters, Inc.
    Your group A and B picks are both already knocked out in the first round and monsters Inc is losing badly in first round to lion king.

You joined in the voting?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    10 all the way through (avengers, godfather, finding nemo, toy story, lion king, 2001, holy grail, back to the future, inception, braveheart), I've started but never been able to finish LoTR (only redeemed by Christopher Lee), Star Wars (unfortunately the only with Lee in it has him alongside Heyden Christensen and an assortment of rubbish), Saving Private Ryan or Forrest Gump (one of the most over-rated films of all time, most certainly the least funny "comedy" ever).

tbh, there's not many on this list I'd want to see - I don't trust Nolan with superhero films (Man of Steel was just god awful), and I'm more of a Marvel than DC person anyway, not a fan of the Steven King books I've read, not an animation person - and half of them I've never heard of (what on earth is American History X or Paths of Glory.

I think of the ones I've not watched, only Goodfellas is one I want to.

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen "Mary and Max". I didn't expect that AT ALL. I was not expecting a stop-animation film to make me feel that way. It was wonderful and out of the norm. I'm glad I decided to see it.

62/64

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoicInAfrica)
    I've just seen "Mary and Max". I didn't expect that AT ALL. I was not expecting a stop-animation film to make me feel that way. It was wonderful and out of the norm. I'm glad I decided to see it.

62/64
    Better than toy story 3? Voted and commented over there yet?

I may check it out soon. Try and get to the full 64 seen by end of the year.

Only two left for you.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Winner so far, not tempted to go watch Avengers to get the full 64?
    Now 64/64. Ghod that would have been a waste of 2h23m if I hadn't been doing something else at the same time. The effects are fine, but they forgot to have good acting and a good script.

How many total films have you seen? What's your count on the IMDB top 250 and the Schneider 1001?
    Perhaps somewhat foolishly, I have never kept a count.

The latter is up to about 1154, I see, if you count everything that's been in it. Gosh there are some stinkers in it and some appalling omissions. It'd take longer than I have spare to actually do a count, but it's certainly 'most'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unprinted)
    Now 64/64. Ghod that would have been a waste of 2h23m if I hadn't been doing something else at the same time. The effects are fine, but they forgot to have good acting and a good script.

The latter is up to about 1154, I see, if you count everything that's been in it. Gosh there are some stinkers in it and some appalling omissions. It'd take longer than I have spare to actually do a count, but it's certainly 'most'.
    So you agree on it being eliminated quickly then?

If you get bored soon of arguing in the voting threads then check out the IMDB top 250 list and see how many you've seen.

ReputationRep:
    I'd seen 16 when I first heard of this contest. Up to 19 now. Saturday I saw The Usual Suspects and Raiders of the Lost Ark, just finished Alien.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukip72)
    I'd seen 16 when I first heard of this contest. Up to 19 now. Saturday I saw The Usual Suspects and Raiders of the Lost Ark, just finished Alien.
    Raiders of the lost Ark is up against Aliens so if you watch that tomorrow you can go argue over which is better.

ReputationRep:
    Raiders of the lost Ark is up against Aliens so if you watch that tomorrow you can go argue over which is better.
    I'm guessing Aliens. Can't say I liked Raiders of The Lost Ark TBH. Must be something wrong with me, the only Spielberg film I really love is Jaws.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenhasdreams)
    I've seen 53!
    These are the 11 I've still to watch:
    Sunset Boulevard
    Casablanca
    The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
    Paths of Glory
    Once Upon a Time in the West
    Rear Window
    North by Northwest
    Braveheart
    Goodfellas
    How to Train Your Dragon
    Mary and Max
    Now seen 55 - Casablanca and Once Upon a Time in the West done. I really really enjoyed the latter. I've seen a couple of westerns and hated them and they really didn't seem like my thing at all, but this was such a good story regardless of being a western. The music and sound effects really made this movie, made it really tense, and it was so clever how much of the story was told with just facial expressions and little dialogue. It was so gripping right from the beginning. Solid 9 - and looking forward to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly now.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    So you agree on it being eliminated quickly then?
    The other new-to-me film I saw this weekend was also released in 2012 (outside Indonesia, anyway) The Raid, AKA The Raid: Redemption.

It had 1/200th the budget - $1.1m vs $220m - and is about two hundred times better.

Avengers has lots of fights, but most of them are CGI, most of the rest are wire work, and only one is interesting (the start of the chair fight is nicely choreographed). Worse, none of them matter because we know the outcome. There are over a thousand people listed in the credits for doing CGI-related stuff.

Raid has lots of fights, none of them are CGI and they didn't use wire work either. Some of the fight choreography is jaw-droppingly good. We know the hero will probably survive, but because it's not a franchise, it's not a certainty and everyone else is in danger (and not many of the cast make it to the end). I was not surprised to see that there were nine doctors (plus five paramedics and four masseurs) in the credits.

If you like action films, see the original - the American remake will be worse as well as pointless.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:

Looking through the list and deleting ones I know I have seen comes up with 667 seen, 487 probably not.

Without looking at the book and seeing an image or two / the plot summary, I'm going to have missed some I have seen, mostly from the foreign language ones.

Some of that list are only in there so you can see how bad cinema can be. I like the unforgettable Pink Flamingos, but lots of people would put it into that category, for example. I would say that The Killing of a Chinese Bookie is 'rolling on the floor, biting the carpet' bad, but some people like it.

Funniest misprint in an online version of the list: The Battle of Narayama [Narayama Bushi-ko] (1983). It's The Ballad of.., and a rare example of a very superior remake.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jenhasdreams)
    Now seen 55 - Casablanca and Once Upon a Time in the West done. I really really enjoyed the latter. I've seen a couple of westerns and hated them and they really didn't seem like my thing at all, but this was such a good story regardless of being a western. The music and sound effects really made this movie, made it really tense, and it was so clever how much of the story was told with just facial expressions and little dialogue. It was so gripping right from the beginning. Solid 9 - and looking forward to watching The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly now.
    Braveheart seems a really common film for you to have not seen! :eek:

I'd recomend How to train your dragon soon if you're into Animation. It's pretty good. good enough to get a sequel out fairly quickly. Depends what you can find in CEx though i suppose.

The other new-to-me film I saw this weekend was also released in 2012 (outside Indonesia, anyway) The Raid, AKA The Raid: Redemption.

It had 1/200th the budget - $1.1m vs $220m - and is about two hundred times better.

Avengers has lots of fights, but most of them are CGI, most of the rest are wire work, and only one is interesting (the start of the chair fight is nicely choreographed). Worse, none of them matter because we know the outcome. There are over a thousand people listed in the credits for doing CGI-related stuff.

Raid has lots of fights, none of them are CGI and they didn't use wire work either. Some of the fight choreography is jaw-droppingly good. We know the hero will probably survive, but because it's not a franchise, it's not a certainty and everyone else is in danger (and not many of the cast make it to the end). I was not surprised to see that there were nine doctors (plus five paramedics and four masseurs) in the credits.

If you like action films, see the original - the American remake will be worse as well as pointless.
    Nice comparison!

I really feel the need to check out the Raid since everyone seems to be talking about it lately and i have never seen it.

ReputationRep:
    The ones I haven't seen are:

American History X
    Sunset Boulevard
    Dr. Strangelove
    Paths of Glory
    The Pianist
    Blade Runner
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Taxi Driver
    Goodfellas
    A Clockwork Orange
    How to Train Your Dragon

So I've seen 52 of them.

I have an older brother who is a film buff, and who actually now works in film, so slowly but surely I'm working my way through the long list of "must see" films he has given me. That's why I've seen a lot of the 64.

ReputationRep:
    I've now seen every movie on this list.

Leon: The Professional was absolutely amazing and I'm shocked that I hadn't seen it before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LoicInAfrica)
    I've now seen every movie on this list.

Leon: The Professional was absolutely amazing and I'm shocked that I hadn't seen it before.

How would you rank your top 10?

Or what would you put as your top one in each group and how is it lining up with the popular TSR opinion?

ReputationRep:
    26/64

ReputationRep:

Shocked by the amount of people that haven't seen goodfellas either. Best crime film ever

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.