Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fat_hobbit)
    either way your degree was a prerequisient.

He has spent a **** load already on his university education, and committed 3 years of his life. He shouldn't have to do this , as it just makes it seem like his original degree was a waste of time and money.

Your way of thinking is not practical, and absurd.
    My degree was a waste of money and no it wasn't an important factor on my job app. They were more interested in past employment and sales stats. I was asked about A-Levels though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SloaneRanger)
    My degree was a waste of money and no it wasn't an important factor on my job app. They were more interested in past employment and sales stats.
    No but it's an academic requirement.

When I look at IT jobs, a lot stipulate that you have a 2.1 degree in CS.

ReputationRep:
    My degree was a waste of money and no it wasn't an important factor on my job app. They were more interested in past employment and sales stats.

IT's also a catch 22, without a good degree it is very hard to get a professional job in industry. So cannot rack up the experience to apply as an experienced hire.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and part of the reason why they won't change is because people like you so blindly accept it and support it.

Maybe this is the type of person corporates want, robots.

i bet if you lived in nazi germany, you would turn a blind eye to jews being killed in the gas chambers. Same mentality.
    People earn the right to do things, ive retake A-levels and GCSEs at 25. If you want something or the opportunity to do something you just do it. Even if i didn't get in, i would have been proud for just trying. Why don't you retake A-Levels, there are no guarantees in life, just death and tax,lol.

ReputationRep:

IT's also a catch 22, without a good degree it is very hard to get a professional job in industry. So cannot rack up the experience to apply as an experienced hire.
    Academic requirement, rather than hating the system just do what is asked of you, if they want ABB, give them it. Give yourself the opportunity, just a chance, its worth it. The feeling of achievement..

ReputationRep:
    People earn the right to do things, ive retake A-levels and GCSEs at 25. If you want something or the opportunity to do something you just do it. Even if i didn't get in, i would have been proud for just trying. Why don't you retake A-Levels, there are no guarantees in life, just death and tax,lol.
    There comes a point where you need to draw the line.

Degree at 2.1 - ok fair play.

But along with ALs, some are asking for specific GCSE marks - what next primary school marks, nursery/pre-school marks and an IQ test to top it off at first attempt.

If you can't see the stupidity of it all, then I don't know what else I can say.

ReputationRep:
    Academic requirement, rather than hating the system just do what is asked of you, if they want ABB, give them it. Give yourself the opportunity, just a chance, its worth it. The feeling of achievement..
    It's exactly this attitude why there won't be change.

If they can get away with setting new absurd policies, why bother changing it?

Even if I had the perfect marks, I would still think this is a terrible unfair system, not defend it like you are.

ReputationRep:
    It's exactly this attitude why there won't be change.

If they can get away with setting new absurd policies, why bother changing it?

Even if I had the perfect marks, I would still think this is a terrible unfair system, not defend it like you are.
    Im not defending it, some people however hard they try, will never get great grades. They just don't have the ability, but their are those who will after retakes. Why hates them, why not do it, if you want to work for one of these companies. You have a lot of hate.

ReputationRep:
    Im not defending it, some people however hard they try, will never get great grades. They just don't have the ability, but their are those who will after retakes. Why hates them, why not do it, if you want to work for one of these companies. You have a lot of hate.
    If you can , why can't others?

It is not impossible.

There are so many people who go onto do a masters at a top uni following a 2.1 from a lesser one as an example.

The point is, I believe in giving people second chances, the way the system that corporates use for recruitment doesn't.

It's elitist.

ReputationRep:
    If you can , why can't others?

It is not impossible.

There are so many people who go onto do a masters at a top uni following a 2.1 from a lesser one as an example.

The point is, I believe in giving people second chances, the way the system that corporates use for recruitment doesn't.

It's elitist.
    Statistically speaking the best workers are those who get the best A-levels and go to the best unis, that is why they do it. If your a company you want to hire what they percieve is the best, yes it is subjective. Your working for a family business is that right? Your uncle won't hire me? That is prejudice, its down the decision makers who they want to employ. They have every right to do so. After all its their profits and money you are affecting. If you can have Messi why not take him rather than a random non league player.

Again you haven't answered why not retake your own A-Levels instead of hating the world.

ReputationRep:
    Statistically speaking the best workers are those who get the best A-levels and go to the best units

You are not even top 5% intelligence minus resits. The fact that you took re-sits means you are not consistent either

So your point is not valid, because you are able to do your job at BA without affecting their income negatively.

And for the role you do, you don't need to have the intelligence of an academic. See point above. But yes, I agree they are in a position to pick and choose - that is the problem. At the same time, I feel they can make the recruitment process a lot more fairer if they tried.

Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about graduates in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a10)
    You do know that grade offers increase due to popularity of the course and do not represent the course difficulty in any way...

For example look at the 2004-2006 prospectus for UCL, chemical engineering requirements where CCC...

Now that the course has gotten way too popular amongst different people and that they receive more applications than places available each year they simply bumped up the grades to keep up with competition from other universities..
    Can you give me a link to that prospectus?

ReputationRep:
    Do you guys follow each other around or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pipsico)
    Do you guys follow each other around or something?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Pretty much.

ReputationRep:
    You are not even top 5% intelligence minus resits. The fact that you took re-sits means you are not consistent either

So your point is not valid, because you are able to do your job at BA without affecting their income negatively.

And for the role you do, you don't need to have the intelligence of an academic. See point above. But yes, I agree they are in a position to pick and choose - that is the problem. At the same time, I feel they can make the recruitment process a lot more fairer if they tried.

Anyway, this isn't about me, it's about graduates in general.
    I don't need to consider myself intelligent, i just like to see the nice university and nice grades and the bankroll. Couldn't care what the world thinks. Sales is the most intellectually demands job, the psychology behind it, you would know if you had the theory and methodology of a structured training program. Its different having Mr Khan teaching you, compared to a Jordan Belfort, schools apart. It involves so much academic ability to work out a profitable solution. Solution based selling, you have to create a need and solution. Personally i would hit my trainer for not telling me these things. Like with IT, Working out the concept of grey marketing, source goods from various channels across europe finding things for clients then over charging them it involves a lot of aplitude. Working out and sourcing costs then ordering it, bartering over price, making contracts. Its not like oh uncle lets to PC World. Making money with value add, charging a client 5 percent 1st year, 10nd year and so on. Fractions vary but principles are there, people do a degree in management at big universities. Thats the stuff they teach you through training programs on the job. I get a few days a week every month to be "schooled". This is how I know you have never worked in a structured place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    It was never CCC, UCL lowest use to be BBB.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juichiro)
    I don't think there's online link but if you can find the hard copy you can check it. Someone had an actual hard copy of it on here n told me a while back

ReputationRep:
    Now you just don't know what employers want most students now have voluntary work, work experience and a 2:1 but even that isn't enough I know many people with firsts and 2:1s who are struggling I feel very nervous and worried when I graduate in a few years time

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much.
    If you guys were ever a married couple, I don't think you'd ever get anything done. Just squibble all day and night 😉

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It was never CCC, UCL lowest use to be BBB.
    Any link to that prospectus?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.