OCR Physics A G485 - Frontiers of Physics - 18th June 2015 Watch

Tiwa
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Cheers buddy. Hope adjustment works out!
Thank you!
Tom102
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tiwa)
Yep! I firmed Teessdide University for Chemical Engineering Meng for 4 years. Hoping to go for adjustment on results day though. What about you?
Good luck with adjustment, off to UCL here (hopefully)!
Tiwa
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tom102)
Thank you! Hope you make it to UCL!
sagar448
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Tom102)
Ahh nice, my firm is Cambridge but my insurance is UCL, what course are you going for in UCL?
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I hope there isn't a really general MRI question, there's so much to talk about!

Does anyone know if we shoud say 'high energy state' or 'anti-parallel alignment' when referring to the protons adsorbing radio photons, or will either suffice?
Hilton184
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
I hope there isn't a really general MRI question, there's so much to talk about!

Does anyone know if we shoud say 'high energy state' or 'anti-parallel alignment' when referring to the protons adsorbing radio photons, or will either suffice?
From what I've seen, high energy state is the one to go for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Hilton184)
From what I've seen, high energy state is the one to go for.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Appreciated. I wonder if we're even required to know about the protons' alignment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
L'Evil Fish
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Elcor)
Appreciated. I wonder if we're even required to know about the protons' alignment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Seeing as I've no clue what that is and never been taught it, I should hope not
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by L'Evil Fish)
Seeing as I've no clue what that is and never been taught it, I should hope not
You might have to know that the protons align with the magnetic field and precess about the field lines at the Larmor frequency
sagar448
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The G484 forum isn't so active so I going to post a G484 question here. So does anyone know if Kepler's third law, the T^2 = blah blah what ever, should only be used for geostationary? Or can it be used for anything? I don't know when to use it :C
randlemcmurphy
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by sagar448)
The G484 forum isn't so active so I going to post a G484 question here. So does anyone know if Kepler's third law, the T^2 = blah blah what ever, should only be used for geostationary? Or can it be used for anything? I don't know when to use it :C
Considering Kepler's Laws were known before that of Arthur Clarke's geostationary orbit idea, I assume it can be used for anything, whenever appropriate of course.
sagar448
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by randlemcmurphy)
Considering Kepler's Laws were known before that of Arthur Clarke's geostationary orbit idea, I assume it can be used for anything, whenever appropriate of course.
But then why sometimes in the mark scheme when you can use the kepler's law they show that you needed to combine equation for centripetal motion and use those to work out the orbit rather than the geostationary equation? I mean it does not say anywhere in the question that it is not geostationary or it is...
Elcor
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Use it for literally any orbit

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absent Agent
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just as randlemcmurphy said, it can be used to calculate the period or the distance from the planet to the moon of any moon orbiting a planet

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But then why sometimes in the mark scheme when you can use the kepler's law they show that you needed to combine equation for centripetal motion and use those to work out the orbit rather than the geostationary equation? I mean it does not say anywhere in the question that it is not geostationary or it is...
Yeah the equation doesn't apply for objects in circular motion when the weight of the object is not considered

Posted from TSR Mobile
sagar448
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
Yeah the equation doesn't apply for objects in circular motion when the weight of the object is not considered

Posted from TSR Mobile
But orbits are circular motion....... :/
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
That's correct but the centripetal force keeping planets in their orbits is their weight which is the gravitational force, that is GMm/r2. But in simple circular motions as in rotating an object in a horizontal plane with a string the centripetal force is no longer the weight of the object but simply mv2/r

Posted from TSR Mobile
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If you still don't get it let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
sagar448
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Mehrdad jafari)
If you still don't get it let me know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Oh yes! I got it thank you. So basically you can use the Kepler's equation when orbits with weights are involved. So most of the time. Thanks.
Absent Agent
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oh yes! I got it thank you. So basically you can use the Kepler's equation when orbits with weights are involved. So most of the time. Thanks.
Im glad you got it
Yeah that's it. Because in each case the proportionality of T is different
Name:  ImageUploadedByStudent Room1432393928.847383.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  140.0 KB

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (512)
37.67%
No - but I will (106)
7.8%
No - I don't want to (93)
6.84%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (648)
47.68%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise