HM treasury Policy Advisor Grad Scheme Watch

Merah
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by katiem88)
Is there anyone else confirmed for April yet (other than threebackedbeast and myself) ? I hope nobody has to wait too much longer to hear!
Realise I should have directly to this. I am starting April too, looking forward to meeting everyone!
katiem88
Badges: 1
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Merah)
Realise I should have directly to this. I am starting April too, looking forward to meeting everyone!
Yay, well done! (Sorry for delay, been overseas )
KP40186
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi!

Those of you starting in September, do you know which date you are starting on?

How long did it take you to get through vetting and references?

Thanks!

KP
Styxup
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
@page { margin: 2cm } p { margin-bottom: 0.25cm; line-height: 120% } I'm starting inSeptember. I don't know the start date yet, though. Security vettingtook ages, but that was mostly held up by my current Departmentforgetting to send them a reference. I'm picking up my building passnext week and then it's a matter of waiting.
ice_cube
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Coming late to the party... I worked at HMT for several years (left civil service recently) and happy to answer any questions
Wednesday17th
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ice_cube)
Coming late to the party... I worked at HMT for several years (left civil service recently) and happy to answer any questions

The question we all have...is it going to be as difficult and as much of a work-load as we're all expecting? :P
ice_cube
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wednesday17th)
The question we all have...is it going to be as difficult and as much of a work-load as we're all expecting? :P
So it depends... I did a policy job and a press office job. One was definitely more work than the other.

It depends on which area you are in and the time of year. For example, if you are in a tax team that is impacted by the budget, those will be your pressure points. If you are in a bill team then that will be more likely to ebb and flow depending on the time. I was in financial services as a policy advisor, and how much work I had didn't tend to vary as widely. In press office, it was generally significantly longer hours, and not easy to predict, but also hugely dependent on my minister. When she was in Westminster I could be summoned at any point and my day was based more around her - if your minister does 5 hours of interviews, so do you (and somehow everything else gets fitted in too). However I think its true for the vast majority of teams that things let up a bit during recess when ministers aren't making as many decisions.

Big events also affect your workload eg budgets, Scottish/EU referendum/substantive bills.

Having said that, I had a manager that 95% of the time left at 5.30 on the dot. He was exceptionally efficient and not distracted by the Daily Mail. There has definitely been a shift in the last few years to having a better work life balance, and to ensure that people take flexi time.

However, it was the most exciting place I've ever worked, and I loved the high pressured huge work times - because you are working on high profile things, it definitely feels worth it to put in the hours.

As for how difficult it is... I struggled not being an economist. A lot of the first year passed in a blur. But most people don't seem to struggle like I did in that respect!
Wednesday17th
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ice_cube)
So it depends... I did a policy job and a press office job. One was definitely more work than the other....
Thanks - incredibly excited and rather nervous, but should be a blast ha
ice_cube
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Wednesday17th)
Thanks - incredibly excited and rather nervous, but should be a blast ha
If you have any more detailed questions (about people/teams etc) feel free to PM me.
Happilyme
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are there any people who are applying for next year?

To the people who were successful, how are you finding the programme so far?
Shannonmould
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Happilyme)
Are there any people who are applying for next year?

To the people who were successful, how are you finding the programme so far?
Hi ive applied this year, done the first application form, apparently we hear about next stages on the 21st of november (or week commencing)! didnt know if there was an exsisting thread for the 2017 intake...?
iramac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I can't find the application form could anybody help me?
iramac
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Slowbro93)
Applications opened today :gah:

http://www.hmtreasurycareers.com/apply

Just completed my application, anyone else applying?
Could you help me find the application form on this site? I have been having difficulties finding it..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (264)
39.05%
No - but I will (46)
6.8%
No - I don't want to (51)
7.54%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (315)
46.6%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed