The Commons Bar Mk IX - MHoC Chat Thread Watch

This discussion is closed.
Saoirse:3
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
No. It shows I need to explain FPTP to him.

Posted from TSR Mobile

(Original post by DaveSmith99)

The state of the press in this country :facepalm:
Good grief Despite the fact the polls actually show Miliband as performing equally to Cameron which to be honest is something achievement from his starting point!
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
Good grief Despite the fact the polls actually show Miliband as performing equally to Cameron which to be honest is something achievement from his starting point!
I guess that's what Labour spent their war pot on, trying to deal with Miliband's ability to speak
And at the end of the day where the leader stands is largely irrelevant, it's how many seats the party gets, and Cameron's approval is still well ahead of Miliband's.
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
I guess that's what Labour spent their war pot on, trying to deal with Miliband's ability to speak
And at the end of the day where the leader stands is largely irrelevant, it's how many seats the party gets, and Cameron's approval is still well ahead of Miliband's.
People do vote partly based on leaders though - If Miliband can close the gap on Cameron it definitely helps Labour. And from his point of view, Sturgeon doing well is fine now - he doesn't have any seats left to lose in Scotland and it's much better for him than Bennett stealing the limelight.
Jammy Duel
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Saoirse:3)
People do vote partly based on leaders though - If Miliband can close the gap on Cameron it definitely helps Labour. And from his point of view, Sturgeon doing well is fine now - he doesn't have any seats left to lose in Scotland and it's much better for him than Bennett stealing the limelight.
Takes a special kind of stupid to vote labour on the basis of leadership though

And Bennett never had a hope, she's a ridiculous woman leading a joke of a party

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Jammy Duel)
Takes a special kind of stupid to vote labour on the basis of leadership though

And Bennett never had a hope, she's a ridiculous woman leading a joke of a party

Posted from TSR Mobile
I hate to say it but with the levels of political literacy in this country it doesn't surprise me. Although I think most are voting Labour despite their "leadership".
tehFrance
Badges: 15
Report 4 years ago
I don't know if anyone else noticed how posh Miliband came across last night, I haven't heard him speak with such a posh accent ever then then last night, BAM! He's a posh ****?
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by tehFrance)
I don't know if anyone else noticed how posh Miliband came across last night, I haven't heard him speak with such a posh accent ever then then last night, BAM! He's a posh ****?
I thought so too!

My mum was like "Labour's working class right?" so I just pointed at Miliband and said "not anymore". Then I had to explain everyone's shift to the centre ground.

She actually liked Nick Clegg. I think those that don't read much too much in politics would like him as he comes across well and the "borrow less/cut less" as well as the NHS funding would sway votes for him. It's a shame for him and The Lib Dems that he'll be remembered as a man that broke a promise.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just watching yesterday's Daily Politics, turns out the Communist Party see Cuba as the example to follow.

The mind boggles.
Aph
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Just watching yesterday's Daily Politics, turns out the Communist Party see Cuba as the example to follow.

The mind boggles.
The comunist party was on the daily politics?
Rakas21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
The comunist party was on the daily politics?
Yeah, yesterday.

It's interesting that because Cuba has had some success in terms of low inflation and absolute poverty and it's health system (not sure of anything else it does especially well) that people don't mind the fact it's people are far poorer than they probably would have been. Before the revolution Cuba was highly unequal, yes but it also averaged the third highest real wages in the world, had money pouring in from the USA and had a GDP per capita on par with Italy (Italy is now not much poorer than the UK while Cuba has a GDP per capita of $6k).

A classic example of going too far when all that was needed was a mildly social democrat government.
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Rakas21)
Yeah, yesterday.

It's interesting that because Cuba has had some success in terms of low inflation and absolute poverty and it's health system (not sure of anything else it does especially well) that people don't mind the fact it's people are far poorer than they probably would have been. Before the revolution Cuba was highly unequal, yes but it also averaged the third highest real wages in the world, had money pouring in from the USA and had a GDP per capita on par with Italy (Italy is now not much poorer than the UK while Cuba has a GDP per capita of $6k).

A classic example of going too far when all that was needed was a mildly social democrat government.
I think other then the oppressive part of the cuban reigime the fact that people are happy is more importent. Did they go too far? Probably but to make the changes they needed to be fairly extreame. However now the government is becoming more open and less extreame. The darkest hour is just before the dawn so to speek.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PetrosAC)
I thought so too!

My mum was like "Labour's working class right?" so I just pointed at Miliband and said "not anymore". Then I had to explain everyone's shift to the centre ground.

She actually liked Nick Clegg. I think those that don't read much too much in politics would like him as he comes across well and the "borrow less/cut less" as well as the NHS funding would sway votes for him. It's a shame for him and The Lib Dems that he'll be remembered as a man that broke a promise.
Yeah we can't all be as working class as the Liberal Party :rolleyes:

Youse realise that Miliband is the only one of the main party leaders to go to a comprehensive?
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by RayApparently)

Youse realise that Miliband is the only one of the main party leaders to go to a comprehensive?
And? He was born into an upper middle class family, based in Primrose Hill for goodness sake and owning several other properties. The only reason he went to a comp was because of the ideological objections of his father and his friends to private education. It isn't an indicator of his class by any means. You must also remember that this was not at all a bad school, in the middle of the Hampstead catchment area and having produced a drove of high flyers from that time.

It doesn't matter where someone comes from, anyway. It's such an asinine and snobbish way of judging politicians.
RayApparently
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Birkenhead)
And? He was born into an upper middle class family, based in Primrose Hill for goodness sake and owning several other properties. The only reason he went to a comp was because of the ideological objections of his father and his friends to private education. It isn't an indicator of his class by any means. You must also remember that this was not at all a bad school, in the middle of the Hampstead catchment area and having produced a drove of high flyers from that time.

It doesn't matter where someone comes from, anyway. It's such an asinine and snobbish way of judging politicians.
I agree, if you cared about the practice of judging politicians on their origins you should be targeting the post I was replying to.
Birkenhead
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I agree, if you cared about the practice of judging politicians on their origins you should be targeting the post I was replying to.
It was appropriate to respond to you because you said 'Youse realise that Miliband is the only one of the main party leaders to go to a comprehensive?', as if to imply in the context that this meant that Labour is in fact quite working class. Obviously this isn't how it works. It also doesn't matter.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I was not refering to Milibands origins. I was refering to both his and Cameron's shift to the centre ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was not refering to Milibands origins. I was refering to both his and Cameron's shift to the centre ground.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Center??? They both seem to be moving right to me, although ed is less right then Blair.
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
Center??? They both seem to be moving right to me, although ed is less right then Blair.
As the number of the working class fall and the number of the middle class increase, the three main parties tend to work their way into the centre ground as that is where the most votes are

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aph
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
As the number of the working class fall and the number of the middle class increase, the three main parties tend to work their way into the centre ground as that is where the most votes are

Posted from TSR Mobile
But the center is moving right. That was my point. Becides there are now 7 socio-economic classes
PetrosAC
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aph)
But the center is moving right. That was my point. Becides there are now 7 socio-economic classes
Yes, admitedly the center is moving right. But that only helps my argument about the Labour party

Posted from TSR Mobile
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (154)
59.46%
No I haven't decided yet (60)
23.17%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.37%

Watched Threads