Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrimeLime)
    Yes. You never said what dy/dx is equal to. This is why people need to stop doing questions mechanically...
    I don't mean to worry you any more than I already have, but my teacher mentioned once about a candidate who made a similar mistake and lost ALL the marks, with the examiner thinking that the candidate knows nothing about what they are writing.
    On the scale I would say tau.
    I did, at the end when I set h to 0 I put it equal to dy/dx.
    I just didn't write out Lim(h-->0) every time between that.

Also, I don't do questions mechanically, I love to understand exactly what's happening, I don't learn just to pass an exam.

Is that actually a Tau-neutrino or am I at-least not possibly oscillating between bad grades? 0.o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WhisperingTide)
    I did, at the end when I set h to 0 I put it equal to dy/dx.
    I just didn't write out Lim(h-->0) every time between that.

Also, I don't do questions mechanically, I love to understand exactly what's happening, I don't learn just to pass an exam.

Is that actually a Tau-neutrino or am I at-least not possibly oscillating between bad grades? 0.o
    You could lose any number of marks for that, depending on your luck. I think it's possible that you could lose 4.

That's good then, but I'm quite surprised that you forgot the lim h->0 part every time. After doing practically the same question so many times.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you end one of those questions (differentiation from first principles)? Thanks.

It was a maths joke, not a physics joke XD. Tau=2xPi in maths (sort of informally)!
    At least I've TAUght you something new...

ReputationRep:
    You could lose any number of marks for that, depending on your luck. I think it's possible that you could lose 4.

That's good then, but I'm quite surprised that you forgot the lim h->0 part every time. After doing practically the same question so many times.
    Just out of curiosity, how do you end one of those questions (differentiation from first principles)? Thanks.

It was a maths joke, not a physics joke XD. Tau=2xPi in maths (sort of informally)!
    At least I've TAUght you something new...

I didn't forget it, I just don't usually write it out to save time. I write it once and then assume it's clearly implied.
    None of my teachers have ever taken issue with that.

I end it:

(Therefor) dy/dx = <Insert differential here>

I know what it is and what I'm doing with it, but I never thought layout was going to be that important, I always assume that just leaving off the left hand side of an equation and putting '=' on a new line just implied that the left hand side didn't change. I always assumed that as long as it's clear that I knew what I was doing, it'd be marked that way.

Well, that may have saved me some marks on FP1 at-least. The First Principals stuff that can come up there can end up being quite lengthy.

I know, the Pi vs Tau debate is alive and well in my collage, you really do assume others aren't as knowledgeable as you too readily :P
    I just can't resists a good physics joke! (Insert joke about resistance here.)

ReputationRep:
    I didn't forget it, I just don't usually write it out to save time. I write it once and then assume it's clearly implied.
    None of my teachers have ever taken issue with that.

I end it:

(Therefor) dy/dx = <Insert differential here>

I know what it is and what I'm doing with it, but I never thought layout was going to be that important, I always assume that just leaving off the left hand side of an equation and putting '=' on a new line just implied that the left hand side didn't change. I always assumed that as long as it's clear that I knew what I was doing, it'd be marked that way.

Well, that may have saved me some marks on FP1 at-least. The First Principals stuff that can come up there can end up being quite lengthy.

I know, the Pi vs Tau debate is alive and well in my collage, you really do assume others aren't as knowledgeable as you too readily :P
    I just can't resists a good physics joke! (Insert joke about resistance here.)
    "Derivative", not differential XD. The differential is the 'dy' part.
    I always leave out the left hand side of the equation and do what you said as well. How exactly did you set out your answers then? This is what I do:
    dy/dx=limh...
    =limh...
    =ax+b.

If you did it like that you shouldn't lose any marks.

Yeah the differentiation from first principles in my FP1 sometimes has quartics as well, but usually it's actually shorter since you do it numerically (say when x=5) most of the time.

I only assumed you didn't know about it because you didn't get the joke...

ReputationRep:
    Dammit, today I also called an integral 'an intergrate'. I think stats is starting to effect my brain.
    And for a whole lesson once I kept calling the determinant (of a matrix) a 'discriminant'.

NOBODY CARES HOW MANY DICE YOU ROLLED, JUDY, NOBODY! Dammit stats...

Anyway, yeah, that's exactly what I do, I was just wondering if they would care that I left out the left hand side once I stated it the first time.

It's usually when it's 1/(x^2) or something that I end up writing more lines, since you have to mess about with fractions and the like, and I'm really paranoid about not showing all the steps.

I did get the joke...but bad physics jokes > bad maths jokes.
    Unless you manage to make a decent one about someone wearing a wig not having any real roots. Then MAYBE it can compete with the many, many, many bad physics jokes. :P

ReputationRep:
    Dammit, today I also called an integral 'an intergrate'. I think stats is starting to effect my brain.
    And for a whole lesson once I kept calling the determinant (of a matrix) a 'discriminant'.

NOBODY CARES HOW MANY DICE YOU ROLLED, JUDY, NOBODY! Dammit stats...

Anyway, yeah, that's exactly what I do, I was just wondering if they would care that I left out the left hand side once I stated it the first time.

It's usually when it's 1/(x^2) or something that I end up writing more lines, since you have to mess about with fractions and the like, and I'm really paranoid about not showing all the steps.

I did get the joke...but bad physics jokes > bad maths jokes.
    Unless you manage to make a decent one about someone wearing a wig not having any real roots. Then MAYBE it can compete with the many, many, many bad physics jokes. :P
    At least no one will DISCRIMINATE against the person with the wig XD.

So you didn't actually leave out the 'lim h->0' part?

ReputationRep:
    At least no one will DISCRIMINATE against the person with the wig XD.

So you didn't actually leave out the 'lim h->0' part?
    You went there.
    Wow. You crossed the line, you crossed it like a cubic with three real roots.

No, I put it in the first line, THEN i omitted it from then onward.

Obviously you have to put it in at least once, because who likes dividing by zero, right? :P

ReputationRep:
    You went there.
    Wow. You crossed the line, you crossed it like a cubic with three real roots.

No, I put it in the first line, THEN i omitted it from then onward.

Obviously you have to put it in at least once, because who likes dividing by zero, right? :P
    You fail to differentiate between good and bad jokes.

Well if you don't put it in even once, you're not dividing by zero; you're just gonna end up with this random h in your expression, leaving your answer infinitesimally inaccurate (which is kinda weird).
    So yeah, if you omit the limit part you'll lose marks unfortunately. You can't really get away with saying that the limit is 'implied' for the rest of the answer, because the rest of your answer will be incorrect mathematics.

ReputationRep:
    You fail to differentiate between good and bad jokes.

Well if you don't put it in even once, you're not dividing by zero; you're just gonna end up with this random h in your expression, leaving your answer infinitesimally inaccurate (which is kinda weird).
    So yeah, if you omit the limit part you'll lose marks unfortunately. You can't really get away with saying that the limit is 'implied' for the rest of the answer, because the rest of your answer will be incorrect mathematics.
    Okay, good, I didn't leave it out, I just didn't write it over and over for every new line. >.>

Unfortunately, due to just a very mentally exhausting day, I made a bunch of silly errors.

Not simplifying the surd, not taking the negative root as-well, outright forgetting to find L in the last question.
    I just hope it's still an A. Might resit it even if it is to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, good, I didn't leave it out, I just didn't write it over and over for every new line. >.>

Unfortunately, due to just a very mentally exhausting day, I made a bunch of silly errors.

Not simplifying the surd, not taking the negative root as-well, outright forgetting to find L in the last question.
    Nah, the A grade boundary will be a lot lower than usual so given the mistakes you made you should easily get an A.
    How could the 'day' be mentally exhausting? The exam was at 9:00 in the morning!!

ReputationRep:

you did literally all of the same silly mistakes as me... and its so annoying cos you dont make them on the past papers

ReputationRep:
    Nah, the A grade boundary will be a lot lower than usual so given the mistakes you made you should easily get an A.
    How could the 'day' be mentally exhausting? The exam was at 9:00 in the morning!!
    When you've got a child with a temperature of almost 40 (C), you tend to have a very exhausting mourning. :P

ReputationRep:
    When you've got a child with a temperature of almost 40 (C), you tend to have a very exhausting mourning. :P
    A child??? You mean yourself right??

ReputationRep:
    A child??? You mean yourself right??
    No. I have a kid.

ReputationRep:
    No. I have a kid.

ReputationRep:
    that conversation took a turn

ReputationRep:
    Something wrong with that? 0.o

ReputationRep:
    Something wrong with that? 0.o
    Exactly how old are you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jonb365)
    Well the hardest C1 paper to date, June 11, had grade boundaries of:
    A - 52
    B - 45
    C - 38
    D - 31
    E - 25

And I felt both papers were on similar difficulty levels tbf though I can't see boundaries being that low sadly.
    Guessing now I'd say something like
    A - 56
    B - 50
    C - 41
    D - 35
    E - 30

Still, I'd hope for lower cos I've bloody bombed it!
    I have to make you and everyone else aware that we can't necessarily say that we'll have similar grade boundaries to June 11.
    The main thing about the June 11 paper that tripped everyone up was the fact that it was the first paper to have an optimisation problem, which I expect a huge proportion of the country got totally wrong. This could have had an even bigger effect on people's marks than you might think, since they might have got their time management wrong spending too much time on that question (I guess you could argue this wasn't that much of a factor considering that it was the last question on the paper).
    Anyway, the point is, if you look at the June 2013 paper (a paper with virtually the same question 10), grade boundaries were as normally as they had ever been, since the optimisation question wasn't nearly as much of a surprise as it was before.
    So I wouldn't compare to June 11, but maybe you'll get lucky and have low grade boundaries anyway (due to that tanABC question).

ReputationRep:
    I have to make you and everyone else aware that we can't necessarily say that we'll have similar grade boundaries to June 11.
    The main thing about the June 11 paper that tripped everyone up was the fact that it was the first paper to have an optimisation problem, which I expect a huge proportion of the country got totally wrong. This could have had an even bigger effect on people's marks than you might think, since they might have got their time management wrong spending too much time on that question (I guess you could argue this wasn't that much of a factor considering that it was the last question on the paper).
    Anyway, the point is, if you look at the June 2013 paper (a paper with virtually the same question 10), grade boundaries were as normally as they had ever been, since the optimisation question wasn't nearly as much of a surprise as it was before.
    So I wouldn't compare to June 11, but maybe you'll get lucky and have low grade boundaries anyway (due to that tanABC question).
    Didn't someone else say that they'd be a little bit low because of the fact that we didn't get to sit a January exam? Or am I mixing something else up with this?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.