Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Midlander)
    My point exactly, it does not work anymore and UK politics has changed enormously since 2005.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah the public is more right wing now...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redferry)
    Yeah the public is more right wing now...
    I'm not so sure. I voted UKIP because Labour wasn't left wing enough.

Either raise the living standards for all.

Or kick out the immigrants taking what crumbs is throwing at the lower classes in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thisistheend)

Or kick out the immigrants taking what crumbs is throwing at the lower classes in the UK.
    So you'd be happy voting for open door immigration?

ReputationRep:
    So you'd be happy voting for open door immigration?
    Absolutely not. I'll be voting NO to the EU no matter what.

The best of all possible worlds seem to be Corbyn Labour economics and UKIP most other things.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not. I'll be voting NO to the EU no matter what.

The best of all possible worlds seem to be Corbyn Labour economics and UKIP most other things.
    Yeah who needs anti discrimination laws.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    On that basis you have a brilliantly chosen user name, then. I applaud you.

ReputationRep:
    I am confused as to why the right-wing press have launched themselves at McDonnell for one thing he said about the Provos - when Corbyn would regularly meet Gerry Adams in the 1980s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    I am confused as to why the right-wing press have launched themselves at McDonnell for one thing he said about the Provos - when Corbyn would regularly meet Gerry Adams in the 1980s.
    Papers have criticed Corbyn for being an IRA friend as well.

McDonnell is equally bad for Labour though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KimKallstrom)
    Papers have criticed Corbyn for being an IRA friend as well.

McDonnell is equally bad for Labour though.
    Think it was Monday or Tuesday that the Mail spouted "Corbyn appoints IRA sympathiser" on their masthead. Making no mention of the fact that Corbyn is effectively a member by comparison.

ReputationRep:

So Labour weren't left wing enough so you voted for the most economically right wing party?

I do agree though that any party which is supposedly about supporting the less well-paid workers and the working class ought to be for limiting immigration. As Labour used to be

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Or a lunch break?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Think it was Monday or Tuesday that the Mail spouted "Corbyn appoints IRA sympathiser" on their masthead. Making no mention of the fact that Corbyn is effectively a member by comparison.
    Well papers have talked about how Corbyn invited Adams and other Sinn Fein terrorists to the commons just weeks after the Brighton bombing when they tried to kill the PM. And even to this day he refuses to condemn them. Both objectively true statements.

But nah, just "right wing media smear". And you lot are telling us the public outside of existing Labourites and Greens will vote for him? Who are you trying to kid?

ReputationRep:
    I believe people should be free to discriminate as they like, I believe in freedom of prejudice. For example, I wouldn't support a racially motivated physical assault, but it's ok to not give the job to the black guy if you don't like blacks.

It's human nature to discriminate. Anti discrimination laws discriminate against human nature, hypocritical.

(Original post by Good bloke)
    On that basis you have a brilliantly chosen user name, then. I applaud you.
    I can't quite work out if you're saying it because you're very left or very Tory? please do enlighten me, and I don't mean that sarcastically as many of my posts are.
    So Labour weren't left wing enough so you voted for the most economically right wing party?

I do agree though that any party which is supposedly about supporting the less well-paid workers and the working class ought to be for limiting immigration. As Labour used to be
    yes, as bizzare as that might seem. they're both meant to help the least well off in society. One supposedly by giving you money from raising taxes, another giving you money that would have gone to immigrants and asylum seekers and foreign aid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by United1892)
    I think the Shadow Chancellorship was less down to McDonnell being his mate and more down to it being pretty idiotic to have a chancellor who disagrees with your economic policy.
    Eagle is an very well respected economist and would have been a much more sensible choice for Chancellor - Corbyn's already watered down his positions in some policy areas, so that wouldn't have been too huge a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Well papers have talked about how Corbyn invited Adams and other Sinn Fein terrorists to the commons just weeks after the Brighton bombing when they tried to kill the PM. And even to this day he refuses to condemn them. Both objectively true statements.

But nah, just "right wing media smear". And you lot are telling us the public outside of existing Labourites and Greens will vote for him? Who are you trying to kid?
    Ken Livingstone was also involved. Didn't stop him being elected Mayor of London twice.

The Tory government that followed Thatcher had extensive secret talks with the IRA and Sinn Fein.

I'm not saying I support what these pro-Irish Republican politicians were doing (personally I think it's a confusion of the British Left but with long historical roots) but they weren't the only ones and it hasn't been judged harshly by history with hindsight, other than in the equally hypocritical pages of the Mail and the Sun, who have their own tax-evasion reasons for disliking genuinely left wing politicians.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fullofsurprises)
    Ken Livingstone was also involved. Didn't stop him being elected Mayor of London twice.

The Tory government that followed Thatcher had extensive secret talks with the IRA and Sinn Fein.

I'm not saying I support what these pro-Irish Republican politicians were doing (personally I think it's a confusion of the British Left but with long historical roots) but they weren't the only ones and it hasn't been judged harshly by history with hindsight, other than in the equally hypocritical pages of the Mail and the Sun, who have their own tax-evasion reasons for disliking genuinely left wing politicians.
    Don't forget flipping Pinochet. History doesn't exactly look kindly on that.

Then Tony Blair working for Gaddafi. Or Cameron presiding over country that sells weapons to and generally materially supports ISIS via
    Suadi proxy.

If this kind of things bothers someone so much they literally have no one to vote for. However you vote you are compromised.

ReputationRep:
    Or a lunch break?
    I worked 8 hours shifts with two 15 min breaks in my last job. It was awful.

It I was plonked in a Chinese 14 hour day sweatshop I would probbaly end up killing myself.

ReputationRep:
    I can't quite work out if you're saying it because you're very left or very Tory? please do enlighten me, and I don't mean that sarcastically as many of my posts are.
    The views expressed in the joke do not necessarily reflect those of the teller, and it works either way. For the record, I am neither very left nor very Tory.

ReputationRep:
    Yougov poll shows Corbyn is losing on every issue except NHS. Even more Labour supporters think he'll lose the election than think he'll win it.

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2015/09/17...orbyn-success/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ibzombie96)
    Eagle is an very well respected economist and would have been a much more sensible choice for Chancellor - Corbyn's already watered down his positions in some policy areas, so that wouldn't have been too huge a problem.
    Yes but what are her economic views? McDonald is basically a Corbyn clone on austerity etc and how to tackle it. I can see why he would want someone who agrees with him fully in that position.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 23, 2015
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.