Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How Autistic are YOU? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Regarding the Autism quiz..
    I didn't take the quiz
    6.92%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'NOT autistic' bracket
    28.15%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'POSSIBLY autistic' bracket
    4.77%
    I am FEMALE and scored in the 'LIKELY autistic' bracket
    9.85%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'NOT autistic' bracket
    33.08%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'POSSIBLY autistic' bracket
    5.85%
    I am MALE and scored in the 'LIKELY autistic' bracket
    11.38%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunshine97)
    The test said 37 for me :O
    It sort of makes sense since I was diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome when I was young.

However I thought I overcame most of the symptoms as soon as I found out, so it doesn't make sense for my score to be that high :/
    Asperger's isn't something you "overcome" or "cure." It's how our brains function there's nothing that will change it. I too have Asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism). To be honest I wouldn't trade it for anything. Asperger's has been the making of me. It's given me an alternate way of thinking and an obsession with atoms which has constantly driven me onward. It's greatly raised both my IQ, my brother's IQ and I even know a five year old with Asperger's who has an IQ of 170! It's made me able to make complex decisions in virtually no time at all and to solve just about every problem I've ever faced.

It's not always been fun and games though, I mean the lack of social skills has led to me having a childhood so damn awful I wouldn't wish it on a serial killer. People bully that which they don't understand and I stood out like a sore thumb. Hell, even my own cousins, aunt and uncle on one side of the family disowned me because I'm autistic. I also have hypersensitive ears due to it so I can't spend much time around other girls because they squeal too much and it really hurts. I used to be plagued by panic attacks from the increased anxiety levels which accompany autism and became depressed and almost went insane (a friend of mine with autism actually did) from the bullying. Things are better now thankfully, besides I never liked my cousins anyway :P

Overall I'd say Asperger's syndrome is a blessing, but only if you're able to keep the anxiety under control. In fact, the bullying actually made life better for me in the end. If I'd never been bullied I'd have never discovered my insatiable desire for knowledge about the atomic world and would've never met the love of my life, hydrogen peroxide molecules <3

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by preetg97)
    Unsurprisingly low

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dropout_06)
    I only scored 9. Quite surprising, considering I'm a socially awkward introvert. :unsure:
    Surprising indeed! Spose it's possible to be somewhat of an introvert but kinda neutral in the autist stakes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pathway)
    38. Wut. :erm:
    Relax fool :mrt:

Spoiler:
    Show
    All the best people score 38

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Astro-Smarties)
    I got 45, but considering im awaiting my diagnosis for autism- a higher score is expected
    Aye. My sense is that if you score 40+ then you are extremely likely to have an ASD, whereas 30-40 renders you 'spectrum' (probably ASD) :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foo.mp3)
    Following on from How Narcissistic are YOU?, do you sometimes find yourself wondering: 'Am I a little autistic'? :teeth:

Autistic: characterised by difficulty in communicating and forming relationships with other people and in using language and abstract concepts

If you're unsure, perhaps try this short Autism / Asperger's Quiz. Having done so, please select the appropriate poll option as per your score:

• NOT autistic: 0-29

• POSSIBLY autistic: 30-33

• LIKELY autistic: 34+

Feel free to post your score in the thread of course, and comment on how this differs from your expectations, if at all (mine didn’t)!
    Well, I can draw, but paintings not my...oh...wait...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracemay_)
    How does this tally with expectations? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    41, to be expected when I'm actually diagnosed with it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missytwinpeaks)
    So well adjusted. Teach me your ways :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peroxidation)
    Asperger's isn't something you "overcome" or "cure." It's how our brains function there's nothing that will change it. I too have Asperger's syndrome (high functioning autism). To be honest I wouldn't trade it for anything. Asperger's has been the making of me. It's given me an alternate way of thinking and an obsession with atoms which has constantly driven me onward. It's greatly raised both my IQ, my brother's IQ and I even know a five year old with Asperger's who has an IQ of 170! It's made me able to make complex decisions in virtually no time at all and to solve just about every problem I've ever faced.

It's not always been fun and games though, I mean the lack of social skills has led to me having a childhood so damn awful I wouldn't wish it on a serial killer. People bully that which they don't understand and I stood out like a sore thumb. Hell, even my own cousins, aunt and uncle on one side of the family disowned me because I'm autistic. I also have hypersensitive ears due to it so I can't spend much time around other girls because they squeal too much and it really hurts. I used to be plagued by panic attacks from the increased anxiety levels which accompany autism and became depressed and almost went insane (a friend of mine with autism actually did) from the bullying. Things are better now thankfully, besides I never liked my cousins anyway :P

Overall I'd say Asperger's syndrome is a blessing, but only if you're able to keep the anxiety under control. In fact, the bullying actually made life better for me in the end. If I'd never been bullied I'd have never discovered my insatiable desire for knowledge about the atomic world and would've never met the love of my life, hydrogen peroxide molecules <3
    I actually find this so interesting, and it fascinates me how such a change or difference in one's brain can change or alter their entire life in both such positive and negative ways. It makes them unique, and wonderful. Variation is good, gives us more to talk about. Your blessing is a gift to us all c:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinemither)
    I actually find this so interesting, and it fascinates me how such a change or difference in one's brain can change or alter their entire life in both such positive and negative ways. It makes them unique, and wonderful. Variation is good, gives us more to talk about. Your blessing is a gift to us all c:
    Everyone is different just as its a combination of nature and nurture like many things.

I was popular at school before High School but used to get bad temper tantrums but deep down the sweetest kid, I had bad hygine not because I was a dirty person just that I liked to have fun and didnt want to change every few minutes, I did have a bath every few days and whenever was on holiday a shower every day it was more I was so deep in thought I didnt want to waste even 10 minutes getting a shower (but changed underwear as much as 4 times a day)

Then I was bullied at high school so shut out the world so even in my final year when people started talking to me I blanked them, I did well at college but awful at uni as I work better when I have direction and long lectures rather than just told to do everything myself its also why I suffer in the workplace at anything but simple jobs like call centre.

This is despite having a large mensa level IQ I come across as either slow or stupid, I didnt get in to college last year as they told me I wasnt good enough despite doing a degree for a year at a reasonable university and getting into that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonymousForLife)
    I scored 10
    Pretty low. Must feel like a decidedly well adjusted person

ReputationRep:
    I scored 22.

ReputationRep:
    Scored 30, which isn't surprising tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kittyboy)
    Scored 50
    Shut the front door!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devonrose)
    You well rounded, sociable soul, you! :shakecane:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marmbite)
    I got 21
    Reactions etc?

ReputationRep:
    I got 14 think thats about right, I lack a little in conceptual stuff sometimes in art but I make up for it in dance and music. Id say Im pretty confident and strong in social situations too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Catt9089)
    31 so possibly autistic... No I don't think so I'm just socially awkward
    Fairly high score fam, particularly if you're female(?)

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.