Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    Uni gym, student discount. They also allow non uni members to go there which is really annoying as the gym is crowded.
    Bloody students! I can't seem to avoid them on this forum for some reason.

ReputationRep:
    Ironically, it's the vegans that are usually the most ripped with their ridiculous body fat %.

If the gym is boring, that's your opinion. There are few examples of vegan strength athletes and bodybuilders.

The athletes that hit the highest numbers are very, very rarely vegans across the weight classes. This goes for most sports. Ofcourse, vegan strength athletes/bodybuilders will most likely be on enough drugs to kill an elephant, same with their non-vegan counterparts.

Vegan diets are not ideal for sports at a professional level. If they were, the science would be there, and all our athletes would be on vegan diets. I would love to see a professional endurance athlete such as a rower or cyclist on a vegan diet win a gold medal. 5000 calories of pure veg/fruit/legumes/nuts etc.
    That's serious toilet time.
    This NFL defensive linesman is an interesting case:

https://instagram.com/the300poundvegan/

I think he only went vegan around 6 months ago, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up for longer. His career pretty much depends on his size and strength so if it's not working there's no way he'll stick to it. But it seems to be going well so far.

ReputationRep:
    My gym membership is £15 a month with access to a brand new customisable indoor climbing wall. Go me ^_^
    That's good for a gym! They seem super expensive in my area!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by e aí rapaz)
    This NFL defensive linesman is an interesting case:

https://instagram.com/the300poundvegan/

I think he only went vegan around 6 months ago, so it'll be interesting to see if he can keep it up for longer. His career pretty much depends on his size and strength so if it's not working there's no way he'll stick to it. But it seems to be going well so far.
    NFL lol. drugs man...drugs..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by there's too much love)
    Bloody students! I can't seem to avoid them on this forum for some reason.
    I know right, especially the bloody meat-eating ignorant students I wish everyone was Vegan already! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    I know right, especially the bloody meat-eating ignorant students I wish everyone was Vegan already! :mad:
    i still don't get why you think it's okay for animals to eat other animals but not for humans to eat animals, BECAUSE you said we're all equals?

What would domestic cats/dogs eat?

ReputationRep:
    NFL lol. drugs man...drugs..
    My response was to this:

Vegan diets are not ideal for sports at a professional level
    I was giving you an example of a strong vegan professional athlete. He's on the same playing field as all the other NFL players regarding PED use, so that's kind of irrelevant.

ReputationRep:
    Interesting quote, I have been vegan for 5 years now, and that's my choice, but I've just never thought that people who eat meat are just as bad as rapists, murders and paedophiles, I mean to eat meat is someone's choice, right? just as it is our choice not to.

ReputationRep:
    My response was to this:

I was giving you an example of a strong vegan professional athlete. He's on the same playing field as all the other NFL players regarding PED use, so that's kind of irrelevant.
    It's an anomaly. You get people like that. Carl Lewis for example. If you were to come to me and say, hey, look, the All Blacks are all vegans, then I'd reconsider. You get athletes that do all kinds of things and are still successful, anomalies.

ReputationRep:
    It's an anomaly. You get people like that. Carl Lewis for example. If you were to come to me and say, hey, look, the All Blacks are all vegans, then I'd reconsider. You get athletes that do all kinds of things and are still successful, anomalies.
    I dunno. I think that's fairly difficult to prove, since most athletes aren't inclined to become vegans, so there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't say it's an anomaly for a vegan athlete to be successful, it's just an anomaly for a successful athlete to be a vegan. A small but significant difference.

ReputationRep:
    i still don't get why you think it's okay for animals to eat other animals but not for humans to eat animals, BECAUSE you said we're all equals?

We are more intelligent than other animal species, we are smarter than most animals and have the choice of whether we eat meat or not. Other animals are not smart enough and go on instinct/what they have done since they evolved.

We don't need to eat meat to survive and that is that. Now stop making straw man arguments and drop the cats and dogs and lions etc. I really can't be bothered having an argument with someone who is so fixated on this false idea that they need meat to survive and eating meat is right. If you don't get it, you don't get it - end of

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lilly-Bayliss)
    Interesting quote, I have been vegan for 5 years now, and that's my choice, but I've just never thought that people who eat meat are just as bad as rapists, murders and paedophiles, I mean to eat meat is someone's choice, right? just as it is our choice not to.
    I was just making a point and was trying to open their eyes about why the lives of non-human animals matter. Probably wasn't effective but deffo did shock some people. Who knows, if that comment made one more person think about animals as equals and makes them value their lives more then it'll be worth it. I do sincerely believe that people who eat animals are somehow evil on a deeper level though. They don't care about other living things, and that is worrying.

ReputationRep:
    I dunno. I think that's fairly difficult to prove, since most athletes aren't inclined to become vegans, so there aren't many of them.

I wouldn't say it's an anomaly for a vegan athlete to be successful, it's just an anomaly for a successful athlete to be a vegan. A small but significant difference.
    No,

athletes do everything to get that 0.1% improvement in what they do. Anything to make any improvement, now matter how significant it is. There is research and thought that goes behind an athletes diet. If a vegan diet was more beneficial, they would be on them.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador

Have you ever considered why so few of them are inclined to become vegans? Couldn't possibly be because they're told that it's best for their career not to or anything by people that actually know what they're talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rock_climber86)
    We are more intelligent than other animal species, well maybe not you because you still think you need to eat meat, but overall, we are smarter than most animals and have the choice of whether we eat meat or not. Other animals are not smart enough and go on instinct/what they have done since they evolved.

We don't need to eat meat to survive and that is that. Now stop making straw man arguments and drop the cats and dogs and lions etc. I really can't be bothered having an argument with someone who is so fixated on this false idea that they need meat to survive and eating meat is right. If you don't get it, you don't get it - end of
    I didn't say we need to eat animals to survive. I want to eat meat. You call me a savage, and I wish I was. I wish I could go back to the times when we actually used to have to hunt for our food, TO SURVIVE. Those were the days..

ReputationRep:

The problem with interfering in eco-systems is that it has unforeseen consequences most of the time.
    It's hard to know what taking lions out of such eco systems would do to the rest of the eco systems, or how we'd be able to help the lions survive. There is definitely a grey area here.

But we'll move on to species membership now.

How can you measure how much fear someone feels. You can ask them, and you can look at their hormones, but you can't feel in place of them.

So with regards to species, what makes all members of one species more deserving than another if the species' in question are capable of value/preference?

You need to show a way around the argument from marginal cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argume...marginal_cases

Unfortunately all counters I've seen arbitrarily generalize and neatly and wrongly try to brush over minorities as if they're unimportant. The problem with doing this is that they do exist, and if we are not designed and created, but evolved, who is anyone to argue that one human is any less human because they were born outside of the norm?

The argument hinges on neat classifications that are good in theory but don't work in real life.

ReputationRep:
    The problem with interfering in eco-systems is that it has unforeseen consequences most of the time.
    It's hard to know what taking lions out of such eco systems would do to the rest of the eco systems, or how we'd be able to help the lions survive. There is definitely a grey area here.

But we'll move on to species membership now.

How can you measure how much fear someone feels. You can ask them, and you can look at their hormones, but you can't feel in place of them.

So with regards to species, what makes all members of one species more deserving than another if the species' in question are capable of value/preference?

You need to show a way around the argument from marginal cases.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argume...marginal_cases

Unfortunately all counters I've seen arbitrarily generalize and neatly and wrongly try to brush over minorities as if they're unimportant. The problem with doing this is that they do exist, and if we are not designed and created, but evolved, who is anyone to argue that one human is any less human because they were born outside of the norm?

The argument hinges on neat classifications that are good in theory but don't work in real life.
    What does any of that have to do with my post?

ReputationRep:
    What does any of that have to do with my post?
    It was answering your question about equality.

ReputationRep:
    It was answering your question about equality.
    I don't think humans and animals are equal though. Rock climber thinks humans and ALL ANIMALS including things like coral and parasites are equal. If I was to break a bit of coral or kill some parasites, to him, that is murder, because killing of any animal is as a bad as murder and rape, pedophilia etc.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't say we need to eat animals to survive. I want to eat meat. You call me a savage, and I wish I was. I wish I could go back to the times when we actually used to have to hunt for our food, TO SURVIVE. Those were the days..
    You are not in those times now sonny, so why do you keep banging on about cavemen? I've agreed with you that once upon a time it was probably beneficial for us to eat meat, before the days of modern farming etc.

But NOW, in the year 2015, we do not need to eat meat to survive or be healthy. We are much better educated about nutrition and can live a more healthy diet without eating animal products than on a diet eating it, not to mention the environmental and ethical arguments!

But as I said earlier, I doubt i'm going to convince you because you are so hung up about the idea of eating meat and living in your bubble, I won't waste my time reiterating those arguments to you again.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 30, 2015
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.