The Student Room Group

Architecture 2016 Entry Applications and Offers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by cowie
congrats on your offers! Are you perhaps an international/eu student?
Best of luck with Cambridge! Which is your no.1 choice?

ah no, but perhaps cardiff have started giving out offers but have taken a break for the xmas holidays. I am a brit student but yeah my prefered option is ucl at the moment but i'd be happy to go to all my choices tbh.
Reply 301
Original post by georgiaaahg
ah no, but perhaps cardiff have started giving out offers but have taken a break for the xmas holidays. I am a brit student but yeah my prefered option is ucl at the moment but i'd be happy to go to all my choices tbh.

I was asking more in regard to UCL... How did the interview go?/what sorts of questions were you asked? etc
Finally got an offer from Cardiff - AAA, after a rejection from UCL and an unwanted AIS offer from Sheffield. Was just wondering if anyone has had any emails / info on post offer open days at Cardiff? And have any UK students heard from Bath and Edinburgh?
Project due when I go back in Jan didn't get enough answers for this survey. Anyone can take it (but i'm short on Architecture and Interior arch and design students)
it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
"Preservation & Conservation Of Our Heritage & Identity".
Thanks!!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W87FVVP
Project due when I go back in Jan didn't get enough answers for this survey. Anyone can take it (but i'm short on Architecture and Interior arch and design students)
it shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.
"Preservation & Conservation Of Our Heritage & Identity".
Thanks!!

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/W87FVVP
Original post by cowie
I was asking more in regard to UCL... How did the interview go?/what sorts of questions were you asked? etc

they asked me about my portfolio, i just essentially threw all my work at them, they asked me to explain the thought process behind it, they asked what i did in my free time, and why architecture, and why ucl.
Original post by sambeech
Finally got an offer from Cardiff - AAA, after a rejection from UCL and an unwanted AIS offer from Sheffield. Was just wondering if anyone has had any emails / info on post offer open days at Cardiff? And have any UK students heard from Bath and Edinburgh?

I received an offer from Edinburgh two or three weeks ago, im a uk applicant
Reply 307
Original post by lizzyday
Hello, I sent off my UCL task over a month or so ago, I had an interview last week and have received an offer.
My task was 6 drawings on one A4 sheet each, using the whole of the space in my drawings, these were then brought up at interview, and my thought processes and 'storyboard theme' was asked about then. I think that they are just looking for a range of techniques and materials, showing a good example of your skills .
Let me know if you want to know anything else. 😊

Thank you very much for the response. Congratulations on the offer!!!
Guys I received my Task for the architecture in UCL, I'm so lost, did anyone else get it? ASAP the deadline for submission is on 6th of January!!!!
Original post by lizzyday
Thank you! UCL was great and has such a good reputation! I can imagine that even the admissions tutors need a break over Christmas!

My storyboard was made to represent different elements "inside to outside" my own house. I chose different elements and drew them at different scales and angles, using different media such as biro, fineliner and pencil. I think they mean that your drawings must 'link' and have a narrative but don't necessarily have to be a story, like seen in books. However, I'm not completely sure what they meant either. 😂

Hey!!! I'm from Kazakhstan, currently studying in Germany... I'm so curious about the task!! I have no idea how to handle it right now... Is it possible if you show what you have??

P.S. congrats for making it through!
Hi All,

I have just had a portfolio request from Manchester School of Architecture which reads.....

Select your strongest work, and try to lay out your portfolio so that it is really easy to look through. Do not forget to clearly label each piece of work with itsproject title. Your portfolio must include:
a) A 450 word(in total) statement discussing why you want to study architecture at MSA; your own review of a recent exhibition or building that you have visited; a statement about your favourite architect or building; and a work of architecture which you would like to experience in person.
b) 10-12 images to include the following examples sketches at a city scale, a landscape, an interior, a building or landscape you would like to visit. You may also include examples of photography; fine art/painting; graphic design; photos of artefacts that you have created if you wish.

Anyone else done/doing this and want to discuss, share thoughts of what MSA are looking for? Reading above about UCL storyboard and conceptual drawing do you think I should apply that to the MSA task or are MSA looking for something else? Also have not heard from Sheffield, Liverpool or Northumbia yet - any indications from others as to what their timelines and portfolio requests are likely to be so that I can get thinking about them and managing my expectations?

Would be really grateful for some pointers.....
Original post by Sean5Star
Hi All,

I have just had a portfolio request from Manchester School of Architecture which reads.....

Select your strongest work, and try to lay out your portfolio so that it is really easy to look through. Do not forget to clearly label each piece of work with itsproject title. Your portfolio must include:
a) A 450 word(in total) statement discussing why you want to study architecture at MSA; your own review of a recent exhibition or building that you have visited; a statement about your favourite architect or building; and a work of architecture which you would like to experience in person.
b) 10-12 images to include the following examples sketches at a city scale, a landscape, an interior, a building or landscape you would like to visit. You may also include examples of photography; fine art/painting; graphic design; photos of artefacts that you have created if you wish.

Anyone else done/doing this and want to discuss, share thoughts of what MSA are looking for? Reading above about UCL storyboard and conceptual drawing do you think I should apply that to the MSA task or are MSA looking for something else? Also have not heard from Sheffield, Liverpool or Northumbia yet - any indications from others as to what their timelines and portfolio requests are likely to be so that I can get thinking about them and managing my expectations?

Would be really grateful for some pointers.....

if you type MSA portfolio blogger into google you will find lots of examples of what to do and what not to do
How long do you have to produce work for these tasks usually?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by georgiaaahg
if you type MSA portfolio blogger into google you will find lots of examples of what to do and what not to do

Great thx -- how do we know which ones were sucessful?
Has anyone had an offer from Sheffield for architecture with entry requirements less than AAA?
Reply 315
Original post by miss.eleanora
Has anyone had an offer from Sheffield for architecture with entry requirements less than AAA?

My offer was AAA, I haven't yet heard of anyone who has received a lower offer yet. I know in previous years they have been more generous with giving low/unconditional offers, but it seems as their course is getting so competitive - they will naturally be less likely to give these lower offers.
Reply 316
Whats the different between MA/BA architecture for edinburgh?Dont you need to do 1 year of working after BA to be able to continue MA? Or is it special for edinburgh lol

Also, are there any significant difference between BA/Bsc and BArch?
Predicted AAB for Art, DT and Geography
So far I've got an offer from Kent, Oxford Brooke's and De Montfort.
Still waiting for Cardiff but I do have an interview for UCL on February 9, I'm just really anxious about what they might ask me but if it's about my portfolio I will be fine.
Did anyone use their A2 Fine Art coursework as their portfolio? Since that's what I'm planning to do alongside some work outside school but mainly my Fine Art since it's my strongest.
Original post by galanacci
Predicted AAB for Art, DT and Geography
So far I've got an offer from Kent, Oxford Brooke's and De Montfort.
Still waiting for Cardiff but I do have an interview for UCL on February 9, I'm just really anxious about what they might ask me but if it's about my portfolio I will be fine.
Did anyone use their A2 Fine Art coursework as their portfolio? Since that's what I'm planning to do alongside some work outside school but mainly my Fine Art since it's my strongest.

I have an interview for UCL on the 9th aswell :biggrin: You got any idea how long that additional personal statement is meant to be?
Reply 319
Original post by zzdevzz
I have an interview for UCL on the 9th aswell :biggrin: You got any idea how long that additional personal statement is meant to be?

Congrats, guys! May I ask when you submitted the task for UCL and when u receive the notice for the intvs in Feb? Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending