Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    AJ Tracey >>>>

ReputationRep:
    Think I'm starting to lose interest in grime, it's a young persons genre.

Only a few MCs have actual substance in their lyrics, the rest just have gimmicks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zKlown)
    Think I'm starting to lose interest in grime, it's a young persons genre.

Only a few MCs have actual substance in their lyrics, the rest just have gimmicks.
    Exactly, it's too juvenile. Surprised it's taken you so long though, you seem about my age (20s).

I got sick of all the 'I'll do this, I'll do that, look at me then look at you' rubbish a long time ago. Most of it is very badly produced as well.

Most Grime records are like secondary school blazing matches over beats that sound like you're hitting a saucepan with a wooden spoon.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wilfred Little)
    Exactly, it's too juvenile. Surprised it's taken you so long though, you seem about my age (20s).

I got sick of all the 'I'll do this, I'll do that, look at me then look at you' rubbish a long time ago. Most of it is very badly produced as well.

Most Grime records are like secondary school blazing matches over beats that sound like you're hitting a saucepan with a wooden spoon.
    Nah I haven't followed it properly for about 2 years now, I'm 24

I do still like some of the stuff, I will always like Dizzee, Wiley and Dot Rotten. They are heads and shoulders above everyone else.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on Konnichiwa?

Not a fan on the Pharrell tune but the rest is pretty hard.

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, the grime society.
    Aka, kids from Surrey who's parents own a 5 bedroom house and think they're "road"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shannon.SS)
    Ahh, the grime society.
    Aka, kids from Surrey who's parents own a 5 bedroom house and think they're "road"
    4 bedroom house in east & always keen for a sports direct bargain thx
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by shannon.ss)
    ahh, the grime society.
    Aka, kids from surrey who's parents own a 5 bedroom house and think they're "road"
    2 bedroom flat in South London don't hate

but yeah your comment is the way Grime has headed
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rugrets)
    Thoughts on Konnichiwa?

Not a fan on the Pharrell tune but the rest is pretty hard.
    It's a solid album tbh

Loving Corn on the Curb

ReputationRep:
    Ahh, the grime society.
    I'm 24, my parents are divorced and I live in rented accomadation.

However I understand the demographic your shots are fired at.

Top 3 producers of all time: Maniac, Nocturnal, Dot Rotten.

Lowkey >>> any grime artist

Thoughts Wilfred Little

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castro Saint)
    It's a solid album tbh

Loving Corn on the Curb
    crime riddim and konnichiwa are my favs

ReputationRep:
    Top 3 producers of all time: Maniac
    ye

Nocturnal, Dot Rotten.
    Dizzee + Rapid. Better representation of the sound as well. I don't think people give Dizzee enough credit for pretty much self producing his debut at the age of 16/17 and then the majority of Showtime. Dot Rotten is too hit & miss for me and has made too much Hip-Hop.

I'd put Skepta before those two as well. And Terror Danjah.

Lowkey >>> any grime artist

Thoughts Wilfred Little
    no, if we're not being pedantic about Slick Rick & MF Doom then Dizzee is the best Hip-Hop or Grime artist ever from this country.

Ahh, the grime society.
    It sounds like you are the one from Surrey and you only know these types of Grime fans.

ReputationRep:
    ye

Dizzee + Rapid. Better representation of the sound as well. I don't think people give Dizzee enough credit for pretty much self producing his debut at the age of 16/17 and then the majority of Showtime. Dot Rotten is too hit & miss for me and has made too much Hip-Hop.

I'd put Skepta before those two as well. And Terror Danjah.

no, if we're not being pedantic about Slick Rick & MF Doom then Dizzee is the best Hip-Hop or Grime artist ever from this country.

It sounds like you are the one from Surrey and you only know these types of Grime fans.
    Boy in the Corner is a grime album I will happily recommend a non-grime follower to listen to.

That and Home Sweet Home I think.

ReputationRep:
    Boy in the Corner is a grime album I will happily recommend a non-grime follower to listen to.

That and Home Sweet Home I think.
    yeh I get asked a lot about Grime as most of the music my friends listen to isn't Grime so they ask me for recs and that. BIDC is the one that genuinely stands up to great albums of any genre, they all love it and are surprised how good it is. They like JME a lot as well lol.

What did you make of Kano's new album? I still need to peep that. I loved This Is England, track is ****ing hard.

ReputationRep:
    yeh I get asked a lot about Grime as most of the music my friends listen to isn't Grime so they ask me for recs and that. BIDC is the one that genuinely stands up to great albums of any genre, they all love it and are surprised how good it is. They like JME a lot as well lol.

What did you make of Kano's new album? I still need to peep that. I loved This Is England, track is ****ing hard.
    I have it but still haven't listened lol.

Yeah most people I know top 3 are Jme, Skepta and Stormzy.

Same people who call it "the shut up instrumental"

ReputationRep:
    Konnichiwa is good, not 10/10 but still some fire tunes.

ReputationRep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I don't know how to feel about this 😂😂

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Castro Saint)
    Him and AJ are the best right now.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2018
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.