Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Edexcel FP3 - 27th June, 2016 watch

• View Poll Results: How did you find the Edexcel FP3 exam?
    Very hard
    8.40%
    Hard
    14.14%
    Normal
    31.97%
    Easy
    33.81%
    Very easy
    11.68%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zacken)
    I'm pretty sure you can get the hang of FP3 in 2 days...
    I think that's completely wrong.

FP3 is a difficult unit. But it's also a unit you can do really well in, as previously mentioned the grade boundaries are usually very low.

It requires a lot of practice to understand the advanced concepts introduced. Definitely more than 2 days worth of work.

ReputationRep:
    If you struggle with vectors make sure to watch the exam solutions tutorial on them it's very useful. Doing all the questions in the edexcel book is a no brainer, I also recommend doing every past paper and all the topic specific questions (although these are questions recycled from past papers so you might as well just do all the past papers)

ReputationRep:
    Does Arsey usually release FP3 solutions? Can't seem to find last years FP3 unofficial mark scheme thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oinkk)
    I think that's completely wrong.
    I think it's completely subjective.

But it's also a unit you can do really well in, as previously mentioned the grade boundaries are usually very low.
    The grade boundaries aren't usually very low. There are only a one or two instances of it being very low when the paper contained some unusual material, otherwise the boundaries are as high as ever.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    Still barely looked at Fp3 :lol:. Watching videos of the remaining vector material while I do some chores.

Do you all derive the equations of things like the distance between two skew lines in the exam or do you remember them?

(Original post by edothero)
    Does Arsey usually release FP3 solutions? Can't seem to find last years FP3 unofficial mark scheme thread.
    If he didn't, I think someone else might have done them.

I think it's completely subjective.
    Do you think there's any point in repeating questions which are the same type?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    Do you all derive the equations of things like the distance between two skew lines in the exam or do you remember them?
    (I) never remember them, just use C4 methods, time consuming and the algebra becomes hell-ish but not much I can do.

Do you think there's any point in repeating questions which are the same type?
    Big nopes from me there. Those questions which are like "find the vector equation of the lines: (a) (b) (c) ... (h)" are the most pointless thing ever and serve no use. Doing the more awkward problems where you're forced to apply what you know in more creative ways is the only thing that gets them to stick in your head and to get a feel for what techniques are required where.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (I) never remember them, just use C4 methods, time consuming and the algebra becomes hell-ish but not much I can do.
    That's fair enough. I hate hellish algebra. I'll need to practice reduction formulae. That can be annoying depending on the power of the integral. I suspect I'll be prone to mistakes.

Big nopes from me there. Those questions which are like "find the vector equation of the lines: (a) (b) (c) ... (h)" are the most pointless thing ever and serve no use. Doing the more awkward problems where you're forced to apply what you know in more creative ways is the only thing that gets them to stick in your head and to get a feel for what techniques are required where.
    Yea, I think I'll make use of the reviews in my textbook but will skip the stuff which looks samey. I also have a B+C book which seems pointless as I doubt I'll have the time to do much.

I suppose you don't find anything in Fp3 difficult but how would you personally rank the main topics in terms of difficulty . Iirc, they're conics, matrices, vectors, hyperbolic graphs, integration (inc reduction formulae).

ReputationRep:
    How hard is fp3?
    Im confident in fp2 and m3 so how hard do you think ill find it, because it just seems impossible to me.
    Also ive covered all book content like a month ago but its my last exam so once all my exams are finished ill only have 6 days to recap and do all past papers, is this enough to get a a*?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm761)
    How hard is fp3?
    Im confident in fp2 and m3 so how hard do you think ill find it, because it just seems impossible to me.
    Also ive covered all book content like a month ago but its my last exam so once all my exams are finished ill only have 6 days to recap and do all past papers, is this enough to get a a*?
    In my opinion, FP3 can be harder solely due to the fact that the exams are less predictable. Content wise there's not much of a gap but I would say FP3 is a bit more complex than FP2.
    If you're confident with FP2 and M3, I would suggest doing some revision now instead of waiting until 6 days before the exam

ReputationRep:
    FP3 is a bit more complex than FP2.
    :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    :ahee:
    Lmao that smiley :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the arcane)
    I suppose you don't find anything in Fp3 difficult but how would you personally rank the main topics in terms of difficulty . Iirc, they're conics, matrices, vectors, hyperbolic graphs, integration (inc reduction formulae).
    Sorry to butt in but imo (in terms of decreasing difficulty):
    Conics
    Integration
    Vectors
    Matrices
    Hyperbolic Functions
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    In my opinion, FP3 can be harder solely due to the fact that the exams are less predictable. Content wise there's not much of a gap but I would say FP3 is a bit more complex than FP2.
    If you're confident with FP2 and M3, I would suggest doing some revision now instead of waiting until 6 days before the exam
    When I did it originally, I did badly in both but I got 14 more UMS in Fp3. I think Fp3 has more easier marks. With Fp2, there are easy marks too of course but they can be fiddly. Such as if you mess up the algebra in a complex number transformation question.

(Original post by Euclidean)
    Sorry to butt in but imo (in terms of decreasing difficulty):
    Conics
    Integration
    Vectors
    Matrices
    Hyperbolic Functions
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Thanks but i have other exams which i want to focus on, im sort of leaving fp3 as a last resort (trying to get high ums in fp2 and m2). So do you think six days is enough to get an a*? If not then how much time do you recommend i should give to it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm761)
    Thanks but i have other exams which i want to focus on, im sort of leaving fp3 as a last resort (trying to get high ums in fp2 and m2). So do you think six days is enough to get an a*? If not then how much time do you recommend i should give to it?
    Not quite sure, depends on how well you're able to (or have) grasped the content. I personally wouldn't be able to get to an A* level in just 6 days, for me it would take around 2 weeks maybe 3. So again, its up to the person.

I stand by my recommendation; I think you should put in an hour every two days or something so you don't forget everything, seeing as the exam is in a month and 7 days

ReputationRep:
    any hard questions on any of the topic ?? i need to prepare myself or else i would end up having a freaking heart attack in the exam

ReputationRep:
    Not quite sure, depends on how well you're able to (or have) grasped the content. I personally wouldn't be able to get to an A* level in just 6 days, for me it would take around 2 weeks maybe 3. So again, its up to the person.

I stand by my recommendation; I think you should put in an hour every two days or something so you don't forget everything, seeing as the exam is in a month and 7 days
    Thanks for the advice, ill try to fit it in with my other work then.
    I also wanted to ask if doing fp3 revision will strengthen my fp2 knowledge/ help me get better in fp2 as i dont think the topics are related?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rm761)
    Thanks for the advice, ill try to fit it in with my other work then.
    I also wanted to ask if doing fp3 revision will strengthen my fp2 knowledge/ help me get better in fp2 as i dont think the topics are related?
    FP2 and FP3 are independent modules, one does not rely on knowledge of the other.
    But obviously they indirectly help each other in the sense that you get used to taking different approaches to certain questions etc.

ReputationRep:
    Zacken any idea as to why Arsey has closed his threads and removed the solutions?

ReputationRep:
    Zacken any idea as to why Arsey has closed his threads and removed the solutions?
    Edexcel has changed their policy to lock down papers for 12 months instead of 9 months, may be something to do with that?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.