Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tsr_sleuth)
    Ten Old Square rejection! These responses and coming through thick and fast today.
    (Original post by preabogada)
    Ten Old Square rejection
    Commiserations guys. I guess it was expected at this point.

I have yet to receive my Ten Old Square rejection, which is a little odd, given that you two got it at the same time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TimmonaPortella)
    Commiserations guys. I guess it was expected at this point.

I have yet to receive my Ten Old Square rejection, which is a little odd, given that you two got it at the same time.
    I think, based on the e-mail, they might be doing them manually.

ReputationRep:
    I think, based on the e-mail, they might be doing them manually.
    Oh, yep, there it is.

Well that draws a line under that, anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Ten Old Square rejection.

Onwards and sideways (to the bar 🍻)...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for those who've applied for pupillage (to the non-Gateway providers) in previous years. How many first interviews have you had as compared to number of applications made?

ReputationRep:
    Quick question for those who've applied for pupillage (to the non-Gateway providers) in previous years. How many first interviews have you had as compared to number of applications made?
    In my 1st year (GDL year) I made the usual 12 gateway and about 20 non gateway = 0 interviews

In my 2nd year (BPTC) I made 12 gw, then maybe 5 non-gw (it was a tough year!) = 0

In my 3rd year (last year) I made 12 gw and around 80 non-gw = 3 gw interviews, 5 non gw interviews (1 second round)

This year, so far I have made 27 non gw applications and had 2 interviews (1 second round)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shestheone)
    In my 1st year (GDL year) I made the usual 12 gateway and about 20 non gateway = 0 interviews

In my 2nd year (BPTC) I made 12 gw, then maybe 5 non-gw (it was a tough year!) = 0

In my 3rd year (last year) I made 12 gw and around 80 non-gw = 3 gw interviews, 5 non gw interviews (1 second round)

This year, so far I have made 27 non gw applications and had 2 interviews (1 second round)
    I didn't even think there would be 80 non-gateway chambers in the country.... that is some effort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Barista)
    I didn't even think there would be 80 non-gateway chambers in the country.... that is some effort.
    Wow. Agreed.

Thank you for your response in any case.

ReputationRep:
    Ten Old Square rejection and Quadrant invite (?!?!!!! ) today.

Considering, I have now officially given up on trying to figure out the pupillage selection process - how the **** can my first interview invite be for Quadrant (not that I'm complaining!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LadyLaw23)

Considering, I have now officially given up on trying to figure out the pupillage selection process - how the **** can my first interview invite be for Quadrant (not that I'm complaining!)
    Good effort. Congrats.

I didn't apply because they kept rejecting me for minis :dontknow:

(Original post by shestheone)
    In my 1st year (GDL year) I made the usual 12 gateway and about 20 non gateway = 0 interviewsIn my 2nd year (BPTC) I made 12 gw, then maybe 5 non-gw (it was a tough year!) = 0In my 3rd year (last year) I made 12 gw and around 80 non-gw = 3 gw interviews, 5 non gw interviews (1 second round)This year, so far I have made 27 non gw applications and had 2 interviews (1 second round)
    Good lord. I didn't even

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aspiring Barista)
    Thanks, but I think (at least with my friends) it's normal. Post BPTC we are all desperate.

ReputationRep:

Well done

ReputationRep:
    Good effort. Congrats.

I didn't apply because they kept rejecting me for minis :dontknow:
    Thanks! And same here, hence the surprise. I just checked, and they've rejected me 3 times for a mini!
    I guess it goes to show that as long as the mini isn't assessed, the two aren't necessarily as related as might seem...

ReputationRep:
    Well done
    Thanks, you too

ReputationRep:
    Thanks! And same here, hence the surprise. I just checked, and they've rejected me 3 times for a mini!
    I guess it goes to show that as long as the mini isn't assessed, the two aren't necessarily as related as might seem...
    Well it's had a 100% predictive record for me so far, although I'm hoping that will change

ReputationRep:
    Well it's had a 100% predictive record for me so far, although I'm hoping that will change
    Fair enough

Speaking of predicting things, does anyone have any idea what the 1st round interviews at Quadrant entail (ie. application based or legal problem)? There seems to be no info whatsoever on their website other than the size of the panel and that it will "test the candidates’ ability, motivation and temperament", whatever that means...

ReputationRep:
    Got my Ten Old Square rejection today, but also got a Quadrant invite like a few others on here.

Had an interview today for something unrelated to pupillage which reminded me just exactly how much I really need to improve on interviews.

Fair enough

Speaking of predicting things, does anyone have any idea what the 1st round interviews at Quadrant entail (ie. application based or legal problem)? There seems to be no info whatsoever on their website other than the size of the panel and that it will "test the candidates’ ability, motivation and temperament", whatever that means...
    I think from memory that the interview before the test set is a new introduction to the Quadrant process. I think last year the first round after application was the test paper although I could be wrong.

I see they sent a schedule in the email for time slots. If they are aiming to fill all those time slots then they've invited a lot of people to interview. Since they are only 15 mins I expect it's going to be little more than a sifting process for the paper round. I would guess that it would be a standard CV + generic why the bar questions + a short think on your feet style question.

Only a stab in the dark though. Maybe someone else has experience of the Quadrant process?

ReputationRep:
    Did Ten Old Square and Quadrant decide to divide up the applicants between them? I've got a 10 Old Sq interview and Quadrant rejection, and seemingly everyone else has the opposite!

ReputationRep:
    I got rejections from both starting to seriously reconsider my chances of getting an interview in this round!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Radebe91)
    Got my Ten Old Square rejection today, but also got a Quadrant invite like a few others on here.

Had an interview today for something unrelated to pupillage which reminded me just exactly how much I really need to improve on interviews.

I think from memory that the interview before the test set is a new introduction to the Quadrant process. I think last year the first round after application was the test paper although I could be wrong.

I see they sent a schedule in the email for time slots. If they are aiming to fill all those time slots then they've invited a lot of people to interview. Since they are only 15 mins I expect it's going to be little more than a sifting process for the paper round. I would guess that it would be a standard CV + generic why the bar questions + a short think on your feet style question.

Only a stab in the dark though. Maybe someone else has experience of the Quadrant process?
    Thanks, makes sense. I was also a little surprised to see the schedule, though not sure if there are necessarily as many applicants as there are slots. If so, that is a lot of interviewees indeed!

(Original post by LegalLab)
    I got rejections from both starting to seriously reconsider my chances of getting an interview in this round!
    Don't forget - these are only the first 5 sets or so to have made 1st round decisions so far, so don't give up just yet. I'd say there's definitely still hope of an interview, and it may come from where you least expect it (like in my case, where the only invite I've gotten so far is from the one set that I almost didn't apply to, thinking I had no chance there at all!)

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 15, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.