The Student Room Group

Protostar's journey to amazing grades! (GCSE)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by NiamhM1801
Yeah think I got between 78 and 88, not quite as well as I'd hoped but still good. :smile:

Well.done....well let's hope we get what we want....I legit hv nothing to do in life atm....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mypetpikachu
Well.done....well let's hope we get what we want....I legit hv nothing to do in life atm....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I hope we do :smile:
Me neither haha, it's so weird having no responsibilities whatsoever!
Yeah I hope we do :smile:
Me neither haha, it's so weird having no responsibilities whatsoever!

Hmm...I just found something to do..I just remembered how I was gonna watch fruit basket anime after the exams....so I'm about to do that....

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by mypetpikachu
Hmm...I just found something to do..I just remembered how I was gonna watch fruit basket anime after the exams....so I'm about to do that....

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I'm probably gonna start watching orange is the new black at some point.
Enjoy your anime haha :smile:
The physics was pretty decent today, the 2nd 6 marker was annoyingly worded but i think i got the right sort of notes for the answer. For the E=mc^2 first question what answer did you get? I got something crazy like 4.8x10^-29 but i didn't know how else the question could be done so left it at that.

Congrats on finishing though, its been a long time so i'm definitely happy to be getting a long break now :smile:
Original post by Mr_Elmo
The physics was pretty decent today, the 2nd 6 marker was annoyingly worded but i think i got the right sort of notes for the answer. For the E=mc^2 first question what answer did you get? I got something crazy like 4.8x10^-29 but i didn't know how else the question could be done so left it at that.

Congrats on finishing though, its been a long time so i'm definitely happy to be getting a long break now :smile:

I think I got that too! I definitely got something to the power of -29 at least haha - wow, getting a standard form question right would be a first! What about the second one, about how many reactions per second? I got something insane like 9.06x10^36 haha. I agree that the second six marker was poorly worded. I wasn't even sure what the second half was asking me to do, however I think I managed to do it right. :smile:

Thank you, and I agree it's been a long time! Me too - so much time off now! :biggrin:
I think I got that too! I definitely got something to the power of -29 at least haha - wow, getting a standard form question right would be a first! What about the second one, about how many reactions per second? I got something insane like 9.06x10^36 haha. I agree that the second six marker was poorly worded. I wasn't even sure what the second half was asking me to do, however I think I managed to do it right. :smile:

Thank you, and I agree it's been a long time! Me too - so much time off now! :biggrin:

The second one i had no clue to do so i did something and got to the power 15, but that was only like 2 marks so never mind. The second six marker for the hubble constant thing i talked about using the ovserved brightness of a star and it's luminosity to find distance, and using red shift for recession velocity. Velocity/distance could be used by the different values to get a rough idea of the hubble constant or something like that.

I got that answer for the second part of the question too and got something like 9.0... x 10^36! Not a bad paper tbh :smile:
6/07/2016 - Afternoon update
Welcome to Sixth Form!
It's been a while since I last updated here so I thought I'd just pop back and tell you guys what I've been up to :smile:

Today was the first day of Sixth Form Launch Week (lies as its only 3 days!) and it wasn't too bad really. We were given a little handbook as well as the timetable for the week - including a picnic trip on Friday haha. They've also scheduled in a taster of each of our lessons that we chose and I had one of them today which wasn't too bad at all! Hopefully tomorrow is better though as for some strange reason we had a "free study" period - before we'd had a lesson so had nothing to do!

The lesson I had today was Further Maths and I found out we're doing Edexcel (thank god as I had a feeling we'd do OCR!). It went surprisingly well although we only did some basic FP1 stuff! The class had 6 people in it which was surprisingly larger than I thought it would be, I was expecting more like 3! Tomorrow I've got Maths and Physics (in that order). I'm kinda dreading maths as I don't have a single friend in my class (I did have one but she then changed from biology to chemistry so had to move classes :frown:) so now I'm lonely. However my old teacher said that I can move too if I want to, but I'll see how tomorrow goes first. I'm really looking forward to physics in a weird way, funnily enough it's the one I'm most looking forward to doing even though I want to do maths in the future! We'll just have to wait and see I guess :h:

It made me laugh how much work people got from maths to do over summer, as further maths only gave us one sheet! :biggrin:
6/07/2016 - Afternoon update
Welcome to Sixth Form!
It's been a while since I last updated here so I thought I'd just pop back and tell you guys what I've been up to :smile:

Today was the first day of Sixth Form Launch Week (lies as its only 3 days!) and it wasn't too bad really. We were given a little handbook as well as the timetable for the week - including a picnic trip on Friday haha. They've also scheduled in a taster of each of our lessons that we chose and I had one of them today which wasn't too bad at all! Hopefully tomorrow is better though as for some strange reason we had a "free study" period - before we'd had a lesson so had nothing to do!

The lesson I had today was Further Maths and I found out we're doing Edexcel (thank god as I had a feeling we'd do OCR!). It went surprisingly well although we only did some basic FP1 stuff! The class had 6 people in it which was surprisingly larger than I thought it would be, I was expecting more like 3! Tomorrow I've got Maths and Physics (in that order). I'm kinda dreading maths as I don't have a single friend in my class (I did have one but she then changed from biology to chemistry so had to move classes :frown:) so now I'm lonely. However my old teacher said that I can move too if I want to, but I'll see how tomorrow goes first. I'm really looking forward to physics in a weird way, funnily enough it's the one I'm most looking forward to doing even though I want to do maths in the future! We'll just have to wait and see I guess :h:

It made me laugh how much work people got from maths to do over summer, as further maths only gave us one sheet! :biggrin:

I'm glad u had a great day today...

Posted from TSR Mobile
24/07/2016 - Evening update
One month on...How am I doing?
Hey guys! So it's been exactly one month since my last exam so I'm well into my Summer now :biggrin:
I decided that today would be a good time to start on my Summer homework that my school set us, as I think I've had a pretty sufficient break now and I won't have that much time when NCS starts (this time next week!)

I didn't get much done, but that's good because I'm not dedicating loads of time to it :smile: It's all recapping on GCSE stuff anyway so it's not like I really need to do loads of it. Although something which @surina16 has sort of inspired me to do is start looking at some AS maths modules through YouTube videos, which I might do in the next couple of days if I feel like it. Today I just reviewed fractions and indices, so it was very basic stuff that if I'm honest I didn't really need to do, but we need to do something off every page so I'm just working my way through from the start.

Since i last updated here i have been to London on one of the best trips ive been on in my life! It was such an amazing experience and we got so much done in just 3 days, it was exhausting but in a good way :h: I've also been camping with my friends which was a lot of fun, although I got bitten to death by flies, got really sunburnt, and managed to drop a glass bottle on the back of my phone which smashed the screen :frown: but all in all I've had a really busy but fun summer so far :biggrin:
(edited 7 years ago)
Hi
I am new to TSR
And BTW do u have any study tips for history edexcel the cold war unit
I really need help

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raji2001
Hi
I am new to TSR
And BTW do u have any study tips for history edexcel the cold war unit
I really need help

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi there :smile:
Unfortunately I can't help you with history as I didnt do it - sorry!
I'm sure you'll find someone who can help you though :smile:
Thanks
Any advice for English language and lit exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Raji2001
Thanks
Any advice for English language and lit exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Well because of GCSE reforms I'm not sure how your exams will be structured but if they're anything like mine then for language make sure you know how to structure each format such as letters, speeches etc., and also if you have to do a book as well then make sure you know about every character and theme so you're prepared for whatever comes up.
For literature make sure you know your texts again and for the poetry half make sure you know the key ideas of each poem if you have an anthology, for unseen just develop your ability to decipher unknown poems and you'll improve quite quickly. :smile:
Thanks soon much.it is really helping me. If u don't mind me asking do u have any a* english language and english lit essays that u did in prep for ur english exam. If so it will really help me soo much.

Posted from TSR Mobile
25/08/2016 - Final update
RESULTS DAY HAS ARRIVED
Hey everyone - today is Thursday 25th August 2016 which can only mean one thing...IT'S RESULTS DAY!!

I picked up my results at 10 and opened them with my maths teacher watching (bit scary!) but overall I'm really pleased with them!

I'll list my results how they've been given to me on my sheet, including UMS marks. Let's begin! :biggrin:

Edexcel Maths:
Target Grade: A*
Actual Grade: A*

Edexcel English Language:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 45 a*. Unit 2 - 109 b. Unit 3A - 45 a*. Unit 3B - 5
Total UMS: 199
Actual Grade: B (1 UMS off an A :frown:)

Edexcel English Literature:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 98 a. Unit 2 - 39 c. Unit 3 - 47 b
Total UMS: 184
Actual Grade: B

Edexcel Religious Studies:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 83 a. Unit 8 - 78 b
Total UMS: 161
Actual Grade: A

AQA German:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 60 a* (max). Unit 2 - 60 a* (max). Unit 3 - 90 a* (max). Unit 4 - 88 a*
Total UMS: 298

AQA Physical Education:
Individual UMS: Unit 3 - 96 a. Unit 4 - 81 e
Total UMS: 177
Actual Grade: D :frown:

AQA Further Maths:

AQA Geography:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 144 a*. Unit 2 - 133 a. Unit 3 - 90 a*
Total UMS: 367

OCR 21st Century Biology:
Individual UMS: B123 - 95 a*. B456 - 94 a*. B7 - 87 a. CA - 90 a*
Total UMS: 366

OCR 21st Century Chemistry:
Individual UMS: C123 - 86 a. C456 - 100 a* (max). C7 - 94 a*. CA - 88 a
Total UMS: 368

OCR 21st Century Physics:
Individual UMS: P123 - 100 a* (max). P456 - 100 a* (max). P7 - 86 a. CA - 86 a
Total UMS: 372

So altogether I have achieved 7A*s, 1A, 2Bs and a D. I'm incredibly happy with them - other than the D of course but I'm focusing more on the fact that I got 7A*s and hit my target!

This will be my last ever update on this thread, as my GCSE journey has now officially come to an end. I've tagged those who have helped me along the way and made the whole experience a lot better than it would have been - thanks guys!!

If you've made it this far, well done! I'll be making an A Level GYG thread at some point too, so watch out for that!

Peace out ✌🏻️
(edited 7 years ago)
RESULTS DAY HAS ARRIVED
Hey everyone - today is Thursday 25th August 2016 which can only mean one thing...IT'S RESULTS DAY!!

I picked up my results at 10 and opened them with my maths teacher watching (bit scary!) but overall I'm really pleased with them!

I'll list my results how they've been given to me on my sheet, including UMS marks. Let's begin! :biggrin:

Edexcel Maths:

AQA German:
Individual UMS: Unit 1 - 60 a* (max). Unit 2 - 60 a* (max). Unit 3 - 90 a* (max). Unit 4 - 88 a*

AQA Physical Education:

AQA Further Maths:

AQA Geography:

So altogether I have achieved 7A*s, 1A, 2Bs and a D. I'm incredibly happy with them - other than the D of course but I'm focusing more on the fact that I got 7A*s and hit my target!

This will be my last ever update on this thread, as my GCSE journey has now officially come to an end. I've tagged those who have helped me along the way and made the whole experience a lot better than it would have been - thanks guys!!

If you've made it this far, well done! I'll be making an A Level GYG thread at some point too, so watch out for that!

Peace out ✌🏻️

WOW THAT'S AWESOME, huge well done! :biggrin: How are you celebrating?
Original post by lilacpotato
WOW THAT'S AWESOME, huge well done! :biggrin: How are you celebrating?

THANK YOU!!! :biggrin:
I'm off to my friend's house later and we're all gonna get preeeeetty drunk haha 😜
How did it go for you?
RESULTS DAY HAS ARRIVED

Edexcel Maths:

AQA German:

AQA Physical Education:

AQA Further Maths:

AQA Geography:

Peace out ✌🏻️

Well done! Those are amazing results ! Enjoy the rest of the day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending