Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by get schlonged m8)
    Not saying London is poor btw, but it's a hell place to live
    Lol if London is a hell place,I wonder what the rest of the U.K. Is. We are well off financially and theres a lot to do in London,one can never be bored in this beautiful city

(Original post by queen-bee)
    Lol if London is a hell place,I wonder what the rest of the U.K. Is. We are well off financially and theres a lot to do in London,one can never be bored in this beautiful city
    You might be speaking only for yourself there. :erm: I doubt the guy working for minimum wage enjoys London life as much as you do.

ReputationRep:
    It's not that great compared with much of the South East.

Aside from the odd Russian billionaire it's people in flats and terrace houses, don't be gassed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hydeman)
    You might be speaking only for yourself there. :erm: I doubt the guy working for minimum wage enjoys London life as much as you do.
    :laugh: Nauseatingly privileged trustfund bint.

ReputationRep:
    There's no such thing as somebody who doesn't enjoy london,that's the way to spot a Londoner. Do you know that saying,once you get bored or tired of London,you're tired of line? It's spot on!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agrippatropes)
    Didn't I say uskut to you before? Khalas,go do your homework

ReputationRep:
    It's not that great compared with much of the South East.

Aside from the odd Russian billionaire it's people in flats and terrace houses, don't be gassed.
    It's still heaven

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arsenal96)
    Sexually assaulting women is part of radical Islam
    (Original post by Arsenal96)
    Huh? I never implied anyone was Muslim. I was saying dogs don't promote radical Islam like the migrants do
    Neither do the Syrian refugees. They are running away from ISIS ffs, they are not ISIS. Keep reading the Daily Mail though. Unfortunately, perhaps some members of ISIS will infiltrate and pretend to be refugees but does that mean you have to deny hundreds and thousands of other people their basic human rights such as safety and shelter. Children are drowning and families are being torn apart trying to escape this conflict.

The reason many do not want to stay in Turkey is because they are also denied basic rights there too. They are ridiculed, marginalised and prevented from using the same services as ordinary turks. There is no hope for them there. Secondly, I do believe that the gulf nations should be helping and but many like Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, and Egypt are so people also need to stop claiming that Arab nations are not.

The basis of all gulf nations' wealth is: greed. Therefore, we cannot be waiting on them to help whilst children still starve/ action has to be taken now. Funny thing is though when US wants something it would normally impose a sanction like it did on Iran or would declare a war like on Iraq. Yet, not the smallest amount of at least financial pressure is being put on Saudi Arabia or the other nations because they are friends after all and USA needs oil. Lives can wait as long as the big corporations and governments are satisfied.

The people in Calais- I do have an overwhelming feeling are economic migrants and I wish they stayed in their own countries and helped to build their own nations.

However, for the genuine refugees in Calais any rational person who is claiming asylum would also go to the best place for themselves and their family. Not for the benefits. Many of these people are VERY hardworking and intelligent. You can be sure they won't be scrounging off benefits. UK offers the English language which is very important for employers, great higher education institutions, many opportunities and a very accepting and welcoming population. Racism is very low here compared to some parts of France/Italy or Eastern Europe.

You have to understand,
    No one puts their children in a boat
    Unless the water is safer than the land”- Warsan Shire

Rant over but people need to understand that things are not as black and white as the media likes to make to be. Media is trying to separate the people when this is the most important time to actually be uniting. More 'Us vs. them' mentality leads to more of a rise in extremist groups on both sides. BTW: There are many Christians who are also fleeing Syria from ISIS not just Muslims.

ReputationRep:
    It's still heaven
    I'm sorry QB, I just don't get it.

I'm half London, born and bred, but it's just meh

with more than a hint of bleh

You have good facilities sure, but aside from that there only one thing special about London (and that's something personal ) but apart from that, there are so many better things to do outside London, like hiking and camping and sailing, London is too structured, it's fun for a day, go to the museums or the Shard or the Dungeons. You must feel the tedium of buying your ticket, going to the entrance, getting checked by the metal detector to make sure you don't have a bomb or a knife, going in to do the structured activities for your allotted time. It's kinda sad if anything, it's like crowded police state meets Disneyland

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry QB, I just don't get it.

I'm half London, born and bred, but it's just meh

with more than a hint of bleh

You have good facilities sure, but aside from that there only one thing special about London (and that's something personal ) but apart from that, there are so many better things to do outside London, like hiking and camping and sailing, London is too structured, it's fun for a day, go to the museums or the Shard or the Dungeons. You must feel the tedium of buying your ticket, going to the entrance, getting checked by the metal detector to make sure you don't have a bomb or a knife, going in to do the structured activities for your allotted time. It's kinda sad if anything, it's like crowded police state meets Disneyland
    London is a holiday destination in itself. That's why non Londoners love it here :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    London is a holiday destination in itself. That's why non Londoners love it here :mmm:
    I like going to the zoo but it doesn't mean I'd want to live with the monkeys.

(Original post by lahorizon)
    You have to understand,
    That's disprovable just by counter-example. Remember the picture of the drowned Syrian child on a Greek beach, whose father put him on a boat from Turkey?

I'm mostly for taking refugees, but let's not descend into dishonesty to make the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cato the Elder)
    I've seen your comments across this forum. You have a dogmatic hatred of the West due to your Arab heritage and feel that to accept Western culture is "betraying" that heritage (which proves that you can't think for yourself and that you aren't an individual, you instead let family, friends and the "culture" you were born into decide your views) in the mould of other such bumptiously West-hating Orientals such as Edward Said and Sayyid Qutb, you've openly advocated for us to accept hordes of refugees into Europe, delighting in the fact that this will disrupt the continent and lead to the downfall of our civilisation and claiming it is "karma", have claimed that Bush did 9/11, you defend Islam and Muslims at every turn as a knee-jerk reaction to any conversation involving the latter simply because Islam was founded by an Arab, Muhammad, and anything Arab = good in your eyes and can never be criticised, you constantly talk about your puerile, unfounded hatred of the West and your desire to leave and live in Syria (you share that in common with many people of Middle Eastern descent who live here), you whine, strawman and use anecdotes as arguments ("I've met Assad, he wasn't such a bad chap until he killed my grandaddy!" etc etc.
    They aren't refugees. They're economic migrants who come from a backward way of life and expect us to bend over backwards to accomodate them

ReputationRep:
    I tend to doubt those who love to remind everyone of their supposed life of paradise and get uppity about it. Reminds me of school when some children would keep telling you these fantastic stories to make themselves feel better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ascend)
    I tend to doubt those who love to remind everyone of their supposed life of paradise and get uppity about it. Reminds me of school when some children would keep telling you these fantastic stories to make themselves feel better.
    Oh no I have seen my fair share of fellow Arabs (sorry, "Caucasians") and Iranians (sorry, "Persians"), who do have it all and love to boast about it (including their "fairer" skin tones). Superficiality is unfortunately a cancer on our culture and the world in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lahorizon)
    Neither do the Syrian refugees. They are running away from ISIS ffs, they are not ISIS. Keep reading the Daily Mail though. Unfortunately, perhaps some members of ISIS will infiltrate and pretend to be refugees but does that mean you have to deny hundreds and thousands of other people their basic human rights such as safety and shelter. Children are drowning and families are being torn apart trying to escape this conflict.

The reason many do not want to stay in Turkey is because they are also denied basic rights there too. They are ridiculed, marginalised and prevented from using the same services and ordinary turks. There is no hope for them there. Secondly, I do believe that the gulf nations should be helping and but many like Lebanon, Jordan, Iraq, and Egypt are so people also need to stop claiming that Arab nations are not.

The basis of all gulf nations' wealth is: greed. Therefore, we cannot be waiting on them to help whilst children still starve/ action has to be taken now. Funny thing is though when US wants something it would normally impose a sanction like it did on Iran or would declare a war like on Iraq. Yet, not the smallest amount of at least financial pressure is being put on Saudi Arabia or the other nations because they are friends after all and USA needs oil. Lives can wait as long as the big corporations and governments are satisfied.

The people in Calais I do have an overwhelming feeling are economic migrants and I wish they stayed in their own countries and helped to build their own nations.

However, but for the genuine refugees in Calais any rational person who is claiming asylum would also go to the best place for themselves and their family. Not for the benefits. Many of these people are VERY hardworking and intelligent. You can be sure they won't be scrounging off benefits. UK offers the English language which is very important for employers, great higher education institutions, many opportunities and a very acceptive and welcoming population. Racism is very low here compared to some parts of France/Italy or Eastern Europe.

You have to understand,

Rant over but people need to understand that things are not as black and white as the media likes to make to be. Media is trying to separate the people when this is the most important time to actually be uniting. More 'Us vs. them' mentality leads to more of a rise in extremist groups on both sides. BTW: There are many Christians who are also fleeing Syria from ISIS not just Muslims.
    This! Especially the bolded part. It always frustrates me when I see people arguing that the refugees could easily stay in Turkey/Lebanon instead of wanting to come to Europe. If people understood how awful it is for them over there, I don't think they'd say such things. I visited a refugee camp last summer when I was in Lebanon,and I was honestly in tears by the time I left. It's terrible

Take that up with the prime minister
    The Prime Minister is busy making his case for UK to stay in the EU.

ReputationRep:
    That's disprovable just by counter-example. Remember the picture of the drowned Syrian child on a Greek beach, whose father put him on a boat from Turkey?

I'm mostly for taking refugees, but let's not descend into dishonesty to make the point.
    I definitely have not forgotten about him and actually where I first heard of this quote is in an article about the death of Alan. His father put him on a boat along with the rest of his family because they believed that their children and themselves would be safer anywhere by Syria. And if it meant they had to take a boat to get to there then that is a risk they had to take. Many of the people selling boat rides also trick them into believing that it is very very safe and provide them with broken life jackets.

ReputationRep:
    I like going to the zoo but it doesn't mean I'd want to live with the monkeys.
    Sums it up quite well actually :lol:

Oh no I have seen my fair share of fellow Arabs (sorry, "Caucasians" ) and Iranians (sorry, "Persians" ) , who do have it all and love to boast about it (including their "fairer" skin tones). Superficiality is unfortunately a cancer on our culture and the world in general.
    not all iranians are persians (only 51%, actually), thus there is a distinction

ReputationRep:
    Full English,yes please :mmm:
    Oh you can count on getting some fulsome Englishness inside you

Not really. I'm still loyal to the UK
    Secondarily

I always feel like a foreigner living in London even tho I was born and raised here
    You and I both. It's an alien city. Yet you bang on about how wonderful London life is :dontknow:

Could you live with my ideologies?
    Yup, because I know you’re not really an apologist for Islam, you just sound like one sometimes, when your humanity is a touch overzealous

I'll surprise thee baby :sexface:
    A little heads up, if it’s within the next few weeks, if you please, as I’m not in a good place RN and due to move again before long (Amen)

Just thinking of some extreme sexist getting angry about me displaying my body
    It’s not mere sexism/misogyny that motivates the ‘oppression’ of women, dear. There are more laudable elements to related Eastern culture e.g. the preservation of modesty, sanctity of sexuality, and integrity of the family unit

inshallah tho, I hope so. I like that my arabness is rubbing off on you habibti
    Expect Princess Jasmine will make a very big, and lasting ‘impression’ on me :innocent:

The rest of the U.K. Is irrelevant to us Londoners
    What have you been smoking!? :mad:

I wonder what the rest of the U.K. Is
    Green and pleasant

once you get bored or tired of London,you're tired of line? It's spot on!
    Pun intended in the typo? (coke capital of Europe and general city of sin) :erm:

I like going to the zoo but it doesn't mean I'd want to live with the monkeys
    Hey! We’re not all monkies :woo:

(Original post by childofthesun)
    It always frustrates me when I see people arguing that the refugees could easily stay in Turkey/Lebanon instead of wanting to come to Europe. If people understood how awful it is for them over there, I don't think they'd say such things. I visited a refugee camp last summer when I was in Lebanon, and I was honestly in tears by the time I left. It's terrible
    They have our sympathy but you’re drawing a false dichotomy and (hence) the vast majority of them don’t just stop, upon reaching the first non-squalid/safe place, or even upon reaching Europe, instead many continue to migrate Northward. Some have even turned up in Murmansk! :lolwut:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 3, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.