(Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    You got me bro, you totally got me.
    I know I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nameless Ghoul)
    I know I did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scruffyjoe)
    Honestly, if someone needs to be dealt with rudely it's you. I don't know why you think I'm a troll when I'm merely stating my opinion and sharing my experience of that stupid university.If anyone's a troll, I think it's you. I guess you like to pick fights and that too anonymously from behind a computer screen like a coward.just look around on TSR alone and you will find millions of threads and posts dissing Manchester, are they all trolls as well? I don't think so. Manchester really isn't as good as people like you and the people running the uni make it out to be, hence why I think it's overrated.I hope you can be a bit more liberal and agree to disagree I guess.
    *sigh*, you're not just stating your opinion, you're trying to discourage people from going to a uni because you had a bad experience from a singular faculty inside the uni. How the hell does your experience from studying Law there have anything to do with someone else wanting to go into a completely unrelated course? How does some people that only you know saying they don't like the uni (for reasons unknown) mean nobody should go there? Do they know better than the countless people that study or have studied Law there who don't share your opinion? Someone's already given this to you:
    6th best academic reputation in the UK
    30th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
    6th best employer reputation in the UK. 13th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
    meanwhile you provided no form of facts as to why it isn't so good of a uni. All you do when presented with things like this is cry "I'm just stating my opinion" and play the victim game. I honestly don't know why you're finding it so hard to see why this is problematic.

Millions of threads dissing Manchester yeah okay, why not billions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry Tibbs)
    *sigh*, you're not just stating your opinion, you're trying to discourage people from going to a uni because you had a bad experience from a singular faculty inside the uni. How the hell does your experience from studying Law there have anything to do with someone else wanting to go into a completely unrelated course? How does some people that only you know saying they don't like the uni (for reasons unknown) mean nobody should go there? Do they know better than the countless people that study or have studied Law there who don't share your opinion? Someone's already given this to you:
    6th best academic reputation in the UK
    30th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
    6th best employer reputation in the UK. 13th in the world http://www.topuniversities.com/unive...=false+search=
    meanwhile you provided no form of facts as to why it isn't so good of a uni. All you do when presented with things like this is cry "I'm just stating my opinion" and play the victim game. I honestly don't know why you're finding it so hard to see why this is problematic.

Millions of threads dissing Manchester yeah okay, why not billions?
    Yes you're right I honestly don't know why any of this is problematic. I think you're taking TSR a bit too seriously. Calm down! This isn't a court room where hard facts need to be presented. This is a casual forum where people like myself and you can have difference of opinions.

I have already explained as to why I think Manchester is overrated. There are many universities mentioned on this forum that people have dissed about. Does that dissuade people from going there? Not really. Even I wouldn't blindly listen to someone's opinion in a forum like TSR alone and think of not going to a particular uni. I would do my own research first. So yes, I really don't think this is problematic at all.

My opinion is specific to the law school yes, but Manchester on the whole has a pretty rubbish reputation. I maybe from a different country than the UK but i have lived here long enough to gauge what people think about Manchester and how it's stacked against other universities.

Even during my postgraduate (in uk as well) people asked me whether Manchester is any good? Maybe you had a good time and you enjoyed your course or you were probably happy with the low standard of education offered by Manchester (maybe that was beyond what you could have ever expected from uni) but not me. And that's where I think it's okay to have different opinions and disagree. I guess the only reason you're being so defensive is because I'm not the first person on this forum to diss Manchester. Seriously, calm down and move on.

ReputationRep:
    Right I'll give you some facts:

I got accepted into the law program at Manchester with a BBC at A level when the enters level requirement is AAA. And I wasn't the only one in the entire batch.

In my school alone (not even in the uk btw) 18 people from my cohort were accepted into programs at Manchester. Literally every Tom **** and Harry ends up there. This was just in my year alone. Not to mention two of my neighbors went there as well. And again they were also average students

The law faculty (as previously mentioned) is average, not qualified enough.

The REF ranking for law is piss poor

The domestic league tables show its pretty bad

THE ranks it at no. 56 which isn't something to be proud of really.

Do you really need anymore facts??

ReputationRep:

I got accepted into the law program at Manchester with a BBC at A level when the enters level requirement is AAA. And I wasn't the only one in the entire batch.

In my school alone (not even in the uk btw) 18 people from my cohort were accepted into programs at Manchester. Literally every Tom **** and Harry ends up there. This was just in my year alone. Not to mention two of my neighbors went there as well. And again they were also average students

To be ranked 56th in the world is not something to be proud of? What on earth?

ReputationRep:
    overrated : bristol

underrated : bath

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carola)
    overrated : bristol

underrated : bath
    Is that because you got rejected?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Manchester is a good top 20ish university in the UK with a reputation that broadly parallels SOAS.

SOAS is probably a better environment for an UG in terms of teaching quality. It however is relatively unknown largely owing to size, so Manchester probably offers better career prospects.

That said, in my field - International Development, it's up there with the best. However from experience, it is where master's students end up who have been turned away from Oxbridge, LSE and Sussex. Strong faculty that is worth studying at however.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    To be ranked 56th in the world is not something to be proud of? What on earth?
    It isn't something to be proud of when some Chinese universities are ranked above Manchester and you cannot help but think of how much money you could have saved by not going to Manchester and going for the Chinese ones instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Newcastle456)
    Manchester is a good top 20ish university in the UK with a reputation that broadly parallels SOAS.

SOAS is probably a better environment for an UG in terms of teaching quality. It however is relatively unknown largely owing to size, so Manchester probably offers better career prospects.

That said, in my field - International Development, it's up there with the best. However from experience, it is where master's students end up who have been turned away from Oxbridge, LSE and Sussex. Strong faculty that is worth studying at however.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    You're right. I guess but the universities have comparable reputation. SOAS maybe edges slightly above Manchester I think. But it's the teaching quality that really disappointed me at Manchester and having heard from people at soas and having had a look at their law faculty qualifications I cannot help but feel a sense of regret about not choosing the latter. That's all!

Are you referring to manchesters international development course or soas?

ReputationRep:
    It isn't something to be proud of when some Chinese universities are ranked above Manchester and you cannot help but think of how much money you could have saved by not going to Manchester and going for the Chinese ones instead.

Are you suggesting that Chinese universities aren't good? Why wouldn't they be among the best in the world, just because it's in China? China has invested heavily in higher education to have a more educated population, which consequently means that the universities are improving due to the money being spent on education, which then again attracts brilliant professors etc.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand your point of view.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by frognation22)
    x
    Thanks for your reply . And Apology for a couple of misunderstandings and several wrong assumptions, especially about your profile.

And I don't find you are particularly arrogant. You just spent more time for study than other students, so you deserve to aim higher than others.

I thought this was a wonderful programme, but then again, I attended Open Day and started researching more about it and realised that sure there is more flexibility degree-wise, but again, I am so incredibly limited in module selections as compared to the USA.
    Understood. That's reasonable. I'm sorry again that I misunderstood like you didn't apply such courses and was just too judgemental.

Not to mention, factoring in there's only around 80 hours worth of lectures/seminars in a term compared to approx 225 hours in the United States.
    About assessing universities based on teaching time, I personally don't agree with you. To be honest I prefer shorter teaching time to have more free time to explore subjects at a library, and then tackle with unexpectedly challenging questions beyond textbooks in final exams (sometimes even a hot topic discussed in this field currently making some students literally cry during exam hours).

But not as complete freedom as European continental universities like French and German, which confuse students very often where to head and what to study (and no tutoring hours there). British universities in general are situated in a middle between European and American university system, and I feel comfortable with this balance (If I need some help, they will do to me at the right time, if I don't need they will minimise to disturb me and let me go).

I also prefer British marking system, that doesn't cap to be Einstein answers. Even Einstein answers won't get 100 out of 100 at top universities. The average GPA becoming easily something like 3.8/4.0 is theoretically odd for me, because there are so many unsolved and tough academic problems causing headache among scholars everyday, and most of the students there got nearly perfect answer to their subjects making world researchers and leaders cry to hear? Mmm... not sure if such universities can really exist on our planet....

Above all are just my preference. Other people like you may feel opposite. Like I said, all systems have pros and cons, and after all a matter of preference.

But if you rate British (or any other countries' higher education) underneath American HE, I want to oppose and say you are ignorant. If you doubt about what I say, then you can collect past exam papers from Oxbridge, or other equivalent top universities from other countries, and compare those to exam papers at Chicago. Or ask your brother to answer those questions. I'm more than sure that disappointingly you won't find a lot of difference. That's what I meant "the quality of education". Whatever the pathway is, as long as requiring the same graduation standards, those universities are qualified to be equally respected.

With that said, lets say I got into Warwick and UC Santa Barbara. I would, as a matter of fact, still choose the latter.
    If it was UC Santa Barbara or UCL? Honestly, I still find myself leaning to this top 30-40 school over UCL. So as mentioned before, when it really boils down to choosing, prestige isn't necessarily a factor I really consider (Even though my posts might have come across this way)
    Sorry that I confused you, but. I'm not talking about prestige as you may notice. And I feel that's a bit too disrespectful to Warwick if you compare it to UCSB. I believe I saw enough number of graduates from both British and American universities. So I can certainly say Warwick graduates are more impressive than UCSB or similar US public school graduates. In theoretical subjects especially, graduates from British universities are relatively well-trained from my point of view, whereas US state school graduates look they aren't prepared enough in general. Although I must admit that students from US top school graduates are impressive and I was amused by the way how they were quick learners and hard workers. So I won't compare Warwick to HYPSM etc. But between Warwick and UCSB... I think I will bet all the money to the victory of Warwick students in terms of knowledge of their subjects, problem-solving and logical-thinking skills, if I randomly pick up 20 graduates from both universities and compare with each other. I'll be rich then.

But please don't think I'm anti-US public universities. There are several US public universities I absolutely like (in fact, I would definitely choose UCB over some Ivies.). However most likely, I think you won't enjoy the public uni environment if you attend. If I consider your personality and the way of expectation to HE. And that's no problem. Everyone should attend a university where s/he feels happiest and comfortable most.

Sorry for my long reply. I think I explained enough.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Lol, let's all learn Chinese and go study in China because some are ranked above our uni.. Much logic.

Getting into Tsinghua or Peking is no joke, they're like the Oxbridge of China.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Lol, let's all learn Chinese and go study in China because some are ranked above our uni.. Much logic.

Getting into Tsinghua or Peking is no joke, they're like the Oxbridge of China.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oxbridge which covers 1 billion of some of the hardest working people in the world, many of whom are trying to fight themselves out of poverty through education. Manchester should be hanging its head in shame for being behind these ex-polys.

TSR ...

ReputationRep:
    Besides the language requirement, of learning Mandarin, it's also about £16,000 a year for a course. Reckon Student Finance England will cover that for me, bud?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cazzem)
    Are you suggesting that Chinese universities aren't good? Why wouldn't they be among the best in the world, just because it's in China? China has invested heavily in higher education to have a more educated population, which consequently means that the universities are improving due to the money being spent on education, which then again attracts brilliant professors etc.

I'm not trying to start an argument, I'm just trying to understand your point of view.
    I suppose I could have been much clearer about what I was tying to say. I'm sure Chinese universities are great. I simply meant that it would have been cheaper for me to go to a Chinese university had I known that it was ranked higher than my university. And before everyone takes their calculators out and run after me with the digits let me clarify. China offers almost 100percent scholarships for people from my country. One of my friends is doing postgrad at Tshingua and she has received 110% financial aid (yes 110%!)
    So I do feel that I could have saved my parents some money by going to a Chinese uni which also ranks batter than Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    You're right. I guess but the universities have comparable reputation. SOAS maybe edges slightly above Manchester I think. But it's the teaching quality that really disappointed me at Manchester and having heard from people at soas and having had a look at their law faculty qualifications I cannot help but feel a sense of regret about not choosing the latter. That's all!

Are you referring to manchesters international development course or soas?
    Both to be honest, Manchester would probably be the next alternative you consider in the field again.

Once you come out of that and go for general jobs as opposed to academia , SOAS, Manchester and Sussex don't have much going for them vs Oxbridge/LSE. Although PhDs from any of above gives you a fair chance to go be an academic.

The American ivy students are quite good - Brown, Penn, UChicago/Yale. However, I definitely wouldn't say better, marks thus far would corroborate this, but I'm not a fan of seeing education as marks/exams.

As for the ones who made it on from public American universities/less well known. My own personal thoughts are some are pretty poor in terms of natural intelligence. Whether they can write a good essay, no idea. However, in everyday chats and conceptual understanding, piss poor.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Besides the language requirement, of learning Mandarin, it's also about £16,000 a year for a course. Reckon Student Finance England will cover that for me, bud?
    I don't know about England, bud but I know the Chinese government would have covered that for people from my country,
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I suppose I could have been much clearer about what I was tying to say. I'm sure Chinese universities are great. I simply meant that it would have been cheaper for me to go to a Chinese university had I known that it was ranked higher than my university. And before everyone takes their calculators out and run after me with the digits let me clarify. China offers almost 100percent scholarships for people from my country. One of my friends is doing postgrad at Tshingua and she has received 110% financial aid (yes 110%!)
    So I do feel that I could have saved my parents some money by going to a Chinese uni which also ranks batter than Manchester.
    Lol, you say this like it's easy to get into a top Chinese uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.