Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Edexcel: From kaiser to fuhrer 1900-1945, his03/d exam friday 10th june 2016 Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    Take the different groups of opposition and talk about them in order of which was the greatest threat (unless it gives you a stated factor, then start with that) and work your way down. For me I would talk about;

1) elite/military
    2) church
    3) left
    4) youth

There's quite a lot on the book so I'm just having a hard time picking out the key bits if you know what I mean??
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie.humair)
    There's quite a lot on the book so I'm just having a hard time picking out the key bits if you know what I mean??
    Thanks
    I'd say for key points:

elite/military
    -Kreisau Circle
    -1944 Bomb plot

church
    -1941 protest at Nazi's removing cruxifixes in Bavaria
    -Bishop Galen attacked Akiton Euthanasia Programme, programme subsequently covered up

Left
    - Rote Kappelle communist network, destroyed 1942
    - some underground resistance but isolated
    -Robert Uhrig & his resistance cells in factories

Youth
    -White Rose group
    -Edelweiss Pirates

ReputationRep:
    They can ask about the war economy during ww2. The information on it is on pages 209-215. Hope that helps X
    Thank you! So you don't think they would ever ask a question about the economy before the war and the prep for it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattkin)
    I'd say for key points:

elite/military
    -Kreisau Circle
    -1944 Bomb plot

church
    -1941 protest at Nazi's removing cruxifixes in Bavaria
    -Bishop Galen attacked Akiton Euthanasia Programme, programme subsequently covered up

Left
    - Rote Kappelle communist network, destroyed 1942
    - some underground resistance but isolated
    -Robert Uhrig & his resistance cells in factories

Youth
    -White Rose group
    -Edelweiss Pirates
    This is great, thank you
    Do you think you could do the same for morale and the war effort please?
    That would be awesome x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katiiieghjkl)
    Thank you! So you don't think they would ever ask a question about the economy before the war and the prep for it?
    I can't see a section in the book unless I've missed it but I think that is all they will ask about the war economy

ReputationRep:
    I can't see a section in the book unless I've missed it but I think that is all they will ask about the war economy
    Fab thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else finding it hard to remember everything? There's just so much 😅

ReputationRep:
    Here's a copy of the specification, broken down - they won't ask questions for anything outside these topics:

Pre-war and mid-war Germany:

-the constitution and the relative powers of the Kaiser, Chancellor and Reichstag 

- Existing social and political divisions in the Second Reich

- The economic and social changes of the years 1900-14 and the impact of these changes on politics and political parties.
- The impact of the First World War on the domestic (social, economic political) situation

Weimar Germany:

- the new constitution and its supporters and opponents

- the social, economic and political problems of 1919-23
- the stabilisation achieved in 1923-24.

- The ‘Golden Years’ (1925-29) economic, social and cultural developments in these years and in particular the roles of Stresemann and Hindenburg. 

Rise and development of the Nazis:

- The development of the Nazi Party before 1928. Fringe?
    - Transformation in fortunes of the Nazis 1919 - 1933

- Hitler’s appointment as Chancellor in January 1933.

- The growth and consolidation of dictatorship in the first six months of that year. 

The Second World War:

- Morale
    - The efficiency or otherwise of war production.

- Repression of dissent and opposition.

- The evolution of the ‘Final Solution’.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kimmykim1998)
    Here's a copy of the specification, broken down - they won't ask questions for anything outside these topics:

Pre-war and mid-war Germany:

-the constitution and the relative powers of the Kaiser, Chancellor and Reichstag 

- Existing social and political divisions in the Second Reich

- The economic and social changes of the years 1900-14 and the impact of these changes on politics and political parties.
- The impact of the First World War on the domestic (social, economic political) situation

Weimar Germany:

- the new constitution and its supporters and opponents

- the social, economic and political problems of 1919-23
- the stabilisation achieved in 1923-24.

- The ‘Golden Years’ (1925-29) economic, social and cultural developments in these years and in particular the roles of Stresemann and Hindenburg. 

Rise and development of the Nazis:

- The development of the Nazi Party before 1928. Fringe?
    - Transformation in fortunes of the Nazis 1919 - 1933

- Hitler’s appointment as Chancellor in January 1933.

- The growth and consolidation of dictatorship in the first six months of that year. 

The Second World War:

- Morale
    - The efficiency or otherwise of war production.

- Repression of dissent and opposition.

- The evolution of the ‘Final Solution’.
    You darling <3

ReputationRep:
    Okay, potentially silly question but I want to make sure I am as accurate as possible in the exam. If a question on Nazi consolidation of power comes up, what is the most effective point to make about the use of terror and violence? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help me out with a semi detailed plan on the war economy please.
    Thanks 😊

ReputationRep:
    Could someone please help me out with a semi detailed plan on the war economy please.
    Thanks 😊
    omg hey sorry I completely forgot to get back to you

I'd do:

Labour
    -Failure to mobilise women due to Hitler's ideological beliefs
    -Labour shortages
    -Over-reliance on foreign labourers, 6.4 million by 1942 - they were malnourished/ maltreated and thus were less productive than Germans (60-80% less productive)

Shortages of Raw Materials
    -serious lack of coal and iron, needed the raw materials from countries they invaded but SS more concerned with implementing racial policy
    -raw materials increased as more countries were invaded and taken over, but Stalin's scorched earth policy hindered Germany's access to raw materials , eg in Donbrass region of Ukraine the output of Soviet coal was only 5% of pre war levels

Chaotic State
    -competeing agencies, Office of Four Year Plan & Economics Ministry for example -- polycratic state
    -German economy not fully mobilised for war until 1942, focus on consumer goods (production increased by 16% in early years)
    - Operation Barabossa turning point, military spending inceased three fold in 1942 to 56 billion marks

Speer & Total War
    - state of total war announced, closure of all non-essential business, total mobilisation for war effort
    - rationalisation, head of Office for Munitions
    -ammunition production increased 97% under Speer, productivity increased 60% in munitions, 1942-1944 German war production trebled

Bleugh, I'm not really a fan of economic questions, feel free to call me out if I got bits wrong!
    ^_^

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kattkin)
    omg hey sorry I completely forgot to get back to you

I'd do:

Labour
    -Failure to mobilise women due to Hitler's ideological beliefs
    -Labour shortages
    -Over-reliance on foreign labourers, 6.4 million by 1942 - they were malnourished/ maltreated and thus were less productive than Germans (60-80% less productive)

Shortages of Raw Materials
    -serious lack of coal and iron, needed the raw materials from countries they invaded but SS more concerned with implementing racial policy
    -raw materials increased as more countries were invaded and taken over, but Stalin's scorched earth policy hindered Germany's access to raw materials , eg in Donbrass region of Ukraine the output of Soviet coal was only 5% of pre war levels

Chaotic State
    -competeing agencies, Office of Four Year Plan & Economics Ministry for example -- polycratic state
    -German economy not fully mobilised for war until 1942, focus on consumer goods (production increased by 16% in early years)
    - Operation Barabossa turning point, military spending inceased three fold in 1942 to 56 billion marks

Speer & Total War
    - state of total war announced, closure of all non-essential business, total mobilisation for war effort
    - rationalisation, head of Office for Munitions
    -ammunition production increased 97% under Speer, productivity increased 60% in munitions, 1942-1944 German war production trebled

Bleugh, I'm not really a fan of economic questions, feel free to call me out if I got bits wrong!
    ^_^
    Not a problem!
    Thanks though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libbyisconfused)
    Okay, potentially silly question but I want to make sure I am as accurate as possible in the exam. If a question on Nazi consolidation of power comes up, what is the most effective point to make about the use of terror and violence? Thanks
    You want to focus on
    Electoral intimidation (how the SS/SA bullied people into voting leading up to the March 1933 election, moreover, how they needed 2/3 of the Reichstag to get the Enabling Act passed, so had the 81 communists arrested)
    Enabling act - how they violently intimidated people into voting for the Act
    Political opponents removed: Outlawed all political parties; violently got rid of the the SPD in June (after Kopenick Week of Blood)

Most effective point is probably the fact that they had other parties outlawed through the use of violence, arrests and eventually execution, as getting rid of opposition on an official level would threaten their chances of consolidating any power, so it was like a precondition to the later things like Gleichschaltung and that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    Yeah those points are largely fine. Make sure you focus on the economic and political tensions though; how are you linking your point about people wanting to give democracy a chance to the question?

For the economy I would argue that the Versailles settlement had a limited damaging impact in the grand scheme of things. It was the economy that the Weimar politicians inherited, and then the economic and political decisions that were made by the politicians that caused the real crash (as I think you pick up on in your plan so that's great )
    cheers defo gonna take that into consideration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libbyisconfused)
    I would talk about the role of the gestapo pointing out the situation in wurzburg where there were:
    -1 million population yet only 28 gestapo officials and the people felt as though there were gestapo on every corner along with the fact that 57% of denunciations came from general population, state that robert gelately claims that through fear of gestapo german people policed themselved as the gestapo were under resourced and spent most of its time rooting out false alegations yet the portrayal of the gestapo was that they were everywhere.
    -lack of general polls and what polls were released were subject to nazi maipulation of figures
    -First people to be sent to work camps were infact political enemies such as communists raising fear throughtout the left to not rebel and drove many of these left wing organisations underground.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    Hi guys,

This is the 2016 official thread for Edexcel HIS03/D exam, specifically the course titled "from Kaiser to Fuhrer 1900-45". We can use it to share resources and ask questions relating to the exam, the content, essay technique, recision etc.

I couldn't find a threat so thought I would make one as it was really helpful last year for AS and threads have been helpful in my other subjects this year too!

A bit of information on the exam:

Title: From Kaiser to Fuhrer 1900-1945
    Code: HIS03/D
    Date and time: Friday 10th June 2016 @ 9.00AM
    Duration: 2 hours
    Layout: We will answer two questions in total - one from Section A and one from Section B. It's so important to understand the exam and what's required of us, so here's a little bit to get you going...

Section A: This is worth 30 marks so I reccomended you spend around 50 minutes answering this question. We will have a choice of two questions in this section. The layout of this Section is very much like the 30 mark questions we got in our unit 1 exam. We will be asked a question and we answer purely on our knowledge, marks come purely from arguing a case with our own knowledge. Of course, this year the content is a bit more complex, so a real understanding is needed! Also, to gain the higher marks, it is important to make links between your paragraphs and don't write them in isolation. An example; if the question was on the greatest threat to Weimar, I may write one paragraph on the Treaty of Versailles, one of the economic disaster, and one on political extremists. It's important to make links between these; the reparations imposed by the Treaty of Versaolles exacerbating the economic threat, and the 'Stab in the Back' myth that came about from the ToV arguably heightened, or have strength to, the threat from the extreme right.
    Section A topics include;
    Kaiser's Germany 1900-1914; look at who had power, was Germany democratic, how did it survive, what were the effects of WW1 etc.

The democratic experiment 1919-1929; identify the main threats to the Weimar Republic, how did it survive, how stable were the golden years etc.

Hitler's Rise to Power 1929-1933; explore what it was that made Hitler chancellor - was it due to his skill and the Nazi party? Or did he get lucky as a result of miscalculations of Weimar politicians and external events?

Germany in wartime 1939-1945: consider how the war effected German morale, what opposition did the Nazis face? How strong was the Nazi economy? Strengths? Weaknesses? Why? What prompted The Final Solution (the holocaust)?

Section B: This question is worth 40 marks, therefore I advise you spend an hour on it. This is the source-based 'controversy question' - you will have looked at an ongoing historical debate and you get to have your say on things! Like in Section A, there will be a choice of two questions - some of you may have been prepared for just one of them, others may have been prepared for both. You will be given 3 secondary sources that wil come from prominent historians on the controversy you are assessing - it's a good idea to know which historians are the prominent ones as it will be useful to know their wider stance on the debate (remember, the source you get will come from a massive book of theirs! Many people are fooled and think what is written on those few lines in the source are the only things that the historian believes). In this question, it's of paramount of importance that you interrogate the interpretations of the historians, and this is where you use your own knowledge. You're like detectives - you are looking for the evidence to support their claims and if the evidence, in your opinion, doesn't agree with what they are saying then explain why you disagree with their interpretation. Remember, they will always give you at least two sources with different views so you are inevitably going to disagree with someone - it's so important you explain why! Why? Because, unlike last year, the weighting of be marks is slightly different. This year we will get 24 marks for source evaluation and 16 marks for use of our own knowledge (unlike last year where it was 24 marks for own knowledge and 16 marks for source evaluation). And those 16 marks don't come from just throwing in a fact here and there; as always, use your own knowledge to support or oppose an interpretation! (It's quite an exciting concept when you get into it - finally we get to really argue our views agains professional historians!)
    Section B controversy questions include;
    "To what extent was Germany responsible for the outbreak of the First World War?" - many say this is the simpler of the two controversies as the question is very much similar each year. Is Germany to blame? Here, you should be looking at their diplomacy, political desicions, international relationships etc.

"How popular and efficient were the Nazi Party 1933-1939?" - this question can be approached and asked from different angles. You will notice the question has two parts to it - popularity and efficiency. You will be asked about how popular Nazis were and for this you should focus on the different social groups ie the young, women etc. if it turns out they weren't so popular, what allowed them to stay in power? This brings us onto the second part - efficiency. What caused their 'maintenance of power? Terror? Popularity? Propaganda? Explore the different reasons. Also, how effective was Hitler has a leader in general? Did he take an active role or not? Ian Kershaw's "working toward the fuhrer" theory is good to read up on in relation to this - I will try and find a link to a good article and post it later.

I hope you understand the exam fully now as that is always the first step to success!

If anyone has any questions pop them below! We can all help each other get the grade we all need and deserve!

Let's start off by posting what we studied for AS;
    Unit 1: Stalin's Russia and the Civil Rights Movement
    Unit 2: Henry VIIIs Tudor England
    I am planning just to revise for this Question but is this the exact question that will come up or will there be a given factor e.g. terror
    "How popular and efficient were the Nazi Party 1933-1939?"
    Also, with own knowledge how much should you know to get maximum marks should you b referencing OK in where ever you can? if you could give a broad idea of for example how many times of using OK that would be great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kosovo123)
    I am planning just to revise for this Question but is this the exact question that will come up or will there be a given factor e.g. terror
    "How popular and efficient were the Nazi Party 1933-1939?"
    Also, with own knowledge how much should you know to get maximum marks should you b referencing OK in where ever you can? if you could give a broad idea of for example how many times of using OK that would be great.
    Hi

No that won't be the exact question that'll come up - that is just the broad topic question that the specification requires you study

They will tend to give you a factor or a quote around that idea of efficiency or around the idea of popularity, for example;

"The Nazi regime depended more on terror than its broad popularity. How far do you agree?"

As for own knowledge, the own knowledge itself only constitutes 16 marks, whereas your use of sources get you the 24 marks. BUT you can only really use the sources well if you have the own knowledge so you can challenge the interpretations so I think a fair amount of knowledge is needed but only use it purposefully to challenge or support a source

ReputationRep:
    Imagine if one of the people who wrote the question for this years spec came on to look at this thread

They would probably have a right laugh looking at us all guessing the topics when they know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddso)
    Imagine if one of the people who wrote the question for this years spec came on to look at this thread

They would probably have a right laugh looking at us all guessing the topics when they know!
    At least they can't change it

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.