The Student Room Group

Muslim doctor calls killing homosexuals "compassionate"

Scroll to see replies

Original post by chemting

These portraits were from the Ottoman Empire after the Sultan legalised homosexuality during Tanzimat reforms...

(Inb4 I get banned :colondollar:)

Leaving aside the rather racy nature of those pictures (and I'm pretty sure they're from before it was legalised, they much more resemble 16th century Persian or Ottoman artistic styles) in the Islamic world pre-20th century they were keen on lads in a way that was quite reminiscent of the classical world, in many parts of it they still are.
Original post by KingBradly
I think one of the most bewildering things about people like him is that they are so far into their topsy-turvy world that they think that to be supportive of a liberal society and criticise Islam for it's illiberalism is somehow contradictory, when they are the ones who are clearly harbouring severe contradictions.

Absolutely. In that sense I think the intellectual vitality of the left has been in decline for years now. The mainstream left used to have an interesting and vigorous economic analysis to offer, now all they have is identity politics. Thus they are driven to absurd heights of self-contradiction because they have to reconcile irreconcilable currents within their political cosmology (i.e. being both Islamophile and pro-gay)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by BeastOfSyracuse
Leaving aside the rather racy nature of those pictures (and I'm pretty sure they're from before it was legalised, they much more resemble 16th century Persian or Ottoman artistic styles) in the Islamic world pre-20th century they were keen on lads in a way that was quite reminiscent of the classical world, in many parts of it they still are.

Two of them were from a 19th century book, so it is "likely" (not certain) they'd be after the Tanzimat reforms. As for the other one, you're probably right lol :colondollar:

And yes you're right, any ideology banning homosexuality is banning ... well... human nature. When it comes to homosexuality, sometimes its the people who are the most against it are the ones that are gay themselves... :holmes:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Two of them were from a 19th century book, so it is "likely" (not certain) they'd be after the Tanzimat reforms. As for the other one, you're probably right lol :colondollar:

If they were from a 19th cent book they could have been copied from earlier paintings. But they were interesting anyway, I thought "Who do those lads remind me of?"

Of course the answer is the smoking hot Warwick University Rowing Team :sexface:

http://i.huffpost.com/gadgets/slideshows/448166/slide_448166_5973194_free.jpg

In the painting, those lads do seem to have rather wide hips. Almost child-bearing. From the near east oriental homoerotic art I've seen they did seem to appreciate almost slightly chubby youths, I wonder if it's because it's a slightly more feminised look? Not sure. Doesn't do anything for me, I prefer the Warwick Uni type guys :sexface:

And yes you're right, any ideology banning homosexuality is banning ... well... human nature. When it comes to homosexuality, sometimes its the people who are the most against it are the ones that are gay themselves... :holmes:

Most definitely. Not sure if you remember Pastor Ted Haggard. In the US he was a major figure in the anti-gay movement, campaigning against marriage equality and so on. He was caught snorting crystal meth off a rent boy's arse :lol:

Posted from TSR Mobile

"Homophobes Likely To Be Closet Gays, Study Finds"

http://www.ibtimes.com/homophobes-likely-be-closet-gays-study-finds-434958

"The Kingdom in the Closet"

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2007/05/the-kingdom-in-the-closet/305774/
(edited 8 years ago)

You might find this article I'm linking to quite interesting. It talks about how homosexuality was practiced in Iraq prior to the Westernisation of Iraq carried out by the Ba'ath Party in the 1960s and 1970s.

They talk about how homosexual rape is a common occurrence and it's called "breaking the eye"

http://gatesofvienna.net/2013/02/homosexuality-in-iraq-and-saudi-arabia/

It does read almost like a description of the sexuality you might see in a Roman city in the 1st century. I've always felt that Middle Eastern sexuality seemed to carry over many elements from the classical world, much more so than the West did
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yasminkattan
Then don't move to Saudi Arabia if you're homosexual. Simple as that. If a Saudi wishes to take part in homosexual activities, knowing fully well they'll be punished if they're found out as it's against Saudi law, they have the option of leaving the country.

You're implying I support ISIS for simply being against homosexuality? Sure, they go hand-in-hand don't they.

By your logic of solving problems....'Then Palestinians should GTFO and no-one say anything when Israel wants to build new settlements. Simple as that'. I bet you wouldn't ever be caught saying that, but for persecuted groups that go against Islam, you're happy to enable the evil-doers. Typical.
Original post by Oblivion99
If you're really so engrossed with Islam and Homosexuals, it was British Colonization which created laws against them which have now passed over to today generations, for example Pakistan. Now that you're a modern society, its normal.
"The Pakistan Penal Code of 1860, originally developed under colonialism, punishes sodomy with a possible prison sentence and has other provisions that impact the human rights of LGBT Pakistanis, under the guise of protecting public morality and order"

And they have had 67 years to reverse such rulings.

Whilst colonial rule under britian was by no means a moral paradise for gay rights or rights in general. if you defence requires you to go back 156 years then you are standing on shaky ground.

Colonial rule has a lot to be responsible for across the world, but don't use it as an excuse to defend a religious groups homophobia or any other moral fault.
i dont support homosexuality in any way shape or form but what the doctor said was wrong.
Saying they should be put to death is a bit too far imo.
They should be educated and be given the harsh truth though.
Whether they choose to believe it thats on them.
Original post by muslimstanisyed
i dont support homosexuality in any way shape or form but what the doctor said was wrong.

^ "Saying they should be put to death is a bit too far" LUL

Mass imported millions of people in the last year into Europe who think like this. Poor european LGBT community, poor European women - your world has become a much much more hostile and dangerous place
Original post by yasminkattan
Please show me where the Qur'an says the earth is flat. No one in the Islamic world believes the earth is flat, no scholar will ever say such a stupid thing.

Original post by Agrippatropes
Scholars have said such a stupid thing. In fact, popular muffassireen such as al-Jalalayn have read the Qur'an as saying the Earth is flat:

"As for His words sutihat, ‘laid out flat’, this on a literal reading suggests that the earth is flat, which is the opinion of most of the scholars of the [revealed] Law, and not a sphere as astronomers (ahl al-hay’a) have it, even if this [latter] does not contradict any of the pillars of the Law."

http://quranx.com/Tafsirs/88.20

Oh it's a bit too far? Good to know.
Ironic that you think it's them who ought to be educated.

You would support stopping short at earthly punishments, forced indoctrination and general nastiness?

What is the harsh truth? The harsh truth, to me, is that your superstitious claptrap outgrew its usefulness about 1,400 years ago, and that humans should be left to get on with their lives as long as they don't adversely affect others or seek to modify others' behaviour for superstitious reasons.

No it's not

Killing someone is still much worse (and this law will be challenged and overthrown should it be used to discriminate)

and as the article states

Governor Pence’s spokeswoman Kara Brooks claimed that “this bill is not about discrimination, and does not in any way legalise discrimination in Indiana,”
Original post by BaconandSauce
No it's not

Killing someone is still much worse (and this law will be challenged and overthrown should it be used to discriminate)

and as the article states

Governor Pence’s spokeswoman Kara Brooks claimed that “this bill is not about discrimination, and does not in any way legalise discrimination in Indiana,”

But this is a LAW.

I think if it was a law for Muslim doctors to kill homosexuals, it would be worse but it is not. Making discrimination and hatred a law is absolutely disgusting.

She can say it does not legalise discrimination when in actual fact it DOES.
Reply 316
Theres no place in the quran where it says homosexuality is punished by killing. ISIS do that. And anyone with a brain cell can see how muslim they are.
Original post by ellie0497
But this is a LAW.

I think if it was a law for Muslim doctors to kill homosexuals, it would be worse but it is not. Making discrimination and hatred a law is absolutely disgusting.

She can say it does not legalise discrimination when in actual fact it DOES.

and as stated

and does not in any way legalise discrimination
Original post by BaconandSauce
and as stated

and does not in any way legalise discrimination

So for businesses to deny service to gay people is not discriminating?

Allowing businesses to refuse service to people based on their sexual orientation perpetuates intolerance.
10414590_2008528865861674_4887933410081705865_n.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending