Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is transsexuality a mental disorder? Watch

• View Poll Results: Is transsexuality a mental disorder?
    Yes
    56.38%
    No
    43.62%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chaseyyy)
    If they believe they were born in the wrong body, why should they not be allowed to change? I mean you are practically saying that they should stay to their nature. Also not all of them have SRS or even take hormone therapy they just dress as the opposite gender, is that bad? I mean if you were born with a penis that doesn't mean you can't wear skirts and dresses. Its society that enforces these stereotypes and they of course aren't able to dress as the opposite gender without being stigmatized. but can I get your argument clear? Are you against people acting as the opposite gender or them going through hormone therapy and SRS
    If I go to my GP tomorrow and told him I "believe" that I should have been born with one arm therefore I would like to amputate my perfectly functional left arm then he would most likely suggest a mental health assessment (and rightly so). How is a male who wants to chop off his functional penis because he believes he should be a woman any different in this regard?

Yes, I think that they should stay as they are. Part of accepting who you are is accepting what you are physically born with instead of trying to artifically modify yourself to be something you're not. A person that does this is engaging in a form of self deception. They "believe" that are something they're not and attempt to bolster that belief via invasive surgery.

SRS and related transitioning therapies largely only artifically modify the external aesthetics.A male who seemingly transitions into woman is still a male inside. If they were truly meant to be a woman then wouldn't have to remain on hormone therapy in order to maintain their "female" status. That's what I find absurd, transitioning does not truly make a male into a female or vice versa - it merely gives people the impression that such a person is now of a different biological sex.
    Transitioning a process that is entirely rooted in artificiality. It uses surgery and associated therapies to enable a person to be something that they are clearly not. Surgery should be reserved for people who have life changing injuries or disabilities that will severely hamper their overall quality of life.

It should not to be given to people with healthy, functional bodies who think something has to be removed or modified merely because they believe they were born the "wrong way". Such people need treatment under a mental health team.
    I think the idea of wanting to act/dress as the opposite gender is the expression of a sexual fetish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    That is too literal, that may make sense linguistically but not scientifically.

The DSM has explicitly stated in their current or previous publication that a deviation from normal standards of society is not sufficient to constitute a disorder.
    But a Biological and Mental deviation that is so extensive that it overrides an organisms basic instinct to mate with an opposing gender....isn't considered a Disorder?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Three Mile Sprint)
    But a Biological and Mental deviation that is so extensive that it overrides an organisms basic instinct to mate with an opposing gender....isn't considered a Disorder?
    Presupposing that something is a fact without arguing it is a bit rich, don't you think?

Even so, it's against biology and mental capacity to believe in a God.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Does the lack of production off offspring constitute as sufficient suffering/ malfunctioning nowadays?

Should those in heterosexual marriages who chose not have children also be considered to have a disorder because of a mental deviation so extensive that it overrides the human instinct of reproduction?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Stefan*)
    Presupposing that something is a fact without arguing it is a bit rich, don't you think?

Even so, it's against biology and mental capacity to believe in a God.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What has a fictional sky-daddy got to do with this?

Were debating sexual attraction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Twinpeaks)
    Does the lack of production off offspring constitute as sufficient suffering/ malfunctioning nowadays?

Should those in heterosexual marriages who chose not have children also be considered to have a disorder because of a mental deviation so extensive that it overrides the human instinct of reproduction?
    Frankly yes, it is a disordered approach to life from a Natural standpoint.

We know life exists to procreate and further the Genetic Lineage...thats it.

ReputationRep:
    Frankly yes, it is a disordered approach to life from a Natural standpoint.

We know life exists to procreate and further the Genetic Lineage...thats it.
    Actually there's an abundance of very interesting theories (developed by people much more intelligent than you) with regards to this very concept and how having queer family members would increase the chances of said family unit successfully furthering their genetic lineage - similar to the role that fa'afafine people play in Samoan family units.

But of course, you'd be fully aware of these concepts if you'd actually done any research into what you're passing as views - as opposed to simply using them as some ~edgy~ statement about how being non cishet is fundamentally wrong as it's going against some vague concept of an absolute meaning of life...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nikolateslacles)
    Actually there's an abundance of very interesting theories (developed by people much more intelligent than you) with regards to this very concept and how having queer family members would increase the chances of said family unit successfully furthering their genetic lineage - similar to the role that fa'afafine people play in Samoan family units.

But of course, you'd be fully aware of these concepts if you'd actually done any research into what you're passing as views - as opposed to simply using them as some ~edgy~ statement about how being non cishet is fundamentally wrong as it's going against some vague concept of an absolute meaning of life...
    Yes but those theory's can just as easily be explained by closer social links too.

The only true studies are done on monozygotic twins who have been separated at birth.

As you can imagine that is extremely rare.

So neither of you can prove or disprove each other's point

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    please do enlighten me with the social explanation for females who have homosexual relatives being more fertile and for the numerous other X chromosome linkage theories

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inexorably)
    Yes, I do.

I do not think homosexuality, bisexuality etc. are disorders though, they're simply variations of sexual attraction. Whereas transsexuality is nothing like that at all.
    I agree with this. I think gay people are straight people that's how I see it. But transsexuality is not the same.

I don't think it's a mental illness completely I think it's more a result of a result of society's demand to be a man or a woman to act a specific way etc. That pushes some into having symptoms of dysmorphia. Kind of like anorexia I think. More like a condition from the society they grew up in.

ReputationRep:
    please do enlighten me with the social explanation for females who have homosexual relatives being more fertile and for the numerous other X chromosome linkage theories
    Please do enlighten me by linking your comprehensive study

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Please do enlighten me by linking your comprehensive study

Posted from TSR Mobile
    why would i do that when you've literally ignored all data and evidence that has been provided which contradicts your views lmao?

I honestly can't tell if you're genuinely an incredibly stupid transphobe trying to hide behind a facade of pseudo-intellectualism or some messy example of Poe's law gone wrong, but I can't say I care either. you're boring, have a nice life

ReputationRep:
    why would i do that when you've literally ignored all data and evidence that has been provided which contradicts your views lmao?

I honestly can't tell if you're genuinely an incredibly stupid transphobe trying to hide behind a facade of pseudo-intellectualism or some messy example of Poe's law gone wrong, but I can't say I care either. you're boring, have a nice life
    So in short no comprehensive study link for us to have a look at ok.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you are all the same type of people who were against homosexuality and regarded it as a mental illness 50 years ago and being transgender is not a mental disorder as it doesn't cause distress such as how depression and OCD but the gender dysphoria is which is why people infact change their gender to be more suited to it and not be distressed anymore. and dressing as the opposite gender is infact not a 'sexual fetish' because clothes suited to one gender are stereotypes, why shouldn't they dress as the other and in fact they don't regard themselves as male or female when they take the SRS, but infact transgender 'male' 'female' you are literally the type of people who exclude anything that is different in this society but sorry not everyone is the same and mutilating their genitals? They aren't mutilating their genitals but feel uncomfortable as they will never really feel like a man or women as they dont have the opposite genitalia. they feel like they are missing something which is why they do it and when they do take the surgery all they are going to lose is their reproductive system which many people don't even use and I love how not one female is on this post and all of you are men because you feel inadequate as how someone can 'chop their **** off' like **** off seriously. Overall you are all a bunch of transphobes

ReputationRep:
    Tbh you are all the same type of people who were against homosexuality and regarded it as a mental illness 50 years ago and being transgender is not a mental disorder as it doesn't cause distress such as how depression and OCD but the gender dysphoria is which is why people infact change their gender to be more suited to it and not be distressed anymore. and dressing as the opposite gender is infact not a 'sexual fetish' because clothes suited to one gender are stereotypes, why shouldn't they dress as the other and in fact they don't regard themselves as male or female when they take the SRS, but infact transgender 'male' 'female' you are literally the type of people who exclude anything that is different in this society but sorry not everyone is the same and mutilating their genitals? They aren't mutilating their genitals but feel uncomfortable as they will never really feel like a man or women as they dont have the opposite genitalia. they feel like they are missing something which is why they do it and when they do take the surgery all they are going to lose is their reproductive system which many people don't even use and I love how not one female is on this post and all of you are men because you feel inadequate as how someone can 'chop their **** off' like **** off seriously. Overall you are all a bunch of transphobes
    Never go full retard

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yes/No, like many other disorders it does not necessarily make a person unable to do regular things such as walking, talking etc. Though gender dysphoria can affect the person mentally. It depends on what you'd class as a disorder really.

ReputationRep:
    LGBT do not belong together.

It should be Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Straight. These are all sexual orientations and by that I mean all define a person based on who they fancy.

Transexual is not a sexuality in the way sexual orientation is. It's an identity issue relating to their actual sex and should not be bundled with orientation issues. For all intents and purposes it is a mental disorder of sorts. The fact is, female brain or not a male body, male genetics, etc are all still male. Having yourself mutilated to be something you're not born as is quite a severe pathology.

However some care needs to be taken with where you want to go with the designation of a mental disorder. Technically those who are religious believing in strange and absurd things have a mental disorder of some kind but there are only so many cases of that you would really condemn or refer for treatment.

There are many in the trans-community who are ideological extremists though. It is a new thing so the parameters for extremism have not really been well defined.

The most extreme and bizarre version of the disorder itself that I have seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY2ScZBCtQ

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrControversial)
    LGBT do not belong together.

It should be Lesbian, Gay, Bi-sexual and Straight. These are all sexual orientations and by that I mean all define a person based on who they fancy.

Transexual is not a sexuality in the way sexual orientation is. It's an identity issue relating to their actual sex and should not be bundled with orientation issues. For all intents and purposes it is a mental disorder of sorts. The fact is, female brain or not a male body, male genetics, etc are all still male. Having yourself mutilated to be something you're not born as is quite a severe pathology.

However some care needs to be taken with where you want to go with the designation of a mental disorder. Technically those who are religious believing in strange and absurd things have a mental disorder of some kind but there are only so many cases of that you would really condemn or refer for treatment.

There are many in the trans-community who are ideological extremists though. It is a new thing so the parameters for extremism have not really been well defined.

The most extreme and bizarre version of the disorder itself that I have seen is this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KvY2ScZBCtQ
    Very well said

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul514)
    Never go full retard

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Full retard? says the transphobe who apparently works for private mental health services, what a load of *******s

ReputationRep:
    Full retard? says the transphobe who apparently works for private mental health services, what a load of *******s
    Wow that's a lot of aspersions for one post

I suppose it's true to form for your last post

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.